News   Apr 19, 2024
 569     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 615     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     3 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Sorry I meant the protest (and its outcomes) seem like a form of terrorism.

Where the goal is to get the attention of government and the population; they've achieved their goal.

I don't think anybody is terrified, refusing to live their normal life in fear of injury or death,, so the protest is a very poor implementation of terrorism.

Where the goal is to get the attention of government and the population; they've achieved their goal.

I don't think anybody is terrified, refusing to live their normal life in fear of injury or death,, so the protest is a very poor implementation of terrorism.

Well now, in fairness; a certain Truth and Reconciliation commission used the term 'genocide' to describe a population increase of 7 fold.

Its apparently in vogue at the moment 'appropriate' words in English and modify their meaning to suit your POV.

FWIW, I can confirm what charge was threatened in Hamilton by intervening police.

Mischief over $5,000.

The charge carries a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison, if proceeded with by indictment.

Seems like terrorism.

Terrorism is a pretty loaded term - to inappropriately apply it to "things we don't like" just makes one suspicious of how legislation around terrorist activities can be used.

Well now, in fairness; a certain Truth and Reconciliation commission used the term 'genocide' to describe a population increase of 7 fold.

Its apparently in vogue at the moment 'appropriate' words in English and modify their meaning to suit your POV.

The phrase isn't wrong technically - though common understanding is that it refers only to massacres and as such should be used with extreme caution.

Anyhow, we now return to regular programming...

AoD

Last edited:
The worst thing is, if the rail companies were unaware of the blockage, those protesters would be dead. It takes a mile to stop a train. I almost wonder if there is more to the protesters blockades that we don''t know, like the rail companies being warned.

^ There is a nightly freight that comes down from CN MacMillan Yard and interchanges traffic with CP at Lambton Yard. The TTC streetcars being rewelded in Quebec have all taken this route. So while this week is unusual, freights pass thru the Weston tunnel all the time.
The grade is tricky especially for longer trains going west, but not impossible or unsafe. I am told that the speed limit is 25 mph. The 401 tunnel is more restrictive, in that due to clearances and the current tunnel construction, freights can only use the middle track.
There have been a couple reroutes in each direction overnight for the past few days, and one each way during the day. This morning, two westbounds ran off CP up to CN at Malport. The overnight trains have not been a problem but running a freignt in the day on top of GO and UP has not been easy. It has taken all day for some trains to go from Malport to the Junction and vv. Between two Newmarket GO trains an hour at the Davenport diamond, and two an hour on the Weston Sub, it’s like threading a needle.

- paul

Huh, TIL. I always figured that all freights on that stretch just used the CP tracks which are still at grade (and which from my understanding remained as such since CP didn't like the grades in the Weston tunnel).

For some reason I had mistakenly thought that the grades were too steep for full length freight trains for the Weston Tunnel and the West Toronto Grade Separation. cc @crs1026 @smallspy

It's not that it's too steep.

Well, it is too steep. The grade on either side is 2%. But that's not the issue.

A train rolling through at track speed (25mph) won't have any difficulty making it through so long as it's cleared all of the way through. The grades are steep, but short, and so the train won't loose that much speed. If the train is forced to stop, that's where it becomes a problem.

^ Is this corridor now done by GO's RTC?

Yes.

Dan

Back