News   Jul 09, 2024
 166     0 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 471     1 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 1.2K     7 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

I remember how strange it seemed when they painted the red brick buildings on Yonge even redder - and made the buff coloured one red too. But I'd forgotten the old switcheroo with that frontage on Wellington, to fill in the gap to the east and make way for the new BCE Place building, and how that front appears to have gone buff coloured from red.

I never realized that. I used to walk by that corner (the original version) every day on my way to work.

My coiffure's a more natural colour than those facades - several of which have also been around the block more times than I have.

My coiffure's a more natural colour than those facades - several of which have also been around the block more times than I have.

The transportation of facades is a interesting phenomena to me personally; I have mixed feelings about it; pro and con.

August 13 addition.

Yonge looking NE from the W sidewalk at a point between Queen and Shuter.

fo0124_f0124_fl0003_id0123.jpg

DSCF0959-1.jpg

dt toronto geek posted a 1949 picture of the Modernist Brights Wines building, a few doors north of the old Colonial - before the front was covered over - on January 17th on this thread. Now, alas, it has gone.

original Don Mills Rd!

I found this amazing map on the "More Lost Toronto in Colour" thread.

A detail that really surprised me was the identification of Don Mills Rd. at the top/right of the map.

Apparently the road that's now used for access to the north-bound Parkway (at Broadview & Danforth) was once Don Mills Rd!

Attachments

• Toronto_1894.jpg
    Toronto_1894.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 307
I found this amazing map on the "More Lost Toronto in Colour" thread.

A detail that really surprised me was the identification of Don Mills Rd. at the top/right of the map.

Apparently the road that's now used for access to the north-bound Parkway (at Broadview & Danforth) was once Don Mills Rd!

Don Mills road started at the Winchester St bridge, went up the current on-ramp, up Broadview north of the Danforth, and across O'Connor to meet up with the current Don Mills Road. The connection between the on ramp and Broadview north of Danforth is much straighter than the current Broadview/Danforth intersection. It also explains Don Mills United Church at the corner of Pape & O'Connor.

Don Mills road started at the Winchester St bridge, went up the current on-ramp, up Broadview north of the Danforth, and across O'Connor to meet up with the current Don Mills Road. The connection between the on ramp and Broadview north of Danforth is much straighter than the current Broadview/Danforth intersection. It also explains Don Mills United Church at the corner of Pape & O'Connor.

It's hard to imagine Winchester street with a steady stream of horses and wagons going in and out of the city.

August 14 addition.

Yonge and Richmond, looking at the SE corner.

fo1231_f1231_it2038.jpg

fo0124_f0124_fl0003_id0126.jpg

DSCF0976.jpg

Last edited:
Better view:

fo0124_f0124_fl0003_id0126.jpg

f1257_s1057_it0072.jpg

Little bit of trivia: the single bay skinny building just north of the Arcade Bldg (being demolished in Mustapha's photo) was one of the first re-inforced concrete structures in Canada.

Last edited:
Better view:

f1257_s1057_it0072.jpg

Little bit of trivia: the single bay skinny building just north of the Arcade Bldg (being demolished in Mustapha's photo) was one of the first re-inforced concrete structures in Canada.

And a lot of good it did it.:)

The Kresges store was like walking into a 30s movie interior set.:(:(

Don Mills & Torento

Further to the origin of Don Mills Rd:

These old maps are great fun to peruse in detail.
I'm now surprised to find that an earlier (1866) map reveals that the road extension across the valley from Winchester St. and up the east side of the river is identified as "Don & Danforth Road."

And this 1788 map of "Torento" Harbour reveals an early spelling of our city's name!

Does anyone else find this trivia as interesting as I?

See attached thumbnails:

Attachments

• Don & Danforth Rd. 1866.jpg
    Don & Danforth Rd. 1866.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 349
  • Torento Harbour 1788.jpg
    Torento Harbour 1788.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 335

Back