385     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Metrolinx: Other Items (catch all)

From the April 10 Metrolinx Board meeting:
TOD Implementation Framework
Thumbs up for the heads-up. Will pore over that later, but just scanning through it now, tripped across this:
Holy Moly! Can she bend over any further to cater to the boss?

This is very worrisome. Poor English grammar too, but that's nit-picking.

That's the TTC board meeting, not the Metrolinx one! Metrolinx is much smaller, and is at http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/agendas/agendas_2019_04_10.aspx

I'm impressed that they are looking at details on events, weather, etc. Shows you what Presto card data can be used for. Maybe they need an extra train after a Leaf weekend game (3,000 users off the highways and parking lots is impressive). Use the LED screens on the highways to advertise the GO station (Leaf's Game -- 45 min via QEW, 30 min via GO). Lots of interesting things they can do

I hope the TTC will do the same. Look at the data to see when they should be running more/less subway cars (more). Should they add/reduce based on weather? Lots of opportunities.

I'm impressed that they are looking at details on events, weather, etc. Shows you what Presto card data can be used for. Maybe they need an extra train after a Leaf weekend game (3,000 users off the highways and parking lots is impressive). Use the LED screens on the highways to advertise the GO station (Leaf's Game -- 45 min via QEW, 30 min via GO). Lots of interesting things they can do

I hope the TTC will do the same. Look at the data to see when they should be running more/less subway cars (more). Should they add/reduce based on weather? Lots of opportunities.
No, there should be a set schedule, and the transit agency (GO or TTC) needs to make any effort to keep the schedule, regardless of the conditions.

I find this kind of analysis a waste of time, and provides no value. It's as if Metrolinx has no work to do, and employees keep finding work for themselves.
Metrolinx's #1 objective should be to expand service. Everything else is BS.

No, there should be a set schedule, and the transit agency (GO or TTC) needs to make any effort to keep the schedule, regardless of the conditions.

I find this kind of analysis a waste of time, and provides no value. It's as if Metrolinx has no work to do, and employees keep finding work for themselves.
Metrolinx's #1 objective should be to expand service. Everything else is BS.

I think that's a tad harsh.

We would both be in complete agreement their number 1 priority far and away needs to be expansion of base schedule towards 2-way, all-day, and more frequent service on most train runs.

That said, I think it makes perfect sense to plan added service (without altering the base schedule) when you have advance notice of surge demand (ie a sold out event at the Dome).

I would not plan for reducing service below schedule.

Nor would I support endless analytics. But where 10-50 scheduled events a year create demand surge, its makes perfect sense to plan for that and add service to alleviate crowding and meet demand.

This should not require a vast level of staff time or resources.

Anything interesting come up at the meeting? Got an exam and no time to watch it rn
I just watched most of it and I think this point at 2:01:57 is interesting. The board member mentions that if Metrolinx is to work with developers with Transit Oriented Developments, they should retain ownership of the properties so that it can be a revenue tool and the public will feel better about the deal. I had a laugh at 2:05:30 when the board member references mistakes made on Highway 407 selloff.

What a frustrating experience bothering to watch the Metrolinx Town Hal...Squirrel!

Questions from the Top Ten @ Engage were purposely ignored. I bite my fingertips from adding more.
Metrolinx
10 m
For those online (and in the audience) If your question is NOT answered during the event,..
Metrolinx
10 m
Please submit it on https://www.metrolinxengage.com/en/engagement-initiatives/ask-metrolinx.
Metrolinx
10 m
All questions will be answered there in a few business days.
H

Hayden
9 m
You can't submit questions there now
S

steveintoronto
9 m
[Metrolinx now All questions will be answered there in a few business days.]
S

steveintoronto
9 m
I'll quote you on that...