News   Apr 25, 2024
 249     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 802     2 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 812     0 

Metrolinx: Bombardier Flexity Freedom & Alstom Citadis Spirit LRVs

Ministry just confirmed to me that the new assembly facility is at 7 Blair Drive. I wonder if they'll use the rail spur....
lol...you might want to flip that over: "I wonder if they *won't* use that rail spur". I haven't checked the map to see what it is, but Alstom would be remiss to not have direct access to Class 1 or Metrolinx trackage.

Addendum: Just checked Google Map. So that's where it is! The many times I've passed that facility on the GO K/W train (I lived in Guelph for five years) and wondered about that place. And why the present owners had blocked off the track accessing the building.

Good find...

Slide 14 at that link shows Eglinton Maintenance and Storage Facility occupation and first vehicle delivery occurring in Q4 of 2018, so I wouldn't expect Metrolinx to receive any vehicles from Bombardier until then.

Wonder if this facility could produce a Citadis Tramway, and if that vehicle could work as a TTC streetcar. Or I guess it's too late to piggyback onto this deal. Maybe sometime in the future after the Outlooks are delivered.

Wonder if this facility could produce a Citadis Tramway, and if that vehicle could work as a TTC streetcar. Or I guess it's too late to piggyback onto this deal. Maybe sometime in the future after the Outlooks are delivered.
The modules are too large to handle the minimum 11 metre turning radius requirement of TTC Streetcar tracks.

News Release

New Brampton Facility will Support Over 600 Jobs and Boost Public Transit
April 10, 2018

Ontario Partners with Alstom to Assemble Light Rail Vehicles for Peel and GTHA
Ontario is supporting over 600 jobs and delivering more public transit for communities in Peel Region and the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA) with the opening of a new assembly facility for light rail vehicles (LRVs) in Brampton.

Steven Del Duca, Minister of Economic Development and Growth, was in Brampton today to announce the future home of Alstom's new LRV assembly facility. In May 2017, Ontario announced a contract with Alstom to provide 61 vehicles for light rail transit (LRT) projects in the GTHA, with an option to acquire an additional 44 vehicles.

The contract, which is worth $528 million, will create between 100 and 120 full-time jobs in the new Alstom facility in Brampton, and support an additional 400 to 500 spinoff jobs. It will ensure that Metrolinx has the high-quality vehicles needed to open its LRT projects in the GTHA on time.

Ontario's plan to support care, create opportunity and make life more affordable during this period of rapid economic change includes a higher minimum wage and better working conditions, free tuition for hundreds of thousands of students, easier access to affordable child care, and free prescription drugs for everyone under 25, and 65 or over, through the biggest expansion of medicare in a generation.

QUICK FACTS
  • Ontario added 10,600 jobs in March. Since the recession in 2008, Ontario has gained more than 800,000 new jobs, and currently has the lowest unemployment rate in 17 years. Last year, 500 new jobs were created, on average, each day.
  • Since 2003, Ontario has invested about $16 billion in priority rapid transit projects in the GTHA, including $1.4 billion for the Hurontario LRT and $8.4 billion for rapid transit projects in the City of Toronto such as the Eglinton Crosstown LRT and the Finch West LRT.
  • Ontario is making the largest infrastructure investment in hospitals, schools, public transit, roads and bridges in the province's history. To learn more about what's happening in your community, go to Ontario.ca/BuildON.
This is such a waste of money. Metrolinx needs to admit they don't know what they are doing as far as building these LRT lines. So far all they seem to show they are good at is digging a tunnel and putting lots of equipment around various place around the city.

^ As if Metrolinx could change the minds of City Council or the Provincial government when it came to the LRT vs Subway debate in Toronto. It was the politicians, not the agency that changed its mind. One issues orders. The other implements.

Timely article: https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...council-chose-it-over-lrt-critics-charge.html
If metrolix had been compatint they would have changed the amount of lrvs they ended and changed the delivery schedule. Instead they kept the same number as before and complied that they weren't getting them on time.

Meanwhile...ION delayed another six months due to lack of vehicles.
Ion actually asked them to hold them back because they weren't ready for them as they started testing late. Mostly because metrolix was dragging out accepting the prototype. Ion signed a deal with metrolix thinking they would have a vechile that had already gone through testing on the Sheppard east LRT and the SRT replacement lines.

Meanwhile...ION delayed another six months due to lack of vehicles. Still think the second contact is a bad idea?

http://www.570news.com/2018/04/13/ion-start-date-pushed-back-december/

Meanwhile Ottawa has almost all of its trains now, though the tunnel still doesn't have track all the way through it yet.

Wow! I thought my prediction of Ottawa's LRT opening before ION was dead when Ottawa postponed to November. Looks like I might end up being right, though!

Ion actually asked them to hold them back because they weren't ready for them as they started testing late. Mostly because metrolix was dragging out accepting the prototype. Ion signed a deal with metrolix thinking they would have a vechile that had already gone through testing on the Sheppard east LRT and the SRT replacement lines.
Although this is a piggyback order the specs are different vs the metrolinx order (double cab vs single cab amongst other things). Plus since they're not technically part of the metrolinx group but they're responsible for their own testing and whatever comes out of it is their own to deal with. Sure metrolinx had their dispute with bbr but bbr screwed up ion as well because they were simply incompetent in the early phases of development. Remember they were years late to begin with for the first car so but I do find the latest delay baffling. What reason do they have to delay opening by 6 months?? Is it a vehicle problem or an operations problem? If it's the latter blaming me and bbr is a moot point.

Meanwhile...ION delayed another six months due to lack of vehicles. Still think the second contact is a bad idea?

http://www.570news.com/2018/04/13/ion-start-date-pushed-back-december/

Meanwhile Ottawa has almost all of its trains now, though the tunnel still doesn't have track all the way through it yet.

Correction: I just learned a train has now traversed the entire line in Ottawa (though not all the way under it's on power).
https://mobile.twitter.com/JimWatsonOttawa/status/985208067368333314

Dawpgm1WsAAPV8y

Last edited:

Back