News   Apr 26, 2024
 104     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 412     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.2K     4 

Montréal Transit Developments

I'm more wondering on how many people will complain about the lack of AC with the REM having it. There will be much pressure on the STM. There were not many genuine good reasons that the Azur didn't have AC.

To be fair. I used to take the Azurs almost daily pre-covid, and not having AC never occurred to me as a huge discomfort. Sure, MTL summers are notoriously humid, but the Azurs are extremely well-ventilated with open gangways. Moreover, most Metro stations are much more airy and spacious than your average TTC or NYC subway station, so even on a hot day waiting for the metro, it's mostly bearable. Lastly, let's face it, MTL's hottest summer days are early June to late August, whereas the rest of the 9.5 months I much more grateful for the fully heated stations and trains.

To be fair. I used to take the Azurs almost daily pre-covid, and not having AC never occurred to me as a huge discomfort. Sure, MTL summers are notoriously humid, but the Azurs are extremely well-ventilated with open gangways. Moreover, most Metro stations are much more airy and spacious than your average TTC or NYC subway station, so even on a hot day waiting for the metro, it's mostly bearable. Lastly, let's face it, MTL's hottest summer days are early June to late August, whereas the rest of the 9.5 months I much more grateful for the fully heated stations and trains.
Yes, even in Vancouver winter it boggled my mind their stations aren't heated.

Yes, even in Vancouver winter it boggled my mind their stations aren't heated.
Well Vancouver winters are nowhere near as bad as Montreal winters. Snow is such a rarity that they never even foresaw having snow falling on the pressure plates that automatically stop the trains to be an issue. Having no heated stations is a lot more reasonable in Van when compared to Montreal or Ottawa.

Well Vancouver winters are nowhere near as bad as Montreal winters. Snow is such a rarity that they never even foresaw having snow falling on the pressure plates that automatically stop the trains to be an issue. Having no heated stations is a lot more reasonable in Van when compared to Montreal or Ottawa.
It's not, but coming from dry winters in Winnipeg the dampness really clings to you.

Another interesting and somewhat under-the-radar project commissioned by the STM: the Bellechasse Transport Centre. 87,000 m2, to house 250 hybrid STM buses and STM's administrative offices and rest area for STM bus drivers and maintenance crew. Situated in the densely populated Mile-End / Rosemont neighborhood, this is possibly one of the best looking and most well-designed bus garages in the country, along with an award winning architecture and landscaping that turns a former industrial lot into a new public park for the neighborhood. Designed by Quebec's very own Lemay (same architect firm designing the REM stations).

1603981891484.png

1603982250269.png

1603982588748.png

Last edited:
Wow. Is this the large construction site near Rosemont metro station? 🤔
1604075175166.png

I believe the big construction site rbeside Metro Rosemont (see above) is a private condo project that incorporates the metro entrance and bus shelters. Separate project from the STM Transport Centre since the STM project is located at Bellechasse and Gaspe (right across from the Canadian Tire on Bellechasse).

The Bellechasse Transport Centre site is not easily visible at street level despite the massive size of the project. It's entirely boarded up right now so most people passing by don't see that there is a 20 m deep pit right behind the wall :)

There was an unofficial inauguration of the St Dennis branch of the réseau express vélo this weekend. The 9km segment is mostly done (theres a part between Jean-talon and Jarry that is not complete) and what's done is really really nice. Kind of a shame that this is finishing right as winter is starting.

Super stoked to see how this branch of the network changes the area especially after so many shop owners put up a big fuss with the construction.

The article above said "hundreds of people inaugurated the REV", but they had a counter and we were 4000 - I say "we" because I was there with my son :)

I'm sure this bike path will be a huge success.

Any idea when testing will begin for that section of REM ^^ ? I've heard someone say by the end of November - anyways, I'm pretty excited

Dang, after reading this whole thread I really want to move to Montreal rn

The article above said "hundreds of people inaugurated the REV", but they had a counter and we were 4000 - I say "we" because I was there with my son :)

I'm sure this bike path will be a huge success.

I was on it early in the morning so I had no idea there were so many people on in on Inauguration Day! Exciting!

I do hope that signage for it gets a bit better when it's officially done. I'm a bit annoyed at how the path changes going north along St. Dennis to Lajeunesse. I regularly see people get confused when they get past Jean-Talon and don't know that they should switch onto Castenleau.

It's something that I get annoyed with quite a bit with the bike routes in this city where you're kind of forced to weave in and out of different streets while biking if you want to stay on a bike path but I guess this is a feature of a lot of NA bike networks.

Back