News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 445     0 

GO Transit: Union Station Shed Replacement & Track Upgrades (Zeidler)

Yes, since the original shed roof above platform 3 is retained - it is not an issue.
Not an issue for rain.

The new atrium looks great; I wish they'd simply remove all the old shed and replace it. That it's historic seems unfortunate.

OMG...
I can hardly believe it, but it seems GO has rediscovered a long lost technology.
They're planning to use escalators at Union station in the future! Can you believe it? I still can't...
Escalators! :eek: of all things...

I don't think there will be escalators to the platform will there? I thought that they would be used between the mall and concourse levels, but there was concern about escalators leading to crowded platforms being a hazard.

I thought that they would be used between the mall and concourse levels

Yes that's all I was referring to. I understand why escalators up to the platforms at Union would be a bad idea, but the general lack of escalators across the entire system has always confounded me.

Yes that's all I was referring to. I understand why escalators up to the platforms at Union would be a bad idea, but the general lack of escalators across the entire system has always confounded me.
There used to be an escalator at Whitby station, and it was removed. My impression is that escalators operating in unheated semi-outdoors environments like the GO station platform areas weren't all that reliable, and GO has been replacing them with elevators.

There used to be an escalator at Whitby station, and it was removed. My impression is that escalators operating in unheated semi-outdoors environments like the GO station platform areas weren't all that reliable, and GO has been replacing them with elevators.

Elevators are mandated by law come 2025 for accessibility requirement.

GO removing escalator was because of cost to repair them caused by salt. Europe has no issues with their escalators.

Having 1 elevator per platform doesn't help anyone needing them if it goes out of service. Unless there is 2 by 2025, expect to see law suite fly when the only one goes out of service. This also applies to TTC and other systems in Ontario.

GO removed all of the escalators because they felt that they were too much of a pain to actually maintain them. Silly, but true.

Meanwhile, at the TTC, they seem to have little or no problems with theirs.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Elevators are mandated by law come 2025 for accessibility requirement.

GO removing escalator was because of cost to repair them caused by salt. Europe has no issues with their escalators.

Having 1 elevator per platform doesn't help anyone needing them if it goes out of service. Unless there is 2 by 2025, expect to see law suite fly when the only one goes out of service. This also applies to TTC and other systems in Ontario.

Wouldn't there be a second elevator when the York Concourse opens and the Bay concourse is closed for reconstruction? Track 1 (Platform 3) has two direct elevators serving it (one from the bus terminal); Platform 3 also has a ramp from the Great Hall, though I'm not sure if that meets modern standards for wheelchair ramp slopes. I also can't remember if any of the platforms have elevators from both the GO Bay and VIA concourses.

Some photos from Friday evening:

9122240096_b992148afa_h.jpg

9120016993_36c9e73c07_h.jpg

9120017877_b89abe2ea5_b.jpg

Tracks 1 and 2 completely removed:

9122244330_a8afa78c2a_h.jpg

Looks like the crane is being moved or a new crane coming.

You mean because of the blue steel cage in the photos? Those are the temp supports for when they put up the next set of legs. Go back to post 580 and you can see them there too.

Or did you see one being setup?

Back