779     2 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 658     0 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 2.7K     2 

New Torch Retail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if the Torch has got Google, hopefully it'll get goo goo googly eyes as well

Wait.. hang on.. has nobody thought of this?? ...

... Google owns YouTUBE! Imagine how they could use this building in that context. A YouTUBE camera booth à lá Speakers Corner, displaying the best of YouTUBE on the Torch screen... so many possibilities when you think of this building for YouTUBE as opposed to Google itself.

Google is perfect. To repeat my earlier post on this thread, they can show YouTube videos on the screens and have ad banners scrolling along the sides.
If true, this is a match made in heaven.

Wait.. hang on.. has nobody thought of this?? ...

... Google owns YouTUBE! Imagine how they could use this building in that context. A YouTUBE camera booth à lá Speakers Corner, displaying the best of YouTUBE on the Torch screen... so many possibilities when you think of this building for YouTUBE as opposed to Google itself.

Yes. Somebody did ;)

Yeah, actually read the posts in the thread.

(Don't make me post a smiley too!)

Sorry Patriot, but you emailed PenInequity, the masters of all things slow, the organization that make snails look Olympian in speed, the company where patience is not a virtue but an epitaph.

You may get an email response one day, it's just that you may be too old and senile to understand it when it arrives.

They are the disciplines of lethargy.

Sorry Patriot, but you emailed PenInequity, the masters of all things slow, the organization that make snails look Olympian in speed, the company where patience is not a virtue but an epitaph.

You may get an email response one day, it's just that you may be too old and senile to understand it when it arrives.

They are the disciplines of lethargy.

I doubt you will hear back. I've emailed them before and never ever heard anything back.

Has anybody noticed this statement on the Olympic Spirit site:

Closing Doors on Dundas Square -
Olympic Spirit Toronto to Open at New Venue

Toronto, Canada - July 26, 2006

The local licensee and operator of Olympic Spirit Toronto, Toros Entertainment Inc. and PenEquity Management Corporation, has announced the closure of the operations on Dundas Square. The facility will continue to host a number of corporate events throughout the summer.

Mark Dzenick, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of the Olympic Spirit Group, the master licensor of the Olympic Spirit concept together with the International Olympic Committee and the Canadian Olympic Committee, expressed his confidence in the city and optimism for the future following meetings with business leaders in Toronto.

“I appreciate the effort that Glenn Miller and his colleagues at PenEquity Management Corp. and Toros Entertainment Inc. have put into the project. They believed in Toronto and in bringing the Olympic Spirit to its citizens."

"I have a great deal of faith and trust in the city. The Olympic Spirit is alive and well in Toronto, and we hope to announce plans for a more family-oriented location sometime soon.”

Did Olympic Spirit open anywhere else? Has anybody heard any plans?

CityTV

There's an announcement in the business section of today's Toronto Star (below). I think having CityTV there will be good for the square, and could help make it more of a focal point for visitors, with an interactive aspect that can go beyond simply looking at big billboard ads and then buying things from the surrounding stores.

I hope they try to imitate the "storefront setup" they have on Queen W., but I don't know if it will be possible; I don't recall the building having much of a street presence at all (just that little cafe that used to serve a great latte) and the sidewalks there are quite narrow. I guess they'll swing a deal to use the square itself for public events and performances.

--

Dundas Square new home of Citytv
Oct 23, 2007 04:30 AM
RITA TRICHUR
BUSINESS REPORTER

Citytv may be "everywhere" but its flagship station is getting ready to move to Dundas Square.

Rogers Communications confirmed late yesterday it has a binding agreement to acquire the Olympic Torch building at 35 Dundas St. E. and plans to shift both its Citytv and OMNI Television operations to that location.

Financial terms were not released and the deal is subject to various conditions. However, it is scheduled to close in mid-November, the company said, adding it has made good on its promise to maintain Citytv's urban vibe. It purchased the station earlier this year.

"We think this building portrays the local, urban and diverse character of Citytv and OMNI Television," said Tony Viner, president and CEO of Rogers Media Inc., in a release.

"We were determined to find a location that would maintain the stations' presence in the local fabric of the city."

The Olympic Torch building, perched at the edge of Dundas Square, is a $40 million entertainment complex that opened in August 2004 to celebrate that year's summer games in Athens.

Rogers announced in June it would move the flagship Citytv station out of the storied CHUM-City building at Queen and John Sts. over the next few years. Late last month, it received final approval for its $375 million purchase of five Citytv television stations from CTVglobemedia Inc.

There had been speculation that Rogers might shift the Citytv operations to its Omni channels' headquarters at 545 Lake Shore Blvd., near the waterfront. Yesterday, Rogers Media spokesperson Jan Innes said that location would continue to house Rogers operations, but provided no other details.

The CHUM-City building, Citytv's headquarters since the 1980s, will continue to house specialty channels, including MuchMusic and Bravo, which CTVglobemedia scooped up as part of its blockbuster $1.7 billion purchase of CHUM Ltd. earlier this year.

Innes said it is too soon to tell whether the Olympic Torch location will replicate the CHUM-City building's storefront setup, which allows viewers to literally press their noses up against the studio's glass.

http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/269424

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back