News   Aug 09, 2024
 856     2 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 695     0 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 3K     2 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

You are talking partly about the Missing Link If you are doing such thing, them it needs to be from Burlington Junction to east end of Toronto on CN corridor as well. This line wouldn't need 12 cars train and could get away with a 2 set DMU train or 6 cars long.
Yeah, that was what i was trying to say.
1583868960495.png

What level of decline should GO Transit expect in riders with Coronavirus? Was there a noticeable decline during SARS?

I am not sure the time period of SARS offers a good comparison for GO because of two changes since 2003:
  1. Student riders: the GO network has greatly expanded service to University campuses in the past 17 years, and if they shut down (like York U is as of Monday) that will slash ridership that did not exist in 2003.
  2. White Collar Workers staying home: There's been a huge expansion of Work From Home capacity for white collar workers in the past 17 years. Back in 2003 there was still a good segment of the population with no broadband internet access, or even no internet access at all. Now most white collar workers are expected to have full capability to remotely log in to their computer from home, or they have a work laptop which they can take home each day and connect remotely to the corporate network. All the big corporations have this kind of arrangement and can easily enable it. Some already are.
So, given that, I suspect the ridership drop for GO (and the TTC) will be much higher than in 2003. I wouldn't be surprised if both agencies have to ask for more operating funds to scrape by this year.

Last edited:
Burlington has been over 10 years trying to get Halton to take over transit in their city. Halton has looked at merging all services in its Region, but has done nothing anything about it due to cost.

There is no service from Milton to Georgetown that should be by GO or Halton/Milton.

There are huge gaps in Halton and will remain missing until Metrolinx has full control over Halton that been part of their plan since 2007.

miWay ran service into Oakville along Dundas, but was cancel due to poor ridership. Metrolinx wants to run an BRT from Kipling Regional Hub to Burlington in its own ROW, but the ROW stops west of Hurontario under Mississauga Dundas plan with the backing of Metrolinx due to ridership. Oakville has had in their Master Transit Plan an BRT ROW running from Mississauga to Burlington close to 15 years, but can't get off the ground due very low density along Dundas then and now. If an BRT is to run along Dundas as plan, then it has to be a GO Transit Thing since it runs through 3 cities/town. If miWay was to do it, it would have to be subsidizes by Oakville and Burlington, with Burlington opposing it to cover full cost of miWay service since they don't like playing for Transit in their own city.

miWay runs over 10 routes into Toronto today using Islington at this time and will move to Kipling in Sept this year. Brampton runs service to Pearson From Bramalea Terminal as well on Dixie to the Transitway at Peak Time Only as well to Westwood Terminal. TTC service Westwood Terminal as well.

York Region runs buses to Finch Station as well Don Mills Station.

There should be a PEEL Transit System like other Regions, but both cities don't want it, especially Mississauga who wants out of Peel for a long time. When Peel was form, there was a plan for Peel Transit, but died during the formation of the Region and Mississauga.

These days, MP's, MPP's and their staff just file complaints in the junk file, with the odd ones willing to do something about a complaint on Transit. If its about cars, roads and highway, they will listen and do something about it.
Brampton Transit and MiWay coordinate quite a bit when it comes to route planning and timings. It remains unclear how the priority bus routes that would run in both Brampton and Mississauga would be done. Hopefully it doesn't require Metrolinx to own it.

Brampton Transit and MiWay coordinate quite a bit when it comes to route planning and timings. It remains unclear how the priority bus routes that would run in both Brampton and Mississauga would be done. Hopefully it doesn't require Metrolinx to own it.
The plan has been since 2007 that Metrolinx will control all systems in the GTHA, but operation would be left to cities or private contractor of various routes to plan and run them. Metrolinx wants to run on the London model.

Because of mix feelings between both cities, Mississauga had to cut service to Brampton for route 19 by stopping at the useless 407 stop. Both cities run mix express on Dixie at peak time.

Brampton has become more aggressive in proving service and running where they want to in Mississauga. Brampton has been running circles around Mississauga for service over 10 years and build up a better system than Mississauga.

Enough! I rarely rant here.

I'm not shy about my opinions, but I pride myself on nuance and carefully evidencing anything but aesthetic preferences.

I've had enough of Phil Verster; like Rick Leary; a person with a highly suspect CV has become dominant here and used his position to advocate for less than well evidence positions.

When it comes to backing the Ontario Line, with all its attendant challenges.........Mr. Verster damned himself.

When backing Presto, roughly as it is; and blaming riders for its many failings, as he did on TVO the other night; he damned himself further.

But when advocating service reductions that will increase the risk of contagion of disease in Ontario, where social distance has been established as highly desirable he's gone beyond too far.

He, along with Rick Leary need to leave their positions forthwith; and if not done voluntarily, they need to be voluntold.

But when advocating service reductions that will increase the risk of contagion of disease in Ontario, where social distance has been established as highly desirable he's gone beyond too far.

Personally I would have preferred if they had closed the entire damn GO Network, Union Station and the TTC.

Personally I would have preferred if they had closed the entire damn GO Network, Union Station and the TTC.

You are prone to irrational statements.

At least you're not BurlOak who is motivated in some way to cause damage to the world.

But if you do so by accident, I'm not sure how much better it is...........

Back