News   Aug 30, 2024
 3.1K     1 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 706     0 

New Toronto Brand: "City of Unlimited Possibilities&quo

Re: New Toronto Brand: "City of Unlimited Possibilities

urban> Where is that city? Sounds neat.

Toronto Unlimited Ads

First off if you weren't one of the 4500 local residents who filled out the survey and gave your thoughts towards Toronto's Brand, you shouldn't be talking.

The consultation process was widely promoted throughout the GTA and only took a few minutes of your time to have your two cents worth.

Toronto Branding Project Video

Though at today's parade, there *wasn't* any big distribution of Toronto Unlimited paraphernalia to speak of--too bad, it was a terrific moment to make a big splash...

The Toronto Unlimited brand will be promoted during the Opening Ceremonies of the Celebrate Toronto Street Festival next Firday at Dundas Square.

MORE INFO:

The campaign consists of a full-colour ad featuring a prominent individual with an inspirational story and a profound connection to Toronto: world renown architect Frank Gehry (currently overseeing the redevelopment of the Art Gallery of Ontario) and Paul Shaffer ( band-leader and longtime collaborator on the David Letterman Show). A number of other storytellers will be showcased later in the summer and in Tourism Toronto’s Fall/Winter Campaign.

Gehry Ad

Paul Shaffer Ad

The newly branded ads will run from June 26 through August 7 in the Sunday Travel sections of the NY Times, Chicago Tribune, Washington Post, and Time Out New York .

In addition, Tourism Toronto’s summer retail campaign includes newly branded “July Unlimited†and “August Unlimited†calendars, or event-based ads, designed to entice visitors to Toronto by promoting timely offers and great experiences. The calendar ads will run concurrently in the border markets, as well as opposite the Toronto Stories ads in the major mid-haul market publications. Out-of-home ads supporting the Toronto Stories campaign will also appear on bus shelters in NY Chicago & Washington from mid-July through mid-August.

www.torontounlimited.ca/video.htm

Louroz

Re: Toronto Unlimited Ads

"First off if you weren't one of the 4500 local residents who filled out the survey and gave your thoughts towards Toronto's Brand, you shouldn't be talking."

How about if we were one of the local residents whose tax dollars went to paying for this? Are they allowed to voice their opinions in the world of governance according to FM?

Looking at that video, I can't see how any of the responses to those questions could have had any effect on the logo and brand that was the result. Just because the consultation process was decent does not mean that everyone must automatically support the final result.

(And for the record, I'm not completely opposed to the brand; I dislike some aspects (logo) but like others (slogan).)

First off if you weren't one of the 4500 local residents who filled out the survey and gave your thoughts towards Toronto's Brand, you shouldn't be talking.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion...by this reasoning well over 99% of the citizens of Toronto have no right to say anything whatsoever.

They could've done a better job advertising...I didn't receive any information or see any advertising on the consultation process at all.

Of course you contributed half a penny towards the cause, however my point is that you should have spoken up when given the opportunity.

IMO, there was plenty of media coverage and promotional ads in subway stations, newspapers, billboards and even threads on this board that asked for citizen participation.

I personally hate it when people complain about things but are not engaged in the process themselves, take voting in elections as an example.

This lack of engagement goes far beyond this one exercise. How many of you actually take the time to attend public meetings on such important issues as the New City of Toronto Act, Union Station, or the Waterfront?

Louroz

Of course you contributed half a penny towards the cause, however my point is that you should have spoken up when given the opportunity.

IMO, there was plenty of media coverage and promotional ads in subway stations, newspapers, billboards and even threads on this board that asked for citizen participation.

I personally hate it when people complain about things but are not engaged in the process themselves, take voting in elections as an example.

This lack of engagement goes far beyond this one exercise. How many of you actually take the time to attend public meetings on such important issues as the New City of Toronto Act, Union Station, or the Waterfront?

Louroz

I can't speak for anyone else, but I go to meetings when time allows...and I vote in every election.

Considering only 4500 people in the entire GTA participated - I'd have to question their effectiveness at getting the word out. I didn't see a single ad soliciting participation on the subway, newspaper, TV...anywhere.

In addition, most focus groups are pretty limited in numbers anyways.

I didn't know that the design process was open to the public. Anyway, I sent the letter below to "Toronto Unlimited" and they were nice enough to respond.

I wish I had something positive to say about your new Toronto Unlimited wordmark and logo.

"Toronto" the word is such a strong name graphically. The initials "T.O." have some international recognition and are also graphically very strong.

Unfortunately your campaign looks like it was designed by a committee. It's anemic and uninspiring. The teardrop shape is confusing. What significance does it have to Toronto?

I really think you should try again. Your branding doesn't come close to reflecting our city's energy and strength. Undoubtedly, your task was not an easy one but "the vision" that Toronto can share with the world is certainly much more dynamic and memorable than the campaign you have launched.

I would be happy to discuss this with you further if you would like.

Needless to say, I am very disappointed.

Looking at that video, I can't see how any of the responses to those questions could have had any effect on the logo and brand that was the result. Just because the consultation process was decent does not mean that everyone must automatically support the final result.

I totally agree...although the one segment where the guy said something along the lines of 'every street has a story to tell', that idea is not very well represented in the ads.

But a lot, if not most of it was quite irrelevant.

The Gehry ad...it's okay, but lacking. Don't care much for the layout, though the idea behind it and the Shafer ad is good. The Shafer ad is better...but I think they could've done something more effective.

What do those questions have to do with the logo or the Toronto Unlimited brand? Was part of the public process to have a logo and slogan competition? I think design competitions are the best way to come up with a brand, not a focus group asking questions with nothing to do with the logo and slogan or asking users to pick between pre-selected choices without the option of dismissing them all. Can someone who was at these sessions, which I would have happily gone to if I had known about it, tell me how a room full of people decided that Toronto Unlimited, a wacky front, and a bent TO logo represents Toronto and is unique to Toronto.... and how is it better than "Toronto: You belong here" which was complete with matching music? Shouldn't the goal of switching a marketing slogan be to improve upon it? Did they ask the focus groups which is better "Toronto Unlimited" with a bent TO logo, or "Toronto: You belong here" with a catchy tune?

unlimited2.jpg

Tourism ad in Times touts past events
Advertisement `violates Marketing 101,' councillor charges
Agency defends promo, arguing it shows range of activities

VANESSA LU
CITY HALL BUREAU CHIEF

Tourism Toronto has stumbled with yet another ad promoting the city — this time touting events that are already over.

The latest colour ad appeared in the travel section of Sunday's New York Times under the banner "July Unlimited." It featured eight events happening this month, but four were already under way or finished.

The ad highlighted the Festival of Fire at Ontario Place, which ended last Saturday, and the Casa Loma Renaissance Festival, which ran from July 1 to 4. It also touted the Molson Indy and the Toronto Outdoor Art Exhibition, both of which wound up on Sunday.

Elizabeth Gill, project leader for the Toronto Branding Project, defended the ad, saying it was not a mistake.

"The objective is to give people an idea of the diversity and range of things that happen in Toronto," Gill said.

As people see advertising about Toronto, they will have a better idea of what's available here, including arts, music, museums and sporting events, she said.

Gill argued that many people don't even know that Toronto has an Indy, and if someone read Sunday's ad, they might think about coming to next year's Molson Indy.

"It's working. It's generating interest," she said, adding Web hits jump 25 per cent when such advertising runs. "It helps build an image of Toronto."

The ad is part of a $4 million rebranding campaign to sell Toronto to the world. A new logo and slogan for the city — Toronto Unlimited — were unveiled last month. This summer, the tourism office has bought multi-page newspaper ads in New York, Chicago and Washington in hopes of luring U.S. visitors here.

Councillor Brian Ashton, who sits on Tourism Toronto's board, believes the ad doesn't work.

"I wouldn't want to shop with these people. They'd be picking milk off the shelf that's past its due date," said Ashton (Ward 36, Scarborough Southwest). "This just violates Marketing 101."

He said it looks like a mistake and that Toronto can't even get its dates right.

Duncan Ross, the city's executive director of tourism, said any type of advertising about Toronto could be effective.

"Even though the ad may have featured some events that ended, it really does work to position the affluent traveller (with the idea) that something's always going on," Ross said. "Sometimes you have to recognize that people book the week of for the weekend."

The mayor's office yesterday tried to distance itself from Tourism Toronto, pointing out it is an arm's-length agency that decides how to spend its advertising budget.

"Tourism Toronto are the people who have to answer for these ads," said Patchen Barss, Mayor David Miller's spokesman. "The city didn't place these ads. The city didn't check the copy."

Why.didn't.they.hire.a.local.firm???

The latest colour ad appeared in the travel section of Sunday's New York Times under the banner "July Unlimited." It featured eight events happening this month, but four were already under way or finished.

The ad highlighted the Festival of Fire at Ontario Place, which ended last Saturday, and the Casa Loma Renaissance Festival, which ran from July 1 to 4. It also touted the Molson Indy and the Toronto Outdoor Art Exhibition, both of which wound up on Sunday.

LOL!

Elizabeth Gill, project leader for the Toronto Branding Project, defended the ad, saying it was not a mistake.

"It's working. It's generating interest," she said, adding Web hits jump 25 per cent when such advertising runs. "It helps build an image of Toronto."

If you're going to spend $4 million, come up with a brand, and plaster it everywhere, of course it will generate interest, good or bad.

The question is, are they promoting a "good" image and brand of Toronto? I'd say it's lacking.

Back