News   Jul 09, 2024
 51     0 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 454     1 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 1.1K     7 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

The obvious difference, it seems to me, in those two Yonge St. photos is that in 1903 people were out walking on the sidewalks and today most are hidden in their cars or the subway.
I expect exercise contraptions and spas were not needed during the 'gay-nineties' era.

Yonge/Temperance comparison pics...

Mustapha: I will add that I really like the comparison pics from the Toronto
City Archives that you post - in the 8/14 Yonge/Temperance pic that is almost definitely fron the mid 80s recognizing the cars in the pic. The only beef I have is that you do not post the date on the older pics-but it is
not your problem if the pics are indeed undated. LI MIKE

You didn't read "Ornament and Crime" by Adolf Loos (1908) at an impressionable age did you, Codovo? I'm as minimalist and modernist as the next guy if we're talking about the Barcelona Pavilion or the Villa Savoye. It just doesn't work on most streetscapes.

I think the visual delight of the older view is in the combination of awnings, signage and architecture, whereas the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. The modern view is bereft of any sense of texture, colour, movement and definitely architectural quality (save for the sadly truncated Confederation Life Building).

To put it in urban planning terms, the older view represents the chaotic vitality of urban life so cherished by Saint Jane. The modern view represents the deadening rationality of contemporary bureaucrats and some [bad] architects.

More than anything, I think the 2008 photograph represents the effect of over a century of evolution to the purpose of that part of Yonge Street. At the same time of day, on Queen West, or on the Danforth, or at Yonge and Bloor, or in any number of other parts of town, the scene might be busier, the environment more retail-oriented, and the location more central to peoples' lives. What stores there are, on Yonge south of Queen, aren't selling much of anything that draws masses of shoppers there nowadays, let's face it. In 1903, though, with the brand new Simpsons department store, and Eatons, just up the street, and the Arcade Building just to the south, things were different - this was Retail Central.

...The only beef I have is that you do not post the date on the older pics-but it is
not your problem if the pics are indeed undated. LI MIKE

Hi and thanks LIMike. You're the first to mention this oddly enough. If the photo notes at the Toronto online archives states a date; I will be sure to add this.

August 16 addition.

126 Elizabeth Street. Still a Chinese restaurant, it is the last, the very last, of the Elizabeth street Chinese businesses.

DSCF1063.jpg

DSCF1050.jpg

DSCF1051.jpg

DSCF1052.jpg

Last edited:
Bank of Montreal

Can anyone show me a photo of the old Bank of Montreal (NW corner King & Bay) that displays this sculpture panel (now on display at the Guild Inn)?
I'm refering to the building before the current First Canadian Place.
Apparently there were sculptures on the building depicting each Province.
I'm researching the sculptor (Florence Wyle) and the model who posed for the image. I have a lead to the model who is now a grandmother.
Wouldn't it be wonderful if I could pose her beside the sculpture?

see attached thumbnail:

Attachments

• B of M sculpture by Florence Wyle.jpg
    B of M sculpture by Florence Wyle.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:
future of our digital photography

Have any members of this Web site considered the question: Where will our current digital photographs of the city be in 15-20 years from now? Will they be available to future historians or will they have vanished into cyberspace?

We've all developed great affection for the wonderful images of old Toronto that have been preserved for our use by the City of Toronto Archives. This is only because the originals have been stored as tangible paper prints. Bits & bytes tend to vanish (usually accidentally but often on purpose)!

It's my belief that today's digital images will, for the most part, simply vanish and not be available in a few years time. Does anyone really believe that this site and our wonderful collection of photos will still be available to an internet user in the 22nd century?

We have proof that PAPER PRINTS last for a hundred years and more. Do you have paper prints made of your most valuable photographs? I recommend it!

Do you have paper prints made of your most valuable photographs? I recommend it!

Perhaps this topic warrants its own thread. I'm not worried. Discs such as DVDs can rot and hard drives can die but there will be lots of images surviving (and I'm sure the type of person that roams around Toronto with their SLR for the umpteenth time is going to be the type of person that doesn't let their photos simply vanish).

More interesting to me is that the photos from yesteryear are all washed out and faded. It's hard to imagine what it truly looked like. Today's digital photos will retain their colour meaning in 20-30 years we'll be getting a much more accurate glimpse as to what things were really like.

I wonder what the food was like at Sams Burgers.

Finally; back on topic.:)

As to the responses that goldie started: My own personal 2cents on the topic is triple backups and label the media as to what's on it. Make hardcopies of the most valuable pictures and store everything in a fireproof box with a dessicant pouch. Label the box and tell your loved ones where it is. I make albums of trips and events and give them away to the participants. I don't believe that Facebook is here for the long term.

I wonder how many of us here have already lost images because a thumbdrive was lost or simply died.

August 19 addition.

Temperance looking E from Bay.

fo0124_f0124_fl0003_id0145.jpg

DSCF0968.jpg

speaking of Temperance

Did I post this "Then & Now" before?
Oh well, a second viewing won't hurt, I suppose.
I have fond memories of the Arcade from my childhood.
I was always attracted to the window of a magic shop therein.
Plenty of fascinating tricks on display as well as live snakes and turtles.
I've never forgotten!

Attachments

• TN Arcade Yonge 1915-2009.jpg
    TN Arcade Yonge 1915-2009.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 365

Back