News   May 02, 2024
 265     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   May 01, 2024
 453     0 

Metrolinx: Other Items (catch all)

Logic only works on the level of those interested in it- when you get someone like Ford who seemingly works on an emotional level, you play by that game, or risk being Webster-ed.

Right, and transit planning under the previous regime was free of emotion and political baggage. Time to accept that all parties will interfere with transit planning to suit their aims.

^Well I guess that very point defeats the whole point of what Metrolinx is for. DoFo might as well just call himself the Minister of Transportation and CEO of Metrolinx as well.

At this point I wonder how long Verster will be able to keep his patience before he calls it quits due to Ford's ineptitude.

Metrolinx has always been a joke. It hasnt been separated from political meddling for a long time, if ever. And really in a democracy its just impossible.

And really in a democracy its just impossible.
Got to disagree vehemently on that. Sweden and the other Nords are not just democracies, but have had to 'show the books' to the public for anything other than national defence for some...ummm...800 years or so. Iceland had one of the first, if not the first, Parliaments.

Canada is one of the least open democracies in the Western World. FOI legislation means next to nothing here. Even the US is far more transparent when it comes to municipal and state level accountability.

Right, and transit planning under the previous regime was free of emotion and political baggage. Time to accept that all parties will interfere with transit planning to suit their aims.

Yes, but it's not a black-and-white issue. Political interference from the Liberals to add a couple of stations in politically advantageous areas/look into hydrogen technology isn't quite the same thing as Ford taking a personal interest in all transit affairs.

It could be a good thing, it could be a bad thing, but Verster has to dance to Ford's tune.

Last edited:

Did a CTRL+F for transit and there's only one reference and one chart:

21. A sector-by-sector breakdown of expenditures for the major spending allocations reveals that the most significant proportion of spend is in the “Big Three” sectors: Health, Education, and Children, Community and Social Services. Although small in the overall context, growth in Environment, Resources, and Economic Development is a significant portion of the total growth, and is largely driven by transfers for transit capital projects, business supports, energy price mitigation programs, and programs related to the Greenhouse Gas Reduction Act

Chart:

2pB7mNR

Last edited:
lol, it's not up to him.
Yeah...I was looking for a diplomatic way to respond to Alexander, and those as eager as him to still believe in the words being ushered. One only has to look at past "reassurances" *even when fully budgeted* to see how disposable they are.

Wright is saying everything he has to to keep his job. If what he was saying was accepted policy, sure as hell Yakabuski would be loud hailing it.

It's the total absence of any commitments from QP that's striking.

Other than what the CEO and Chair have to say, waste of time going to a meeting. Even asking questions before and after the meeting can be useless.

I gave up going to these meetings almost 2 years ago.

Can't speak to the current board members, but very rare a board member would ask questions related to the reports in public in the past.

Interesting agenda. Ninety minutes closed door session on “GO Expansion”..... ie not RER.

The item on Mimico station is interesting and quite a development from the last round of consultations.... what heed does the unnamed developer have to pay to previous public input?

- Paul

Interesting agenda. Ninety minutes closed door session on “GO Expansion”..... ie not RER.

The item on Mimico station is interesting and quite a development from the last round of consultations.... what heed does the unnamed developer have to pay to previous public input?

- Paul

GO Expansion = RER, plus Bowmanville, Niagara, and other projects. I assume that the long amount of time allocated to it will be the result of the "On Corridor" RFP which closes on October 18th. I'm sure that will be discussed, as it has to be sent to the provincial treasury board before the RFP can be issued.

Back