News   Mar 28, 2024
 151     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Montréal Transit Developments

I think the point can be made that the beauty and intelligence we see here is precisely that *it contains so little new tunneling*, there's no reason the entirety of say the TYSSE couldn't have been elevated, same for Eglinton West.
The constant threat to return Eglinton West to on-street likely ensure that they would not revisit the tunneling decision.
Back in 2012, I am sure elevated Eglinton through Golden Mile would have been accepted - but the threat to return to on-street was ever present (and eventually won out).

Nothing confirmed...but perhaps it's for REM?
image0.png

Thank you for the pictures. I've been hearing rumours that Montreal is set to take the first shipment of Alstom Metropolis rollingstock in the coming weeks. However, couldn't find a single photo of it online as CDPQi seems very tight lipped about this. Wouldn't be surprised if they are gearing up for a big media unveil (for maximum publicity) similar to what the STM did with their flashy AZUR unveil couple of years back.

Alice the boring machine being deployed for the 3km stretch from the Technopark to the airport!

Theres a live camera too 👀

Ah it's good that the airport portion isn't in jeopardy.

I know that they were looking for government financing for that branch, considering airports aren't exactly flush with cash right now.

Unless they are going ahead without funding secured, like what Toronto did when they built the Sheppard line tunnel without any money for track or rolling stock, in order to pressure the province.

The CDPQi will be mandated to study a REM/LRT extension instead of the previously announced Longueuil streetcar by the city of Longueuil.

The CDPQi will be mandated to study a REM/LRT extension instead of the previously announced Longueuil streetcar by the city of Longueuil.

If they decide on REM they've lost their minds. Taschereau is a perfect route for an LRT, ripe for redevelopment, and perfectly connecting Terminus Longeuil with Panama.

If they decide on REM they've lost their minds. Taschereau is a perfect route for an LRT, ripe for redevelopment, and perfectly connecting Terminus Longeuil with Panama.
How so? People want nice rapid transit, not to wait for the little streetcar at -40C. Plus prolly cheaper to build operate the REM than any streetcar..

How so? People want nice rapid transit, not to wait for the little streetcar at -40C. Plus prolly cheaper to build operate the REM than any streetcar..
Taschereau has nowhere near enough density yet to demand a light metro service. Today it's still 70% parking lot.
Streetcars/LRT systems can have heated shelters.

If building an elevated light metro is less expensive than building an at-grade LRT system, then build the elevated light metro. And give me some of whatever you're smoking :p
Canada Line was cheaper than the Hurontario LRT per km including inflation, despite the fact that the former was like 50% underground, and the latter is at grade.

Back