News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 445     0 

GO Transit: Union Station Shed Replacement & Track Upgrades (Zeidler)

Metrolinx has either update their site as well GO or are in the process of doing it, but you are now allow to shot photos or video's on any GO Transit/Metrolinx property so long its not for commercial or make money off it. Safety is the number one issues when doing this as well blocking the flow of riders.

There is no lights in the new canopy overhanging the platform as noted in the photo above. On the plateform, yes there are LEDS
That platform is totally unfinished at this time.

I was surprised to see a new escalator on this platform and may have to do with VIA.

New block signals are in place for the tracks.

You can find the rest of the photos I shot headhouse up on my sight dated June 27.
9162099311_3a10236c7f_b.jpg

9162107527_5d08e71290_b.jpg

9164333962_8456538e76_b.jpg

9164340376_731a139904_b.jpg

9164342724_45533c04d5_b.jpg

9166623072_5ed4a0236e_b.jpg

Last edited:
5th set of steel columns is now up. We now have 1 set left to go (8 out of 48 columns).

I imagine that stepping out of a train under the modern canopy will make a great first impression of Toronto. It looks sophisticated in a grand, metropolitan way that we need more of in Toronto. Then, they'll see the historic train bush and admire that this city also has an interesting past. It's not just one dimensional.

I walked the platform at Union Station today. The new roof covers surprisingly little of the platforms. I was underwhelmed :(

I agree. Depending on where you exit the train you wouldn't even know there was a canopy at all. I really hope the old train shed looks somewhat decent when its cleaned up considering it still covers the majority of the tracks.

Is there a rendering of what the old train shed will look like or is it basically going to look as is?

The platforms should be completely covered.

Totally agree. I tried to see anything "historical" about the shed but I see nothing there worth keeping. I'd really rather just have this roof removed and put it somewhere else if it's that important.

Totally agree. I tried to see anything "historical" about the shed but I see nothing there worth keeping. I'd really rather just have this roof removed and put it somewhere else if it's that important.

I like the shed for its historic look and because it completely covers the platforms that it was built over.

Have you forgotten what it used to be like under the old shed? Having that centre third of the platform opened up has made a huge difference to the amount of light entering the platform area, and that's without even having the rest of the shed cleaned and repainted and the skylights fixed up

Have you forgotten what it used to be like under the old shed? Having that centre third of the platform opened up has made a huge difference to the amount of light entering the platform area, and that's without even having the rest of the shed cleaned and repainted and the skylights fixed up

Honestly, as stated above, unless you happen to get off in the middle 3-4 cars of the train, you don't notice much of a difference in natural light. It's just as dank and dark as ever. :-(

are they planning on extending this new canopy farther across the existing sheds in the future? honestly if they are just going to leave it like that it just looks
like a cheap attempt at modernizing that ran out of money part way through.....

are they planning on extending this new canopy farther across the existing sheds in the future? honestly if they are just going to leave it like that it just looks

Agreed they should build it out further instead of leaving it as it is currently which seems like its not finished.

I'd really rather just have this roof removed and put it somewhere else if it's that important.

Um what? Haha
Did you have a location in mind?

No. And it's not even close to being finished, the historical part is due to be refurbished. If anyone thinks there's no difference, no matter where you're standing, you have a short memory. It was much worse.

Back