News   Aug 30, 2024
 3.3K     2 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 3.1K     1 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 702     0 

New Toronto Brand: "City of Unlimited Possibilities&quo

Re: Toronto Unlimited in Time Out New York

That said..this logo has 1969-1970 written all over it. (the Ontario Place example is a good one). Not that isn't a bad thing in itself but it does look a bit antiseptic and the font is kind of strange. Perhaps it will grow on me.

If you're a young ad firm/logo design dude who was conditioned in youth on clubbing and chill CDs, to have 1969-70 written all over it is "good"...

So, to sum up:

ontarioplace_tor_131152_4Z.gif
plus.jpg
part27.jpg
plus.jpg
Ducks-Unlimited-logo.gif

equals.gif
logo-large.gif

Can't wait 'til someone nicknames it "David Miller's Hairdryer"

The only logo that is memorable is the old one which was blue and green and had a silhouette of the skyline as viewed from the southwest showing the Ontario Place globe, a sailboat, and the CN Tower. I wish I could find it somewhere to post on here. This new thing makes a nice corporate logo but sucks for tourism purposes. There is nothing "Toronto" about the logo. The Toronto 96 bid logo had fireworks and said "fun, awe and excitement". This new logo says "corporate, and boring"... the only thing it has going for it is the colour but the ads seem to have more whitespace than colour.

The only logo that is memorable is the old one which was blue and green and had a silhouette of the skyline as viewed from the southwest showing the Ontario Place globe, a sailboat, and the CN Tower.

For some reason, I'm having problems remembering it. Perhaps because even if these individual iconic images "relate" to Toronto, they're so hackneyed that they don't register in spite of themselves.

And if TO Unlimited suffers from a case of the 69-70s, this sounds more like a case of the one-decade-later-or-so--and such Christopher Cross-era graphic design has a way of being so apparently well-conceived and "tasteful", it doesn't stick...

Can't wait 'til someone nicknames it "David Miller's Hairdryer"
Well, not quite, but Donato in the Sun today has already shown the logo morphing from David Miller into a gun, because, as we all know, no one in Toronto was ever shot prior to Miller becoming mayor...

as we all know, no one in Toronto was ever shot prior to Miller becoming mayor

That is an interesting tidbit of information that only a Fiendish Librarian would know. I'm definitely not voting for Miller next term because his get lax on crime plan obviously isn't working :)

Anyways, the new logo easily transforms into a penis for gay pride week and thats all that matters.

There is a full two-page spread with the new logo in today's New York Times, featuring Transformation AGO.

Though at today's parade, there *wasn't* any big distribution of Toronto Unlimited paraphernalia to speak of--too bad, it was a terrific moment to make a big splash...

the spread in the NYT was great...very prominent (in the front section, page 13-14 i think), with the gehry thing on one page and what i found to be, frankly, an honest, fairly articulate, and convincing summing up of why new yorkers (or anyone else) should be interested in toronto on the other.

after referring to it as the "most underrated city in north america" the longish blurb focussed on the city as an experiential destination--not on big-ticket attractions. clearly, this is a widespread conclusion among outsiders, as both the timeout and lonely planet guides to the city make this very same point in their introductions, along with the new-york-based architects of this particular campaign.

all in all, i would say that the city finally has tourism marketing that corresponds with its great strengths--vibrant, hip neighbourhoods, cultural diversity, great streetlife and general "buzz" rather than flogging major attractions that are unlikely to attract visitors from places like NYC, chicago, or london that will always have bigger and better museums and historic sites.

incidentally, i read the NYT ad on the way home from a weekend in chicago, which is a city that is very long on the major attractions, but, frankly, glaringly, horribly short on interesting neighbourhoods or decent streetlife outside of the loop/river north (the wonderful wicker park being the exception, though even it would at best be a fairly weak competitor to, say, queen west in terms of vibrancy). so in other words, it seems to me that the focus of the unlimited campaign makes sense from a marketing standpoint because it plays to our strengths and to (some) others' weaknesses.

word is that the gehry ad is to be the first in a series of famous torontonians talking about the city, or places in it, in print ads--not that gehry is really a torontonian, but i guess that his star power was too great to resist. it would be great to have, say, mike myers talk about the second city, or jane jacobs about the annex, or the barenaked ladies about the danforth, or margaret atwood, and the list goes on and on...

time to end this overlong post and go to bed. but this stuff is very exciting. one more piece falls into place for the t-dot...

John Barber blasts "Toronto Unlimited" campaign

The new Toronto: corporate, witless and uninspired
Headshot of John Barber

By JOHN BARBER

Wednesday, June 29, 2005 Page A12Key

There was no applause, neither gasps nor boos, indeed no reaction whatsoever when the massed bureaucrats and consultants triumphantly unveiled Toronto's new brand identity, with logo and tagline, in the Distillery District last week. But it would be unfair to say that the silence was stunned.

Instead it was the silence of typically Torontonian resignation: Sure the brand is bad, we silently reflected -- corporate, witless, uninspired. But it could be worse. Instead of merely banal, it could be embarrassing. So let us be thankful for small mercies.

But that slow cringe curdled into a full cramp this weekend when the same bureaucrats and consultants rolled out our new brand in a two-page advertisement in the Sunday New York Times. The ad's main message, titled "Toronto: an eclectic tour of an eclectic city," is more than embarrassing. It is all-out excruciating.

It would take the rest of this column simply to enumerate the grammatical errors in those few short paragraphs, without even considering their pomposity, emptiness and pathetic dependence on idiotic clichés. Toronto is "perhaps" the most underrated city in North America, it begins, known mainly for cleanliness and politeness.

"And while all these answers are true. It is barely scratching the surface. Toronto is one of those rare instances where its true unique nature makes it difficult to describe without being cliché."

Thus our anonymous author -- likely one of the New York experts Tourism Toronto hired to provide us with an identity -- licenses himself to pile on the clichés, in the same tortured, unreadable style. The ad reads like an instant Google translation of a Japanese website. Its main message is that Toronto is a city of sub-literate poseurs with nothing, nothing, nothing, absolutely nothing to say.

Truth in advertising, you say? Ouch.

Although Mayor David Miller was unavailable yesterday, his press secretary went out of his way to provide "no comment" on the ad, volunteering in addition that both it and the entire $4-million branding effort is a project of Tourism Toronto, not the city, and financed largely by that group's hotel levy.

Others are not so reticent. While the new logo may simply seem dull to the rest of us, more than one local designer considers it offensive. "It's really sad, it's unprofessional, it's backwards," sighed award-winning designer Art Niemi of Atlanta Art and Design. "But it probably represents Toronto perfectly. No one here ever seems to have time to find the best and the brightest."

Mr. Niemi is especially nonplussed to know why the designers chose a 1920s Bauhaus typeface to represent modern Toronto. And the way the already weak logo is undermined by its transformation into musical notes and sperm-shaped balloons drives him crazy. "To a graphic designer looking at that, it's as bad as if they misspelled the word Toronto," he says.

The tragedy is that Tourism Toronto and its camel-making partners in this effort began by rejecting two entirely credible efforts -- both a new mark and slogan.

The slogan, produced on the fly by a local agency virtually in the midst of the SARS crisis, was "You belong here." It was both an appropriately friendly come-on to tourists and a simple, affecting statement of the modern city's proudest achievement, its huge inclusiveness.

Instead, we adopted "unlimited," which is meaningless.

The mark was created in the same flush by Bruce Mau, not only a Torontonian but probably the most famous graphic designer alive. It was a striking, canted "T" built up from individual "pixels" that could be shaded or filled with imagery to convey any number of messages without undermining the strong presence of the basic device.

The slogan quickly began appearing everywhere, graffiti-style, and Mr. Mau was ready to start printing T-shirts and shopping bags almost two years ago.

But instead of taking a risk with something fresh, spontaneous and popular, the bureaucrats went to New York. It was an expensive trip, with excruciating results.

I could not have said it better myself. Bring back Mau's slogan and logo.

Re: John Barber blasts "Toronto Unlimited" campaig

Please visit 'somehow majestic' Toronto

Royson James
Toronto Star

It's not often that Toronto gets to tell its story to the world. Good thing, too, judging by the two-page ad in last Sunday's New York Times.

One page features star architect and Toronto-born Frank Gehry. I'm cool with that.

The other page promises readers, "Toronto: an eclectic tour of an eclectic city." It delivers no such thing.

The 600-plus word essay is wordy, poorly written, riddled with inanity, conflicted and apologetic, negative where it should be positive, and is passive in voice and tone instead of "compelling and action-inspiring," as its authors intended.

Sentences roam aimlessly hinged by poor syntax, grammar and punctuation and, in parts, wholly incomprehensible.

Consider this, word for word, near the beginning, "And while all these answers are true. It is barely scratching the surface. Toronto is one of those rare instances where its true unique nature makes it difficult to describe without being clich?."

In short, the effort is sophomoric and weak.

Saddest of all, the bright minds at Tourism Toronto spent 13 months, did 4,500 surveys, conducted 230 in-depth interviews and held 14 focus groups in Canada, the U.S. and the U.K. and budgeted $4 million to deliver the flawed campaign.

Tell us, please, that this "rebranding" of Toronto is some sort of spoof. `Cause, if it's not, somebody ought to be hanged on Nathan Phillips Square.

In fact, Tourism Toronto's coming out party, complete with new logo, "Toronto Unlimited" brand name and multimillion-dollar advertising campaign, is proving an embarrassment.

The source of the angst? The ads, the very vehicle expected to deliver tourists to the newly branded city of imagination.

"I'm going to get into trouble for saying it, but this is lousy," said Councillor Brian Ashton yesterday after reading the Times ad for the first time.

"It reads like some sort of a apologetic flow of consciousness," Ashton said, falling into synch with the tenor of the ad.

"The city of Toronto, just a 90-minute flight from New York, is perhaps the most underrated city in North America," the essay begins.

A bit negative, sure. But not nearly as bad as what follows.

I can live with "Toronto Unlimited," the new obtuse tag line that goes with the new logo.

I can imagine how the logo, deliberately understated and underwhelming, might wheedle itself subliminally into the consciousness of unsuspecting tourists and lure them to the Little Apple or the T-dot.

I can even figure why it took so long and cost so much to produce a brand that many have ridiculed since its launch last week. After all, the $4 million cost includes the purchase of multi-page newspaper ads in New York, Chicago, Washington and the two-page local ads running here.

But for the life of me, I can make neither head nor tail of the essay, the words that are supposed to sing, to lure, to attract, to compel and finally convince tourists to flock to Toronto, the best undiscovered treasure city in North America.

Neither can Councillor Ashton, who led the political arm of the branding initiative as chair of the economic development and tourism committee. They signed off on the Toronto Unlimited tag and logo but have not seen the ads.

Tourism Toronto used to depend on city council for funding, but no longer needs property tax dollars. Most of its money now comes from a tax on visitors using GTA hotel rooms. Suddenly, an outfit that couldn't promote its product for want of cash is flush.

Consequently, Toronto cut its annual funding this year to $500,000 from $3 million. And with the cut, Tourism Toronto has sought more independence.

The ad campaign suggests it needs more oversight.

Some samples:

"Toronto is nearly indefinable, nearly infinite in its possibilities for the traveller, and nearly impossible to forget once you've been there. And perhaps what makes this place so original, so individual and somehow majestic is that it is a product of natural occurrences."

"It's supposed to be punchy, to the point. People don't have time. It should be big, bold, brash," Ashton said.

And how about this? "And how else to best explain it but to begin not with the impressive CN Tower or any major skyline player, but with those intersections, streets and districts whose mention conjures up completely original feelings in each of those who've traversed them."

The ad works as an essay to be dissected on an English exam. But as advertising copy, it reeks.

Mayor David Miller, the city's chief booster, was so put off by the ad he ducked all questions about it yesterday.

"It's Tourism Toronto that has to answer for the ad," said Miller's spokesman Patchen Barss.

Is the mayor proud of the ad?

"He's decided not to comment," Barss said sheepishly.

Do you think the ad represents the city well?

"We just want to say it's been reported erroneously that money from the city went into the ads. Not a penny did," Barss says, trying to change course.

We get the message.

Before they run the second ad next week and before they take the ads to Ontario towns, Rochester, Buffalo, London, England, and beyond, Tourism Toronto might want to do a rewrite.

Re: John Barber blasts "Toronto Unlimited" campaig

mea culpa:

i read the text very fast--such that i think i noticed the message more than the grammar.

on second inspection, they could really have used some editing. major editing. but i still like the general idea...(of the ads, not just the 80s art collective)

eye too

eye - 06.30.05
www.eye.net/eye/issue/iss...orial.html

EDITORIAL
Limited imagination

editorial.JPG

We'll admit we were skeptical of this whole Toronto branding process. We like to think of cities as organic collective entities, not corporations; collections of citizens, not "stakeholders"; something to live in, not to sell. So the ever-greater corporatization of the language we use to discuss civic life (the "unveiling of a single brand identity for the city...") had us a little concerned from the get-go.

But we also understood that all that talk about being competitive in the global marketplace and developing an identity on the international stage was not completely without merit. Perhaps something akin to "I love New York" or "Vermont is for lovers" or "We'll always have Paris" could be a healthy rallying cry for all the Torontopians running wild in our streets and a calling card for our city among foreigners.

So we kept an open mind about the whole thing until the final package was delivered June 23 in a gala party at the Ultra Supper Club. There, among a crowd of white-bread suits, we enjoyed complimentary champagne, shrimp and rack of lamb and finally saw the results of 13 months and $4 million worth of branding-expert labour: a logo that looks like a spermatozoon and the lifeless tagline "Toronto unlimited."

This was accompanied by some acceptably multicultural music and dance performances and a short platitudinous monologue about Toronto's thriving musical, filmic, ethnic and artistic diversity, our city-of-neighbourhoods culture and our history of technological and scientific innovation.

There wasn't anything wrong with the presentation (except the bland logo and tagline) but there wasn't anything right with it. After "4,500 local survey responses and 230-plus in-depth interviews and roundtable discussions with key brand stakeholders," why did the presentation look like something that could apply pretty much to any big city anywhere on the planet?

Things got worse from there, with a two-page advertising spread in the Sunday New York Times on June 26 putting the new brand to work for an international tourist audience. We sat for half an hour with the paper open in front of us, aghast at how some ad agency had applied incompetent execution to the original blasé concept: riddled with typos and grammatical errors ("And while all of these answers are true. It is barely scratching the surface"; "For seventeen years the Beaches International Jazz Festival fills the city of Toronto with jazz") the ad weakly tries to provide some specifics.

After the cliché that Toronto is "difficult to describe without being cliché," the ad profiles a few neighbourhoods in the most generic and puzzling terms. Little Italy is home to trucker-hat wearing hipsters and "'old school' residents" who parade in the streets all summer; Chinatown is so crowded as to make movement difficult and sells cheap luggage; Yorkville is "Rodeo Drive North"; Greektown is a cultural hotbed because of the great "cuisine people and events. [sic]"

The ad highlights the Casa Loma Renaissance Festival without mentioning that Casa Loma is a freaking castle in the middle of the city. It plugs the Molson Indy as "one of Canada's largest sporting events," without telling the audience what sport the event features, or that the event itself is staged in the streets near our lakeshore.

Leave aside the sophomoric prose and the questionable strategy of pitching New Yorkers on a crowded Chinatown, great shopping and a thriving Little Italy (as if they'd need to travel to find those things). And leave aside that it calls us clichéd and makes us look illiterate. There's nothing in the ad -- or in the branding strategy that inspired it -- that expresses what residents and tourists love about Toronto.

Every time we go through one of these marketing exercises, the folks in charge seem to miss the essence of Toronto. Ours is a city that is only pretty on the inside. Viewed from a wide angle, we're kind of ugly and boring. It's only when you start poking around that you realize nearly every corner of Toronto holds something beautiful -- from the Farm at Riverdale Park to the Wavelength Music Series to the anarchists and fishmongers who share dominion over Kensington Market to the festive atmosphere in Sunnybrook park when swarms of immigrants set up picnics and cricket tournaments on long weekends. Every Torontonian could tell you a different story, and nearly every one would be more appealing than the story told by the Toronto unlimited branding team.

Perhaps that should be the lesson of this expensive process. If you want to tell Toronto's story, you shouldn't just have our citizens fill out surveys for a marketing team to package. You should actually put our city's people and places in the ads rather than vaguely describing them. You should let people who make Toronto great tell the world why they love it. And spend the millions on a party to celebrate them.

Back