News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 420     0 

Metrolinx: Other Items (catch all)

VIA has first dibs on Peterborough with HFR, which will (most likely) be funded and built first. GO will have to negotiate track rights to serve it, and I assume it would be peak-only. I think GO bus service to Peterborough would become redundant as the train would be substantially faster.

I know Shelburne in Dufferin County, and Dundalk in Grey County have been asking for GO Bus service. Metrolinx also has designed but not built an Orangeville bus garage, so it would be easy to expand service north up Highway 10. I could see expanded GO Bus services happening across Ontario, to fill in gaps that Greyhound has created over years of cuts.

Simcoe County is included in Metrolinx's new mandate too. GO Trains to Collingwood would be amazing, but I get it realistically isn't high in the priorities. Would be a cheap expansion however, as RoW exists and just needs new tracks. Can easily be done for $1 million per mile.

If HFR to Peterborough bacame a reality, why would GO want to duplicate service?

Bus service to places like Dundalk (pop ~2000) and elsewhere across the Province reopens the debate of 'inefficient' subsidies to low density communities. Remember, nobody wants their taxes to increase and, to many, rural people should just suck it up and move to urban areas.

The ROW to Collingwood may be largely intact but I know a few road crossings have been severed and the road grades altered. The last mile to downtown and resort areas remains an issue - the ROW ends at an east end industrial area.

If HFR to Peterborough bacame a reality, why would GO want to duplicate service?

Bus service to places like Dundalk (pop ~2000) and elsewhere across the Province reopens the debate of 'inefficient' subsidies to low density communities. Remember, nobody wants their taxes to increase and, to many, rural people should just suck it up and move to urban areas.

The ROW to Collingwood may be largely intact but I know a few road crossings have been severed and the road grades altered. The last mile to downtown and resort areas remains an issue - the ROW ends at an east end industrial area.

I fully agree that duplicating service to Peterborough would be a waste in terms of priorities, with HFR hopefully coming. Regardless of what happens in Collingwood, the entire RoW needs new tracks and crossings. In terms of rural Ontario, the small towns in the hinterlands are booming. Dundalk has over 1000 new housing units planned/in construction, Markdale north of it has another 500 dwellings planned, driven by Chapman's Ice Cream expanding, and Shelburne north of Orangeville went from 5,000 people to 8,000 in once census period, and continues to grow. It doesn't necessarily need GO Bus service, but giving these growing places that service would help with the goal of building sustainable communities.

Not planned to. Even along the HFR route, some stations would get VIA perhaps twice a day each direction. From Peterborough south, HFR probably only one stop: northern edge of Toronto. GO would serve all the stations between Peterb'ro and Union.
We should just rename Canada "Toronto" and give Metrolinx jurisdiction of everything from healthcare to foreign policy. The Dominion of Metrolinx - all cars are banned and replaced by subways.
SuperDuperLinx. Except you overlook the number one priority of Ford Inc: Cars, no matter which agency they come under.

We should just rename Canada "Toronto" and give Metrolinx jurisdiction of everything from healthcare to foreign policy. The Dominion of Metrolinx - all cars are banned and replaced by subways.

subway-map-of-canada-poster-2017.png

Ask Metrolinx - Town Hall
Join Metrolinx in-person or online for a Town Hall with senior management. An opportunity to ask questions about projects, services, planning or anything else.

We're taking questions in advance or live during the event. Submit a question and vote online now and/or register to attend or watch the livestream.

Date: November 28 - 6:00 to 7:30 p.m.

Location: 97 Front St. W. Toronto, ON - Peter R. Smith Boardroom (4th floor)

Online: MetrolinxEngage.com

RER mentioned in the Federal Fall Fiscal Update, page 28.

"$1.9 billion for four GO Transit Regional Express Rail projects in the Greater Golden Horseshoe Area"

Note, this money has been previously announced.

For clarity.... do we know what the four “projects” are?

- Paul

PS: Answered my own question here. Kitchener, Barrie, LSE (Bowmanville? or just the added track Liverpool to Union?) and LSW (Niagara?)

Last edited:

Back