News   Jul 09, 2024
 35     0 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 454     1 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 1.1K     7 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Further to the origin of Don Mills Rd:

These old maps are great fun to peruse in detail.
I'm now surprised to find that an earlier (1866) map reveals that the road extension across the valley from Winchester St. and up the east side of the river is identified as "Don & Danforth Road."

And this 1788 map of "Torento" Harbour reveals an early spelling of our city's name!

Does anyone else find this trivia as interesting as I?

See attached thumbnails:

I do! Keep'em coming, Goldie.

You can pinpoint the modern location exactly; by looking at the Toronto Necropolis cemetery hill... perhaps as you whiz by in the southbound lane of the Bayview extension - in fact, I do believe that your car would occupy - for a fleeting second - the exact location of the Don Vale House.

August 15 addition.

Temperance looking W from Yonge.

fo0124_f0124_fl0003_id0138.jpg

DSCF0970.jpg

Last edited:
Don Mills Rd. near the old Riverdale Zoo

Thanks to wwwebster for this nice sketch - see attached thumbnail.

Who will be the first to give us a 'Now' photo of the same scene?

Attachments

• Don Vale House at (former zoo) Don River 1870.jpg
    Don Vale House at (former zoo) Don River 1870.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 326
Yonge & Temperence looking north:

1903:
1903_Yonge_Street_at_Temperance_Tor.jpg

I was just looking at that picture on the Archives site, and admiring all the hats. Woman in white, man in white in pith helmet, a newsboy(?) wearing a newsboy cap and all the straw boaters. Guy on the east sidewalk looks like he lost his pipe band.

I was just looking at that picture on the Archives site, and admiring all the hats. Woman in white, man in white in pith helmet, a newsboy(?) wearing a newsboy cap and all the straw boaters. Guy on the east sidewalk looks like he lost his pipe band.

Me too. To paraphrase Norma Desmond: "They had style then". How depressing on every level is the contemporary view?

Talk about visual overload. I almost had a seizure looking at that before picture. :p

You didn't read "Ornament and Crime" by Adolf Loos (1908) at an impressionable age did you, Codovo? I'm as minimalist and modernist as the next guy if we're talking about the Barcelona Pavilion or the Villa Savoye. It just doesn't work on most streetscapes.

I think the visual delight of the older view is in the combination of awnings, signage and architecture, whereas the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. The modern view is bereft of any sense of texture, colour, movement and definitely architectural quality (save for the sadly truncated Confederation Life Building).

To put it in urban planning terms, the older view represents the chaotic vitality of urban life so cherished by Saint Jane. The modern view represents the deadening rationality of contemporary bureaucrats and some [bad] architects.

Back