News   Jul 09, 2024
 44     0 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 454     1 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 1.1K     7 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Goldie: You can put this sad picture of the Arcade's demolition from 1954 in between:

yonge-and-temperance-manning-arcade.jpg

Queen St. subway

Which Queen St. subway would this be?
Does anyone volunteer the "Now" photo?

Attachments

• queen-street-subway-looking-northeast-1896.jpg
    queen-street-subway-looking-northeast-1896.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 415
Temperance

Hey, did anyone else notice the new streetlights.

They took out the pseudo-victorians which were there forever.....(well a few decades).

And those lights are completely new.

Haven't seen those in person yet, but I'm not enamored at first blush.

Yes, and in that light the woman behind the refreshment counter does rather look as if she's vogueing Schiaparelli - that Dalinian shoe-like hat in particular ( or is it her hair? ).

I can't believe I missed the Nortown discussion.

I started as an usher at the Eglinton Theatre as a young teenager in 1980. The concession attendant Monday to Friday afternoons was an wonderful woman named Ivanka K. (I'm not identifying her last name). She transferred to the Eglinton when the Norton closed, where she performed Concession Attendant and Matron duties since sometime in the 1950's, as I recall. She retired from the Elginton theatre in the mid-1980's.

When I began, "Matron's" were only required to be on duty as per the Theatres Act when a "Family" rated film was playing and for weekend & holiday matinees. The Act was amended in the late 80's/early 90's and Matron's were no longer required in Ontario cinemas under The Act. Also eliminated was the playing of our National Anthem at the beginning of each performance and at the end of each performance of the day, anyone remember that? :)

Regarding The Nortown I can actually claim to have been there, though I have virtually no memory of it (although I do have a memory of seeing Dr. Doolittle at the Eglinton when it was re-released). My mom's brother and girlfriend went to see "To Sir With Love" at the Norton and dragged me along as they were babysitting me (I was about 6 yrs. old) and all I remember was that song when I first saw it on TV in the early-mid 70's. Years later the story was relayed to me which accounts for the haunting memory of the song "To Sir, With Love" when I first saw it on TV, which I still love to this day.

What a thrill to finally see photos of the Nortown!

Did I post this "Then & Now" before?
Oh well, a second viewing won't hurt, I suppose.
I have fond memories of the Arcade from my childhood.
I was always attracted to the window of a magic shop therein.
Plenty of fascinating tricks on display as well as live snakes and turtles.
I've never forgotten!

In my day - the 60s - there was 'The Science Shop' - my fond memory... solar cells and Este model rockets.

Hey, did anyone else notice the new streetlights.

They took out the pseudo-victorians which were there forever.....(well a few decades).

And those lights are completely new.

Haven't seen those in person yet, but I'm not enamored at first blush.

The 'pseudo-Victorians' always looked to me like something Home Depot might have sold, but that's just me.

I can't believe I missed the Nortown discussion.

I started as an usher at the Eglinton Theatre as a young teenager in 1980. The concession attendant Monday to Friday afternoons was an wonderful woman named Ivanka K. (I'm not identifying her last name). She transferred to the Eglinton when the Norton closed, where she performed Concession Attendant and Matron duties since sometime in the 1950's, as I recall. She retired from the Elginton theatre in the mid-1980's.

When I began, "Matron's" were only required to be on duty as per the Theatres Act when a "Family" rated film was playing and for weekend & holiday matinees. The Act was amended in the late 80's/early 90's and Matron's were no longer required in Ontario cinemas under The Act. Also eliminated was the playing of our National Anthem at the beginning of each performance and at the end of each performance of the day, anyone remember that? :)

Regarding The Nortown I can actually claim to have been there, though I have virtually no memory of it (although I do have a memory of seeing Dr. Doolittle at the Eglinton when it was re-released). My mom's brother and girlfriend went to see "To Sir With Love" at the Norton and dragged me along as they were babysitting me (I was about 6 yrs. old) and all I remember was that song when I first saw it on TV in the early-mid 70's. Years later the story was relayed to me which accounts for the haunting memory of the song "To Sir, With Love" when I first saw it on TV, which I still love to this day.

What a thrill to finally see photos of the Nortown!

'Matron'. I love how veddy British it sounds. :)

August 20 addition.

Richmond looking SSE from the N sidewalk just E of Bay. Izzat confusing enough?:)

fo0124_f0124_fl0003_id0147.jpg

DSCF0966.jpg

August 17 addition.

Some Temperance and Yonge pics have been bandied about around lately; here is another pair.

fo0124_f0124_fl0003_id0139.jpg

DSCF0969.jpg

I am the new kid on the block here and would like to let all of you know that the pictures & stories I see on here are fabulous.
This must be a real labour of love for some of you.

Thank you to all of you.

I am the new kid on the block here and would like to let all of you know that the pictures & stories I see on here are fabulous.
This must be a real labour of love for some of you.

Thank you to all of you.

Val's here. Let's get this party started.:)

Also eliminated was the playing of our National Anthem at the beginning of each performance and at the end of each performance of the day, anyone remember that? :)

Ah yes, I do remember that. A different time indeed. Also, they used to play cartoons beforehand, and you could smoke in designated rows which is where we would hang as kids and make out.

Adams Furniture Store - Remix

3838208165_25d6c0d49d.jpg

Was fooling around with some then and nows last night and this was came out of it.

RE: Arcade - I'm too young to have seen the arcade but I imagine it was like a very small eaton centre of the day? Am i right? From some interior pictures i have seen it looks like a small mall?

Any interioir pics out there of the arcade?

3838208165_25d6c0d49d.jpg

Was fooling around with some then and nows last night and this was came out of it.

RE: Arcade - I'm too young to have seen the arcade but I imagine it was like a very small eaton centre of the day? Am i right? From some interior pictures i have seen it looks like a small mall?

Any interioir pics out there of the arcade?

Alden,

The Adams store was on Yonge street.:) That Now location you show was the old Eatons store location.

The arcade ... which one you be askin about? - I'm too young to remember the first one. Here is an awfully nicely done article about the first one at Torontoist...

http://torontoist.com/2009/03/historicist_the_rise_and_fall_of_a.php

The old Arcade, had it survived, would have been a great place for luxury goods shops. In London UK, several much older ones than our departed one still thrive.

If you are asking about the later Arcade... I can't find any pics of the interior. As you may know they recently gutted it. If you aren't familiar with it, it was just a corridor really, with some shops and services that catered mostly to office workers. Still, some of those shops had been there for decades and there was a warm familiarity about the place.

August 21 addition.

Yonge looking NE from just N of Queen.

fo0124_f0124_fl0003_id0151.jpg

DSCF0958.jpg

August 21 addition.

Yonge looking NE from just N of Queen.

fo0124_f0124_fl0003_id0151.jpg

Nice Mustapha, brings back lots of memories. Look at the condition of the Elgin Theatre, it's amazing they saved it. I think it's the only theatre of it's kind left in North America. Next door was Diana Sweets. My first real job was at Simpson's dept store down the street ($1.25hr) and we used to go to Diana's many times a week.

Nice Mustapha, brings back lots of memories. Look at the condition of the Elgin Theatre, it's amazing they saved it. I think it's the only theatre of it's kind left in North America. Next door was Diana Sweets. My first real job was at Simpson's dept store down the street ($1.25hr) and we used to go to Diana's many times a week.

Diana's had a great bakery there on Yonge. The last location (Scarborough Town Centre) closed about 2 years ago. If one thinks of Diana's as just a restaurant; fine, but the chain appears in so many old Toronto photos that it's passing is a real loss of commercial history for our city.

Back