News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 435     0 

Metrolinx: Other Items (catch all)

Their agendas are poorly structured.

They are the only organization I know of that has, as-of-right, both a public and private session.

There are certainly private organizations whose meetings are private by default.

For government, if there is anything public, the routine is that its public unless voted to be private or in-camera.

I find the Metrolinx methodology disingenuous and a poorly executed exercise in PR rather than a reasonable separation of private or non-disclosable matters from those that ought to be public.

Last edited:
Interesting agenda. Ninety minutes closed door session on “GO Expansion”..... ie not RER.

The item on Mimico station is interesting and quite a development from the last round of consultations.... what heed does the unnamed developer have to pay to previous public input?

- Paul
What Was plan for Mimico and what was getting built were two different things.

What Metrolinx should do, is built the east tunnel as plan now and close the current one when it ready to open. Set up a temporary sale area at that new tunnel and raze the current one.

The developer who every takes over for the dead project would tear up the current station down to the bottom level of the current one for Metrolinx parking and put a new station at tunnel level that opens to the street sidewalk. The new tower would set on top of the new GO station as well the current site.

In some way it would be better to start from scratch and put all parking underground and put at least 2 towers on top of both areas with a 6 story podium under the towers.

Metrolinx will want the towers set back 100' with a 2 foot x 15 foot crash wall along the property edge. Don't support the 100' rule after 2 story, but can live with 50 feet.That 50' area can be green space and rec area for the towers, let alone 100 ft.

Metrolinx blew it in Burlington when building the new station there with the development taking place next to it. First tower has people living there now with the 2nd ready to move in shortly and the 3rd early next year. Can still build 3 more towers than the plan 2 and could get a 4th in there as well.

Metrolinx will want the towers set back 100' with a 2 foot x 15 foot crash wall along the property edge. Don't support the 100' rule after 2 story, but can live with 50 feet.That 50' area can be green space and rec area for the towers, let alone 100 ft.

I believe the 100’ standard is industry based and TC blessed. But it is only enforced through local municipal planning. According to a planner acquaintance, ML has sought exemptions in the past when it suited their purpose.

I wonder how high the developer wants to go, and how much allowance there is for electrification and for that fifth track that ML has considered in the past. And how this blends with the unfinished condo excavation from a past failed development immediately to the north of the station.

There’s still time to ask the local candidates about this proposal before the election. Not that there has ever been much oversight over developers’ ambitions in that part of the City.

- Paul

Metrolinx plans to partner with private developer for Mimico Go station revamp
By BEN SPURRTransportation Reporter
Tues., Oct. 16, 2018

Metrolinx plans to partner with private developer for Mimico Go station revamp
By BEN SPURRTransportation Reporter
Tues., Oct. 16, 2018

Where have we heard this before :rolleyes:

I really dont think Metrolinx is capable of executing such a bold endeavor.

Where have we heard this before :rolleyes:

I really dont think Metrolinx is capable of executing such a bold endeavor.
Oddly, it's not Metrolinx on the spot here so much as their political masters. I too am a cynic...but if they can't get this right, then....

Considering both Muni and Prov "have no money"...this is a way forward.

I think it will get done, it has to, the question is *How* it's done. There's a lot of room to screw this up royally.

I was just reviewing comments of some of the senior posters above, and I think we all agree, save for a few, that Metrolinx had better start being a lot more open on these matters, not to reveal fiduciary minutia so much as the *methods* of doing it. And by whose standards of good governance?

^Definitely puts the cat in the canary cage wrt southwest Ontario transportation matters.

- Paul

^ In terms of high speed rail and the EA? Speaking of which has it even started? Have consultants been hired for it? Was there a RFP for consultants to do it? @alexanderglista

Right now lots of background work going on for HSR according to the schedule (if they haven't been given a stop order). Schedule is here, can't tell if we're behind yet. Also, Business Case has been published here. Not new, but have never seen it publicly before. Also worth noting that HSR isn't a Metrolinx project, it is a Ministry of Transportation project :)

This is better. The Yak is crazy.
Like to give thumbs up, but time will tell. Will agree that he couldn't be any worse. "The Yak is crazy"...yeah...I kinda wondered about the guy when appointed, and then after seeing a few interviews...the defects became obvious. And then his spats with Spurr and Oliver...actually...he fit right into the Ford Farelame, but not good for "The People".

^ Full PDF here. From page 73:

Metrolinx Agency Review As urban areas across Central Ontario and particularly the Greater Golden Horseshoe become more integrated and connected, a regional transit system is an increasingly important element to promoting mobility and economic competitiveness. Metrolinx has a critical role in building and expanding a regional transit network that meets the needs and expectations of a growing customer base. Subject to approval by the legislature, the government is proposing amendments to the Metrolinx Act, 2006 that would modernize the outdated legislation to enhance the agency’s focus on regional transit delivery and service excellence. The Ministry of Transportation will continue work on a broader transportation plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe that will guide Metrolinx’s transit implementation work, and ensure that highway and transit investments are coordinated to keep people and businesses in the region moving. The Metrolinx Agency Review aligns with the government’s review of all Provincial agencies to ensure they are relevant, efficient, effective and use taxpayer dollars appropriately.

FOR THE PEOPLE: METROLINX AGENCY REVIEW Fast, affordable transit is vital to travellers in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area and beyond. The Province is committed to building more transit to get people moving faster than ever before. The government is proposing amendments to the Metrolinx Act, 2006 to ensure that Metrolinx has the tools to deliver the Province’s ambitious transit agenda to keep people and business in the region moving.

Back