News   Jul 12, 2024
 816     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 334     0 

New Torch Retail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remington's with window dancers?

Oh dear....why do I bother......? Get out the spoon I guess.

Details are still being finalized but... the search... for a new anchor tenant to be the engine of Torch's rebirth, appears to be over.

+ silly "goggle" pic + previously reported media company = ???

Place answer here: __________________

?
Yes it's microbrewery in a Hakim optical store (micro=hard to see).

Interesting. I wonder what they'll be doing that will require such a prominent and high-exposure location.

Google is planning to spend $8 billion globally to get into the wireless business. Next year in Canada there will be a spectrum auction held [auctioning of wireless airwaves - essential to building a wireless network] that Google is expected to bid on, in order to break into the Canadian market and start offering reasonable rates for wireless access to the net [currently Canada has some of the highest rates on the planet, it's quite ridiculous actually]. The big cellphone companies are going to try and outbid everyone else next year, in order to keep their monopoly [and it's crazy high prices] going for as long as they can. Google hopefully will be able to shaft them. I wish them luck.

Oh dear....why do I bother......? Get out the spoon I guess.

Wasn't too big a spoon, was it? ;)

Will they be serving beer?

If there was one thing I liked about Torch, it was the rooftop terrace.

Well, it's a great company, I'll be pleased to see them overlooking Dundas Sq.

I wonder if they're planning on overhauling the building. It could use opening up of the walls that were originally planned to be windows and finishing the ads on the roof and the never finished ticker.

Google is perfect. To repeat my earlier post on this thread, they can show YouTube videos on the screens and have ad banners scrolling along the sides.
If true, this is a match made in heaven.

I'd skip all that in exchange for a good drinking facility up top.

I still can't see why Google would want a building as they presently don't have any retail sales (but I am open minded and am prepared to be pleasently surprised). Even with their rumoured wireless entry, it is unclear as to whether they will even bid, let alone win spectrum. It is even more unclear as to whether they will actually physically sell phones (as opposed to doing everything online or going through other carriers and just offering web access for free...or a fee). And even if they win spectrum, it may take a year or two to roll things out.

Were Google to get the frequencies they're after...

...I'd love it if they went GSM and went with the iPhone.

I can dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back