News   Jun 25, 2024
 266     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 450     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 444     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

I tapped on at Fort York & Bathurst; it was a while ago. Just when I think I have the damn thing figured out, something unexpected happens. I take the bonus rides when I get them and pay the double charges when they happen. I still have more bonus rides than double charges so I'm ok with it.

Interesting comments!

I too was surprised that it registered that last leg of my trip as a transfer (GPS problems would explain the location error). All in all, while three bucks is three bucks I'd rather have a system that works correctly. First, I'd rather pay my fair fare and have the money go to track maintenance or signal upgrades or whatever. Second, if Presto can undercharge me then Presto can overcharge. However, I'm also glad that PinkLucy states that she's had her card checked after Presto not charging her and she didn't receive a ticket. I can deal with getting dinged an extra $3, but a $300 ticket is another matter. Presto is definitely an interesting game and I'll keep a close eye on my "card activity"!

Leslie and Commissioners I believe is where the Leslie Barns (streetcar depot) is. So the GPS is wonky.
Though I am surprised it let you go on the same route twice without charging.
Part of the problem is that the vehicle can't communicate effectively with Transit Control the current system in place is old and outdated and mainly relies on a text based interface with the driver or them using a phone to talk with the individual barns, and garages. The TTC is currently working on updating the system so they can move everything to Transit Control at that point the Presto readers will be fully connected into the system and will know the location of the vehicle. and what route it is one. As well the TTC will be able to know the full status of the vehicle before the driver has to call it in, for example if they see a problem with the doors on a stretch they can tell the driver to dump it's passengers and head out of service.

Even the locations on other systems are often not correct, and sometimes way off. Not even logical locations like the garage, but some other random intersection across town.
The only difference is that it hardly matters because of the transfer policy.

Even the locations on other systems are often not correct, and sometimes way off. Not even logical locations like the garage, but some other random intersection across town.
The only difference is that it hardly matters because of the transfer policy.
Exactly. Retaining a transfer policy that was confusing to everyone before and relying on elaborate tables of allowed transfers (which vary if there are diversions) and counting on the 100% reliability of GPS to make it work was foolish. Timed transfers 'only' require synchronised clocks.

Exactly. Retaining a transfer policy that was confusing to everyone before and relying on elaborate tables of allowed transfers (which vary if there are diversions) and counting on the 100% reliability of GPS to make it work was foolish. Timed transfers 'only' require synchronised clocks.
If TTC had to pay extra to do it, sure. But it appears their vendor agreed to it without much resistance, and failed to price the cost of implementing it.

So it's all on the vendor's dime!

If TTC had to pay extra to do it, sure. But it appears their vendor agreed to it without much resistance, and failed to price the cost of implementing it.

The vendor probably thought it would be easy since they already relied on GPS for charging correct fares; of course they have stops km's apart where TTCs are as little as 250m.

That said, between GPS and the vehicles speedometer information they should be able to get something pretty accurate (know when to toss a bad GPS read). I know the streetcar speedometer data were accessible because the old location system was based on a base station + distance travelled as measured by wheel rotations.

The vendor probably thought it would be easy since they already relied on GPS for charging correct fares; of course they have stops km's apart where TTCs are as little as 250m.
Plus there are tall buildings downtown and also the tunnels that the streetcars go through on various routes as well. Plus the GPS unit may not calibrated properly all the time there were times when the new ones were in testing that they showed up in Toronto Harbour, someone also found one in the middle of lake simcoe.

Well, yes. BUT ... both the vendor (Metrolinx) and the customer (TTC) are public entities, they both belong to US. If either wastes money it is OUR money that's being wasted and in this case an inferior product (TTC PRESTO) is the result.

Plus there are tall buildings downtown and also the tunnels that the streetcars go through on various routes as well.

Tunnels aren't necessarily an issue. It's common (and fairly affordable) to install GPS repeaters when you expect to rely on such a system and have low-signal areas. Crossrail in London, for example, uses a GPS system in the tunnel during construction to calculate settling and other movements; essentially automated infrared reflectors like surveyors use.

Plus the GPS unit may not calibrated properly all the time there were times when the new ones were in testing that they showed up in Toronto Harbour, someone also found one in the middle of lake simcoe.

Yeah, poor/reduced maintenance is always going to be an issue with anything on TTC strictly due to limited funding.

Last edited:
Yeah, poor/reduced maintenance is always going to be an issue with anything on TTC strictly due to limited funding.
That was well they were in testing though so it could just have been an error from the software, Like for example when you first turn on a GPS and have used it in different location it takes it time to find where you are.

Back