3.1K     1 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 698     0 

New Toronto Brand: "City of Unlimited Possibilities&quo

Re: New Toronto Brand: "City of Unlimited Possibilities

also:

ontarioplace_tor_131152_4Z.gif

I think the use of the word "unlimited" is not a description of what Toronto is now, but a dream for what it wants to be in the future. Think of all the stuff in this city that are "limited" right now, but we want to have an infinite supply of... municipal funding, businesses, world-class landmarks, beautiful waterfront land, residents, downtown workers, subway lines, Stanley Cup wins... the list goes on and on. This branding might give the city a sense of optimism that it never really had.

nasty font - I first read that as Loronto (for some reason), then Joronto then Toronto finally.

That's not a T! :)

Re: Toronto Unlimited in Time Out New York

" They look like ads for a pharmaceutical company, selling a variety of prescription antidepressants."

This is not only funny, but bang on. This stuff looks like it was done by the same firm that does ads for BP (British Petroleum).

I am not sure we need the redundant "TO" fancy logo beside the word "Toronto." Something a little more representative of the city (something incorporating the skyline or something with fricken meaning) would have been better than an exercise in trying to join two letters to make a meaningless logo (for the sake of having a logo).

Well we are depressed, as a city, so maybe the little paxil balloons, and prozac happy notes, and wellbutrin forks and spoons will keep us appropriately cheerful and sedated whenever we see them in print.

Stepford Unlimited. Population 4 million.

alkay,

I think the idea is to get people wondering. Dropping a skyline into the logo or wherever would at least partially answer the question of "WTF is this all about?" I think is done the way it is to build interest and make people look into it on their own.

Designing Logos is a tough business.
That said..this logo has 1969-1970 written all over it. (the Ontario Place example is a good one). Not that isn't a bad thing in itself but it does look a bit antiseptic and the font is kind of strange. Perhaps it will grow on me.

As far as putting a skyline in the logo...well that is a pretty cliché..although I don't mind Toronto's existing logo.

However the writing for these ads is really lame. I would expect them to at least try to be grammatical..

Everyday's an international film festival?
Wouldn't that be "every day is an international film festival"?

They are attention grabbing though..I do tend to like a clean look.

4 million buck for that?! incredible!! isnt that like the entire annual budget of the toronto arts council? Think of all the arts projects that money could've funded! >:

1.3 mill to create it & 2.7 to promote it.

I think the use of the word "unlimited" is not a description of what Toronto is now, but a dream for what it wants to be in the future. Think of all the stuff in this city that are "limited" right now, but we want to have an infinite supply of... municipal funding, businesses, world-class landmarks, beautiful waterfront land, residents, downtown workers, subway lines, Stanley Cup wins... the list goes on and on. This branding might give the city a sense of optimism that it never really had.

Since this is a tourism campaign, I'd have to disagree. I think they're promoting the idea that this is a city of unlimited possibilities...or trying to at least.

Promoting the idea that we're limited now and that we want to be unlimited in the future is a terrible tourism campaign...too internal and negative.

Here are some responses to it from the Star (the last one is amusing/sad). They're pretty much all negative. Can't disagree with a lot of them.

Voices: Toronto rebranded

We asked what you think of the City of Toronto's new "Toronto unlimited" logo and ad campaign? (See examples at torontounlimited.ca). Here's what you had to say:

The logo needs to be more optimistic, and less sterile - it is a bit too bland and needs to radiate what Toronto is. Toronto is culture, opportunity for business and for growth, and most importantly Toronto is a warm city alive in every way.
Ben Rodriguez, Markham, June 24

I think the Toronto Unlimited Logo is not worth $1,000, let alone the kind of money spent to design. For that kind of money an entire brand identity and communication strategy should have been developed. Misguided political decisions such as these assume an identity can increase tourism, rather than beautiful architecture, art and culture which are sorely lacking in TO.
Mark Pajot, Thornhill, June 24

I was disappointed by the new logo and slogan. Both are so simplistic and generic that they could be applied to anything. The result looks more like the product of a $400 effort than $4,000,000. Sorry - back to the drawing board, please.
Dave Vellekoop, Toronto, June 24

Typical. Corporate, cold, dull, and pretentious. Doesn't do anything for me. Sounds like a business that imports paper products.
Bill MacKenzie, Toronto, June 24

When I opened page A3 I was curious as to why there were huge pictures of what looked like sperm and maybe an IUD device on the page. I thought the article might be about new technology in birth control, so I examined it a little further. Much to my dismay I found these images to be part of a new $4 million campaign to boost tourism in the city of Toronto. Exactly how much did the city pay "consultants" to come up with these logos that can have such a powerful association to a casual reader?
Kathryn Kaiser, Brantford, June 24

Toronto Unlimited? Sounds like a company name to me. And why was $4M of taxpayer funds spent to create this? I could have come up with that in a minute for free!
Peter Choi, Vaughan, June 24

It's OK, I suppose. No embarrassment, but nothing very exciting either. Seems kind of safe and middle of the road, much like the city itself. Maybe one day we'll realize it's OK to express some pizzazz and exuberance. One can only hope.
Larry Blitz, Toronto, June 24

I find it to be a little boring (as slogans go)...We should be able to come up with something more interesting, creative or at least clever. This slogan may as well be "Toronto The Boring"...we have a great city and this slogan just doesn't cut it. But if all these focus & research groups love it; then I must be wrong.
Lem Nowell, Toronto, June 24

So, Toronto, one of the most multicultural cities in the world, is now limited to look like a cold, faceless, uninviting bank or other corporation. As a former advertising/promotion executive I give this approach an F-minus and I recommend that it be stopped immediately.
Adrian Harvey, Toronto, June 24

I love Toronto. I have been there more than a dozen times. But I don't really care for the new logo and campaign. As a graphic designer, I think the logo and typeface looks like it came from the 70's. I'm kinda sad, since I want people to experience and fall in love with Toronto like I have. I don't see this getting anyone too excited.
Brent Frey, York, PA, June 24

I don't like the ad. I think it looks very juvenile and reinforces the fact that Toronto is not a world-class city.
Natalie Reeves, Toronto, June 24

Yikes, maybe they should have tested out some different options first before throwing all their money into this. Interestingly enough, pretty much all the observations about the logos/slogan are right, both positive and negative. Maybe that is a good sign?

Where did the funding come from?

A total of $4 million was invested in the project to cover consumer
research, brand development and the launch of marketing efforts. The initial investment of $2 million from Tourism Toronto's Destination Marketing Fee was combined with contributions of $1 million from the Province of Ontario, $500,000 from the Federal Government and $500,000 from the Toronto City Summit Alliance's corporate partners.

Isn't Tourism Toronto primarily funded by corporate partners? Obviously the Toronto City Summit Alliance's portion is corporate.

I'm just trying to get an idea of who directed the process. For Tourism Toronto, they claim over 900 members and list Air Canada and City of Toronto as major partners.

City Council seems to have a small role aside from the "Honorary Chairman":
www.torontotourism.com/Ab...ectors.htm

Where did the funding come from?

A total of $4 million was invested in the project to cover consumer
research, brand development and the launch of marketing efforts. The initial investment of $2 million from Tourism Toronto's Destination Marketing Fee was combined with contributions of $1 million from the Province of Ontario, $500,000 from the Federal Government and $500,000 from the Toronto City Summit Alliance's corporate partners.

Isn't Tourism Toronto primarily funded by corporate partners? Obviously the Toronto City Summit Alliance's portion is corporate.

I'm just trying to get an idea of who directed the process. For Tourism Toronto, they claim over 900 members and list Air Canada and City of Toronto as major partners.

City Council seems to have a small role aside from the "Honorary Chairman":
www.torontotourism.com/Ab...ectors.htm

And Im just trying to get an idea of who

a) directed the focus groups

and

b) who was in the focus groups!

And Im just trying to get an idea of who

a) directed the focus groups

For the Toronto Branding Project, today's announcement at the Historic Distillery District was the culmination of a 13-month process with over 4,500 local survey responses and 230-plus in-depth interviews and roundtable discussions with key brand stakeholders (leaders in the leisure and consumer travel and convention business, as well as academics and public sector
organizations). In addition, 14 focus groups were conducted in Canada, the U.S. and the U.K.

I'm going to guess it was 4500 multiple choice phone surveys (416 and 905 area code -- do you strongly agree, agree, ...), 230 interviews / roundtable discussions with members of Toronto Tourism (sponsors), and the 14 focus groups were probably various marketing firms specializing in travel or tourism.

I don't remember seeing any meeting notices for anything that big, so I presume it was phone surveys.

Back