News   Apr 19, 2024
 395     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 9.2K     2 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

^I don’t have a number handy, but the overall grade is steeper than one might think climbing up to Etobicoke North. A longish freight will have no problem moving through the tunnel, as the rear portion which is going downhill pushes on the front part which is climbing out of the dip.
Until....the rear of the train reaches the downhill, and as the downhill portion gets shorter, there is less push but just as much pull. There is an extra tension thru the train as the rear 2500 feet hangs over the edge and the front portion is already stretched on that climb. Prime territory for pulling a drawbar.
The detour trains this week were around 7000 feet, so the head end may be nearing Humberview while the tail end is on that 2%. The nightly transfers are not usually near that length. I watched one at Humberview on the weekend that was down to 13 mph going uphill. They had to cross from T1 to T2 at Humberview accoint the 401 clearances. That left UP only one track from Nickle to Wice while that freight was out there.
CP was not wrong to decline to put their tracks in the tunnel.

- Paul

May help with speeds through Guelph.

I like this solution as it addresses a number of concerns myself and others had around potential expropriation and demolition of the heritage houses along Kent and Northumberland by avoiding widening. These streets are both residential and should be fine as one ways. This crossing is one of the slowest parts of the Kitchener line in my experience.

Late to the party, but I had no idea that GO Route 20 from Oakville to Milton was cut last fall. What a huge mistake that makes students and young workers suffer.

According to Google Maps, it almost takes the same time to WALK from Oakville Trafalgar Hospital to Milton GO as it does to take four buses through Mississauga. Insane.

Late to the party, but I had no idea that GO Route 20 from Oakville to Milton was cut last fall. What a huge mistake that makes students and young workers suffer.

According to Google Maps, it almost takes the same time to WALK from Oakville Trafalgar Hospital to Milton GO as it does to take four buses through Mississauga. Insane.

GO Transit isn't interested in running short-distance routes, especially those within regional boundaries.

In fairness, couldn't a Highway 25 route between Milton and Oakville Hospital be operated by Milton Transit? Transit agencies elsewhere extend past their boundaries to major nearby transfer points and hubs - Humber College (Brampton, Miway, YRT), UTSC (DRT), Pearson Airport (TTC, BT). Heck, Brampton extends way beyond its borders to Square One, York U, and even UTM.

GO Transit isn't interested in running short-distance routes, especially those within regional boundaries.

In fairness, couldn't a Highway 25 route between Milton and Oakville Hospital be operated by Milton Transit? Transit agencies elsewhere extend past their boundaries to major nearby transfer points and hubs - Humber College (Brampton, Miway, YRT), UTSC (DRT), Pearson Airport (TTC, BT). Heck, Brampton extends way beyond its borders to Square One, York U, and even UTM.

Good points. In an earlier post, it was proposed that Milton, Burlington and Oakville transit should be merged, which could ease tensions over territory. Regardless, this huge gap in service is embarrassment.

I wonder how much it would cost to quad track the from Burlington go halton sub to the potential 407 bypass then the halton sub and York sub to pickering go. So that there is a crosstown go train line. The distance is about 105 km total, but the amount of bridges, grade separations and stuff like that would increase the cost alot. Probably the projected ridership wouldn't justify the cost

Good points. In an earlier post, it was proposed that Milton, Burlington and Oakville transit should be merged, which could ease tensions over territory. Regardless, this huge gap in service is embarrassment.
Burlington has been over 10 years trying to get Halton to take over transit in their city. Halton has looked at merging all services in its Region, but has done nothing anything about it due to cost.

There is no service from Milton to Georgetown that should be by GO or Halton/Milton.

There are huge gaps in Halton and will remain missing until Metrolinx has full control over Halton that been part of their plan since 2007.

miWay ran service into Oakville along Dundas, but was cancel due to poor ridership. Metrolinx wants to run an BRT from Kipling Regional Hub to Burlington in its own ROW, but the ROW stops west of Hurontario under Mississauga Dundas plan with the backing of Metrolinx due to ridership. Oakville has had in their Master Transit Plan an BRT ROW running from Mississauga to Burlington close to 15 years, but can't get off the ground due very low density along Dundas then and now. If an BRT is to run along Dundas as plan, then it has to be a GO Transit Thing since it runs through 3 cities/town. If miWay was to do it, it would have to be subsidizes by Oakville and Burlington, with Burlington opposing it to cover full cost of miWay service since they don't like playing for Transit in their own city.

miWay runs over 10 routes into Toronto today using Islington at this time and will move to Kipling in Sept this year. Brampton runs service to Pearson From Bramalea Terminal as well on Dixie to the Transitway at Peak Time Only as well to Westwood Terminal. TTC service Westwood Terminal as well.

York Region runs buses to Finch Station as well Don Mills Station.

There should be a PEEL Transit System like other Regions, but both cities don't want it, especially Mississauga who wants out of Peel for a long time. When Peel was form, there was a plan for Peel Transit, but died during the formation of the Region and Mississauga.

These days, MP's, MPP's and their staff just file complaints in the junk file, with the odd ones willing to do something about a complaint on Transit. If its about cars, roads and highway, they will listen and do something about it.

I wonder how much it would cost to quad track the from Burlington go halton sub to the potential 407 bypass then the halton sub and York sub to pickering go. So that there is a crosstown go train line. The distance is about 105 km total, but the amount of bridges, grade separations and stuff like that would increase the cost alot. Probably the projected ridership wouldn't justify the cost
You are talking partly about the Missing Link If you are doing such thing, them it needs to be from Burlington Junction to east end of Toronto on CN corridor as well. This line wouldn't need 12 cars train and could get away with a 2 set DMU train or 6 cars long.

Back