News   Mar 28, 2024
 357     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 276     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 305     0 

Metrolinx: Bombardier Flexity Freedom & Alstom Citadis Spirit LRVs

I remember them advertising that they are built for -40C Canadian weather.

iirc in a cross thread post, they mentioned that the lrvs were stuck outside for 6 days due to signal failure. Im pretty sure no lrv can withstand 6 continuous polar calendar days without power and remain in perfect condition.
take the article with pinch of salt before the usual outcry and outrage.

iirc in a cross thread post, they mentioned that the lrvs were stuck outside for 6 days due to signal failure. Im pretty sure no lrv can withstand 6 continuous polar calendar days without power and remain in perfect condition.
take the article with pinch of salt before the usual outcry and outrage.
That's not even the reason they are failing.

From the article:
The reports say that "panels are coming loose and breaking on LRVs [light-rail vehicles] due to snow building up on the vehicles," and that snow and ice are "frequently causing the doors to freeze shut."

Both brakes and bogies — the underframe of the rail car that holds the wheels — also freeze up if the vehicles "sit for any amount of time" outdoors during a snowfall.

The on-board heating system doesn't always work, and neither does the communications system. Late last week, one train had to be towed back to the garage by another train — not the first time that's happened — and an operator reported smelling smoke at a station.

Compared to the wonderfully problem free Outlooks and Flexities.

Actually, Metrolinx will probably have a fairly trouble free set of Citadii, Ottawa will have suffered all the kinks that need to be straightened out for you. Likewise Edmonton (and Metrolinx too)will probably have a much better experience with their Flexities, KW paid the first adopter penalty.

Compared to the wonderfully problem free Outlooks and Flexities.

Actually, Metrolinx will probably have a fairly trouble free set of Citadii, Ottawa will have suffered all the kinks that need to be straightened out for you. Likewise Edmonton (and Metrolinx too)will probably have a much better experience with their Flexities, KW paid the first adopter penalty.
It was supposed to be Metrolinx paying that fee.

^Is it possible that these are teething problems within a new operating and maintenance organization that is learning from scratch?

I bet the TTC might have different practices, based on 100+ years of continuing experience.

- Paul

^Is it possible that these are teething problems within a new operating and maintenance organization that is learning from scratch?

I bet the TTC might have different practices, based on 100+ years of continuing experience.

- Paul

Well, the grain of salt I meant is the media is looking for problems now, digging up the testing reports and learning problems were found. Finding problems is the whole point of testing.

The question not answered is a) have solutions been found for the problems and b) how does it affect the timeline. We should know more this week after they go in front of the Finance and Development Committee.

Some progress shots of the Brampton Alstom facility:

They committed the unforgivable Canadian sin of posting different content for the same Tweet in French and English.

I read both tweets and was like "they say pretty much the same thing", then realized you meant the picture :)

Should have posted this here earlier, you can take a full virtual tour of one of Ottawa's citadii from end to end. The metrolinx version should be pretty similar

Edit: I'm not sure the metrolinx version will have the stanchions though, neither TTC or Ion uses them on their Flexities, and the TTC made a big deal about the TR's being stanchion-free. Ottawa is expecting a lot of standing passengers on their trains.

Last edited:
Edit: I'm not sure the metrolinx version will have the stanchions though, neither TTC or Ion uses them on their Flexities, and the TTC made a big deal about the TR's being stanchion-free. Ottawa is expecting a lot of standing passengers on their trains.

There are lots of stanchions on the TTC's trains. No shortage of them, in fact.

What they don't like are stanchions in the middle of the floors of vehicles.

Dan

There are lots of stanchions on the TTC's trains. No shortage of them, in fact.

What they don't like are stanchions in the middle of the floors of vehicles.

Dan
That's what I meant, the center full height ones, not the ones attached to seats or at the sides. Should have clarified

Back