News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 390     0 

Metrolinx: Other Items (catch all)

As an electric vehicle driver myself, Metrolinx made roughly every possible wrong choice when installing these charging stations:
  • They installed "smart" ChargePoint units with an upfront cost of approximately $10,000 each, rather than "dumb" stations with a cost of $500-$1000 each (still rated for commercial installations) or regular wall outlets (which I will detail below)
  • In addition to a higher upfront cost, these stations cost roughly $1000 per year each in a support subscription to provide the smart features like the ability to bill for usage
  • These stations cost $2.50 per session to use, which discourages usage; many electric vehicles would not use $2.50 of electricity to charge from empty to full; and the first 400 uses of the year would just break even on the $1000/year contract for service, since there were allegedly 0.8 uses per day, they did not even break even on the support contract let alone the cost of electricity, installing the stations, etc.
  • Most plug-in hybrids can charge from empty to full in between 2-5 hours at these stations, a poor fit for GO stations where most people are gone for 10-12 hours at a time; many fully electric vehicles can charge empty to full in approximately the same 5 hours; electric vehicles with the largest batteries can take 10-12 hours to charge, but that assumes their entire 400~500km range was depleted upon arrival at the charger; overall, there is no need for these stations when people will be gone 10-12 hours
  • There were only 2 stations installed at each of the pilot GO stations; anecdotally, I have seen approximately 20 electric vehicles at Aurora GO station at any one time - not all of those vehicles need a charge, but EV adoption was growing rapidly in the many years since the first 2 stations were installed, and they were in use most of the times I visited them
  • Money was spent to install wiring for 4-6 charging stations, at least at some of the stations. Aurora had wiring for 5 stations in total. New stations were never added, and now that the stations are being removed, those 2-4 extra rough-ins were installed and paid for by taxpayers for literally nothing.
  • Gas car drivers frequently park in front of the stations and block them, as do electric vehicle drivers who don't actually use the stations because the fee is too high, they just want preferred parking; I have called GO's security line dozens of times to report them, they have never once shown up to write a ticket despite the sign that clearly says "electric vehicle CHARGING only"; this has gotten better since 2017 since there are so many EVs that the stations are usually both in use by 7AM or so, but it is still unacceptable
Here is what the installation should have looked like:
  • Install a series of regular 110V wall outlets, in weatherproof enclosures with lockable covers, which each receptacle on a dedicated 15A circuit; electric vehicle drivers would bring their own 110V portable charging units, which are included free with every single plug-in hybrid and electric vehicle that has been sold in Canada since 2011 through present, and they would plug in and use a small luggage lock, if desired, to prevent theft of their unit; I have personally used this exact setup at York University and it works great
  • This solution would be free of charge, due to the minimal cost of installing regular wall outlets with drivers providing their own charging units, the low peak electricity demand (5 vehicles can charge at 110V/12A=1.32kW*5=6.6kW using the same power as 1 vehicle charging at 6.6kW on a 208V/~32A chargepoint station)
  • These stations would charge most plug-in hybrids from empty to full in anywhere from 6 to 10 hours, and in the ~10 hours that most people are parked at a GO station, these would provide a fully electric vehicle with anywhere from about 35km of range in the dead of winter to 70km of range in summer, depending on the specific model of vehicle;
  • Provide approximately 16 such spaces signed for charging only, and an additional 16 spaces reserved for electric vehicle parking with no charging available, to help support the Province's (at the time) wider policy to encourage people to switch to electric vehicles; Teslas with a 500km range and the owner living 2km from the go station really don't need to be charging - and they likely wouldn't go through the effort if they had to bring their own portable unit, plug it in, and secure it
  • Aggressively ticket and tow non-plug-in vehicles parked in any of these spaces, and plug-in vehicles plugged in the charging spaces while not plugged in; mind you, the 16 preferred parking spaces would at least help discourage other electric vehicles from blocking the charging spaces
  • These stations could easily be expanded in the future due to the ease and cheapness of installing regular wall outlets compared to full charging stations; the 16 parking spaces could be converted
But no, let's just waste obscene amounts of taxpayer money, design the program to be guaranteed to fail, spend more money ripping it all out, and give a giant middle finger to people who bought electric vehicles thinking the province supported that choice.

The Wynne government had a lot of bad EV policies. For instance, I own a 2013 Chevrolet Volt, which I bought used; it had previously been a MTO fleet vehicle. The Volt can drive up to 70km without using any gas whatsoever, then it switches to gas and gets about 5-6L/100km, and burns premium gas. With 70,000km on the odometer, it had only been plugged in a handful of times, >99% of the driving had been on gas, the lifetime fuel economy was an abysmal 5.4L/100km (for reference, I'm at 0.9L/100km, including two round trips to Ottawa which constitute much of my gas use, I use <1L of gas from April to October). To make things worse, the province is ineligible for its own rebate, so they paid the full ~$48,000 price for the vehicle including HST.

So they spent $48K on a plug-in hybrid that had consumed ~3780L of premium gas, when the Toyota Prius starts around $30K including HST and gets approximately 4.0-4.5L/100km and would have burned 2800~3150L of regular gas in the same time period.

This is interesting, the direction Metrolinx is taking. As most have stated for years they blow whichever way the hot air from QP tell them to. Didn't see this posted last week, but Global News' QP guy had a sit-down with Verster. We get some info on important things: e.g fare integration is approx 5yrs from completion...and won't require gov't subsidies (somehow). Also that Metrolinx will now run like a business (wonder where they got that line). And as your link shows I guess they're to become real estate developers too. Clearly a full plate going forward.

Can't embed the video but here's the link: https://globalnews.ca/video/4855277/metrolinx-ceo-reflects-on-challenges-ahead

This is interesting, the direction Metrolinx is taking. As most have stated for years they blow whichever way the hot air from QP tell them to. Didn't see this posted last week, but Global News' QP guy had a sit-down with Verster. We get some info on important things: e.g fare integration is approx 5yrs from completion...and won't require gov't subsidies (somehow). Also that Metrolinx will now run like a business (wonder where they got that line). And as your link shows I guess they're to become real estate developers too. Clearly a full plate going forward.

Can't embed the video but here's the link: https://globalnews.ca/video/4855277/metrolinx-ceo-reflects-on-challenges-ahead
This just speculation, but I think the path to fare integration requires different agencies to meet together to plan their services (and service changes) together, to run them as efficiently as possible.

This just speculation, but I think the path to fare integration requires different agencies to meet together to plan their services (and service changes) together, to run them as efficiently as possible.

As has been happening for ten years now, and will for another five.

The "path to fare integration" requires money, from a higher level. But because that higher level doesn't want to spend it we get endless years of study, then an intermittence with a *new angle* of attack for effectively free fares from a 'business-minded' agency. Who likely got a gist of Six Sigma from a "businessman" (who in turn got the gist from Wikipedia). That's the era we're in now btw. Then after fifteen years we'll be back to square one of re-study. All the while angry people who feel hard done by will blame Toronto, TTC, elites, the downtown, just about anybody except the government that doesn't want to foot the bill.

As has been happening for ten years now, and will for another five.

The "path to fare integration" requires money, from a higher level. But because that higher level doesn't want to spend it we get endless years of study, then an intermittence with a *new angle* of attack for effectively free fares from a 'business-minded' agency. Who likely got a gist of Six Sigma from a "businessman" (who in turn got the gist from Wikipedia). That's the era we're in now btw. Then after fifteen years we'll be back to square one of re-study. All the while angry people who feel hard done by will blame Toronto, TTC, elites, the downtown, just about anybody except the government that doesn't want to foot the bill.

It does not require more money. It means that some riders are advantaged and others disadvantaged. Plus transfers between cities. Some people are trying to use fare integration to increase funding for transit. There is a good argument for more funding. However, by linking it to fare integration it is confusing the issue.

If I am travelling from VMC station to Yorkdale it will cost you less than now (which means York Region and the TTC both earn slightly less). Which needs to be offset by an increase in fare if I'm travelling from Kipling to Scarborough. This is fare integration. Some people are trying to say that no one should be disadvantaged (i.e. everyone is paying less or equal to what they do now). This is the worst use of government subsidies that can be imagined for transit when you look at it economically.

If I am travelling from VMC station to Yorkdale it will cost you less than now (which means York Region and the TTC both earn slightly less). Which needs to be offset by an increase in fare if I'm travelling from Kipling to Scarborough. This is fare integration. Some people are trying to say that no one should be disadvantaged (i.e. everyone is paying less or equal to what they do now). This is the worst use of government subsidies that can be imagined for transit when you look at it economically.

Seems more integrated distance-based fares, which I consider only one avenue to tackle fare integration. And agreed my post was confusing and a bit of a useless rant. Guess was more alluding to a situation where we keep the current boundary setup, but the Prov fully pays the fare/co-fare for those transferring between agencies.

Probably best to activate the fare integration thread to carry the topic further since it can be a bit of a rabbit hole. Also if anyone wants to discuss the 'no cost to government' aspect Verster mentioned, cuz it certainly sounds like fairly steep distance-based fares for such a notion to be realized.

Metrolinx townhall March 4th at 7 PM in Kitchener. Link.
Isn't the official website a better reference (even though the Facebook is official too)?
Next Event:
Kitchener
7:00-8:30PM
Monday, March 4, 2019

Ask Metrolinx Town Halls are your opportunity to ask our leadership questions about Metrolinx services, regional transit planning and anything top of mind for you. While we field your questions at the town hall, questions can be submitted online in advance and voted on, or during the event via livestream.
Join CEO Phil Verster and our Senior Management Team members in-person or online for Metrolinx's management Town Hall.
Location: Communitech, The Tannery, 151 Charles Street, #100, Kitchener, ON N2G 1H6

RFI-2018-CMBD-031* - RFI-2018-CMBD-031:Transportation Partnership Potential Partner Benefits

Request For Information
Request for Information No. RFI-2018-CMBD-031
Metrolinx is accepting Requests for Information (RFI) for Transportation Partnership - Potential Partner Benefits and Evaluation Framework
Metrolinx is an agency of the Government of Ontario, overseeing GO Transit, PRESTO, and UP Express. Metrolinx’ s GO Transit service serves a population of more than 7 million people throughout the Greater Golden Horseshoe. We are embarking on a massive transformation of the GO Rail network - the backbone of regional rapid transit in the region – to give customers a faster, more convenient way to connect with the things that matter. Metrolinx provides communities with the connection to the people, places and events that matter to them! Union Station is one of many hubs centered in downtown Toronto with direct access to the Scotiabank Arena, Rogers Centre, Ripley’s Aquarium, and the CN Tower. Exhibition Station provides direct access to Budweiser Stage, BMO Field, the CNE, Honda Indy and many more cultural events and festivals. For many fans and attraction seekers, their ride on the GO Train becomes an enjoyable extension of their experience.

Metrolinx is seeking partnership(s) in the Transportation category for GO Transit, Up Express, and PRESTO. The objective of the partnership will be to reduce emissions, improve station access; reduce congestion, as well as increase ridership, enhance the customer experience and increase revenue.

Proposal Documents are available online at www.merx.com/metrolinx, Solicitation No RFI-2018-CMBD-031. Proponents are urged to select automatic notification of addenda issuance when registering on MERX.
It is the Proponent’s responsibility to ensure receipt of copies of all addenda issued. Information concerning the number of addenda issued and the date of issue of the most recent addendum can be found at www.merx.com.
Responses to the Request for Information will be accepted until 12:00 p.m. on Monday, April 22, 2019 to Metrolinx.
Delete this paragraph if not required
Metrolinx reserves the right to reject any or all Submissions at its sole discretion.

Back