News   Apr 25, 2024
 632     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 521     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 769     0 

Metrolinx: Bombardier Flexity Freedom & Alstom Citadis Spirit LRVs

I haven't been following Ottawa that closely. What advantage do they gain by using low-floor trains on a 100% grade-separated system? Or is this future-proofing for future less-central spurs and extensions that might not be 100% grade-separated?

They did a run for the media here in Ottawa, good footage of the interior of the Citadis trains and the Confederation Line since people here were interested on what they look like on the inside.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1379692
I really like the Alstom trains. I don't quite remember the Flexity's but is there a noticeable difference between the two as far as interior is concerned (i.e size)? The only thing I recall from the Flexity trains was they have the same silly seating layout to the street cars.

I haven't been following Ottawa that closely. What advantage do they gain by using low-floor trains on a 100% grade-separated system? Or is this future-proofing for future less-central spurs and extensions that might not be 100% grade-separated?
No advantage really, they just wanted to save money. They'll probably regret it. Although apparently they did make this model of train a bit wider than usual to compensate somewhat.

EDIT: That's my impression, but to verify I'd have to go through all the years-old news.

The actual original intention was to go at-grade out in the suburbs. Think of it being like crosstown
. However after the vehicle purchase had been made, the VIA/double decker collision happened, and now the political winds shifted to no desire of level crossings of any sort by any kind of train in the urban boundary.

Here's a different clip that shows the driver view of the same media tour

You can also compare to the flexity interior shown here

No advantage really, they just wanted to save money. They'll probably regret it. Although apparently they did make this model of train a bit wider than usual to compensate somewhat.

EDIT: That's my impression, but to verify I'd have to go through all the years-old news.

Low-floor trams, even for heavy-duty LRT, seem to be the industry standard for new construction now. Pity.

Reactions: kps
Not directly related to the Metrolinx LRVs from Bombardier, but...

2K8iuhT

^ That was the basis of the legal action between Metrolinx and Bombardier. The case is now settled. Maybe others can summarize the dispute and where it stands now better than me. Would Metrolinx even want it on site at Mount Dennis at the moment? I realize some track has gone in but is it at the point where they could test it there?

Where would they drive it? The small area of track at Mount Dennis?

It's better for Metrolinx to be testing it in Kingston (and getting the software up to check there). Hopefully they are getting the software ready

So I guess we're waiting on Mount Dennis to be ready then. Makes sense. Hopefully that is soon, and that Bombardier has a bunch ready to ship when MD is ready for them. From recent pictures, it shouldn't be a super long wait. The Region of Waterloo is getting monthly updates on their LRVs, and I'd love if Metrolinx did the same.

Wait why hasn't Metrolinx got one yet then? Their order was first.
Metrolinx isn't supposed to get one until closer to the end of the year as per the agreement.

So I guess we're waiting on Mount Dennis to be ready then. Makes sense. Hopefully that is soon, and that Bombardier has a bunch ready to ship when MD is ready for them. From recent pictures, it shouldn't be a super long wait. The Region of Waterloo is getting monthly updates on their LRVs, and I'd love if Metrolinx did the same.
Waterloo's vehicles are all assembled and are now having their signalling equipment installed in the 8 vehicles still in Kingston on a separate contract.

A little confused, how

long are the Citadis units, I assumed they were always going to be run as single trains?
Alstom’s Citadis Spirit begins train dynamic testing in Ottawa
05/12/2016
[...]
During this phase of the project, the trains will undergo various tests, including dynamic testing at speeds of 80 km/h, and even up to 100 km/h. The dynamic tests that will take place on the test track will focus on traction and braking performance, train behaviour, as well as the comfort and performance of the bogies. Static testing will take place at Belfast Yard and will validate function performance, including HVAC, doors, lighting, passenger information and on board data systems. This phase of testing will run through to the end of March 2017, during which more than 50 test procedures will be completed. Upon completion of this first series of tests, more than a dozen tests will be conducted on a multiple unit train, i.e. two trains coupled together. [...]
http://www.alstom.com/press-centre/...pirit-begins-train-dynamic-testing-in-ottawa/

Back