News   Apr 19, 2024
 800     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Montréal Transit Developments

Bombardier Rail is now Alstom.

They have not completed the merger yet.

Beauty of not using Bombardier

I can see that. But to be fair, Toronto's BB orders like the Flexity Outlook are heavily customized versions of their European models.
BB seems to be having a really bad couple of few years with their late and defective NYC subway rolling stock and German heavy rail orders.

Moving away from REM discussions for a bit, the STM released some images and tentative schedule of the platform doors project for the Orange Line. It will be produced and installed in stages, starting with 1 Orange Line station in 2021 and the rest of the 30 Orange Line stations from 2023-2026. With ATC and platform doors, one could actually see Orange Line becoming fully automated in the near future (?) This was posted online back in July (didn't get a lot of media coverage), so reposting them here for discussion.

As you can see these will not be floor-to-ceiling doors, but at the same time they appear to be much higher than your average shoulder-level doors seen on some European/Asian systems.

1603722073190.png

1603722000466.png

1603722012479.png

Moving away from REM discussions for a bit, the STM released some images and tentative schedule of the platform doors project for the Orange Line. It will be produced and installed in stages, starting with 1 Orange Line station in 2021 and the rest of the 30 Orange Line stations from 2023-2026. With ATC and platform doors, one could actually see Orange Line becoming fully automated in the near future (?) This was posted online back in July (didn't get a lot of media coverage), so reposting them here for discussion.

As you can see these will not be floor-to-ceiling doors, but at the same time they appear to be much higher than your average shoulder-level doors seen on some European/Asian systems.

View attachment 279047
View attachment 279045
View attachment 279046
Mind sharing the link please?

It looks floor to ceiling to me - I don't see any openings left in the images.

The ceiling color is placing tricks in you.
View attachment 279074

Correct. Unlikely to be floor-to-ceiling given the high ceilings in many orange line stations e.g. Champ-de-Mars, Bonaventure, Jean-Talon, Beaubien, Sherbrooke, etc. etc. What they have added is an area above the doors displaying station names, direction, and interactive displays with next train info (the current LCD screens will likely become obscured once these barriers are installed).

Ah, subtle!

I wonder what these new doors will do to the airflow, especially through entrance doors. I'd expect a lot of noise in places on the platforms.

That will be interesting to see as the trains and stations are not air-conditioned. I hear things get toasty in summer.

That will be interesting to see as the trains and stations are not air-conditioned. I hear things get toasty in summer.
I'm more wondering on how many people will complain about the lack of AC with the REM having it. There will be much pressure on the STM. There were not many genuine good reasons that the Azur didn't have AC.

Back