News   Apr 18, 2024
 506     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 3.9K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.2K     4 

Metrolinx: Other Items (catch all)

^ I realize that but for some reason the tweet wasn't popping up so I wanted to be sure. I guess there's a lag.

Here's the full text (page 7 of the PDF): https://www.ola.org/sites/default/files/node-files/bill/document/pdf/2018/2018-11/b057_e.pdf

1542314812678.png

I guess removing Metrolinx from considering all modes makes the planning process for transit-only matters good, but it is terrible for planning multiple modes as it’ll be a a lot less efficient. Any idea who will handle those things now?

The first part I see being a necessary thing that was bound to happen. We want GO trains in all these areas so they better be under the jurisdiction of Metrolinx

The second part, meh.

I will assume the broader definition of "transit" to include buses. Rail GO to places like Haldimand and Brant counties seems to tread on VIA territory and I'm not convinced there is much regular commuter traffic to the GTA from theses areas (to Hamilton, yes). I can see Dufferin and Wellington counties as Guelph and Orangeville are at their extreme south ends. Orillia doesn't have rail. Does this foretell of a GO train to Peterborough?

Perhaps GO and VIA should get together and figure out who is servicing what area.

The deletion of multi-modal is interesting. It appears that going forward the Lieutenant-Governor (ie Queens Park) will define what modes ML is to focus on.

- Paul

I will assume the broader definition of "transit" to include buses. Rail GO to places like Haldimand and Brant counties seems to tread on VIA territory and I'm not convinced there is much regular commuter traffic to the GTA from theses areas (to Hamilton, yes). I can see Dufferin and Wellington counties as Guelph and Orangeville are at their extreme south ends. Orillia doesn't have rail. Does this foretell of a GO train to Peterborough?

Perhaps GO and VIA should get together and figure out who is servicing what area.

VIA has first dibs on Peterborough with HFR, which will (most likely) be funded and built first. GO will have to negotiate track rights to serve it, and I assume it would be peak-only. I think GO bus service to Peterborough would become redundant as the train would be substantially faster.

I know Shelburne in Dufferin County, and Dundalk in Grey County have been asking for GO Bus service. Metrolinx also has designed but not built an Orangeville bus garage, so it would be easy to expand service north up Highway 10. I could see expanded GO Bus services happening across Ontario, to fill in gaps that Greyhound has created over years of cuts.

Simcoe County is included in Metrolinx's new mandate too. GO Trains to Collingwood would be amazing, but I get it realistically isn't high in the priorities. Would be a cheap expansion however, as RoW exists and just needs new tracks. Can easily be done for $1 million per mile.

Back