News   Nov 12, 2019
 383     6 
News   Nov 12, 2019
 876     2 
News   Nov 12, 2019
 905     10 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

crs1026

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm interested in seeing what trips terminate at Bramalea Station, and which ones continue to Mount Pleasant, and what the bus schedule will look like. I don't really want a repeat of the early 2000s, where the train plus bus connection to Brampton added 30-40 minutes to a trip that used to be done with an express run on the 401-410.
At first glance it appears that the new Bramalea trains are at rush hour, where the new off peak trains go to Mount Pleasant. Some of the Mount Pleasant runs now extend further west, as opposed to originating/terminating at MP.

The late evening timings to Guelph and Kitchener are certainly welcome. I just wonder if they depart too early for the evening show/sports event crowd.

We sure need those track upgrades to get a morning counterflow train to Kitchener.

New afternoon all-stops option to Bramalea GO:

• One new homebound 5:45 p.m. trip from Union Station will serve all stops to Bramalea GO, arriving at 6:21 p.m.
  • These customers can take this trip instead of the 6 p.m. trip from Union Station, which will now run express to Bramalea GO.

In case you need to stay later, we’re introducing hourly evening train service to and from Bramalea GO:

• The last train from Bramalea GO will leave at 10:14 p.m. and arrive at Union Station at 10:51 p.m. The last train from Union will leave at 10:53 p.m. and arrive at Bramalea GO at 11:27 p.m.
  • Some of these trips go as far as Mount Pleasant GO.

We’re extending some existing trips all the way to Kitchener GO:

• The 12:53 p.m. westbound trip from Union will now make all stops to Kitchener and arriver at 2:47 p.m.
  • The 9 a.m. eastbound trip from Mount Pleasant GO will now start in Kitchener at 7:57 a.m.
  • The 3:52 p.m. eastbound trip from Mount Pleasant GO will start at Kitchener at 2:57 p.m. and will depart eight minutes later at all stations.

We’re also introducing a few late-night trips, so you can come into the city for a game or a show and leave the car behind:

• A new 9:53 p.m. trip from Union Station will make all stops to Kitchener GO, arriving at 11:47 p.m.
  • A new 10:53 p.m. trip from Union Station will make all stops to Guelph Central GO, arriving at 12:22 a.m.
  • A new 8:57 p.m. trip from Kitchener GO will make all stops to Union Station, arriving at 10:51 p.m.
- Paul

Jonny5

Member Bio
Reaction score
I wonder how long this will last. As someone who has been to Niagara Falls in the winter I can safely say it is inhospitable. Most shops in the falls area are closed, the weather is cold, frozen and damp.

Factor in snowstorms out that in the winter and you have the makings for schedule nightmares. Also... the ridership will be low.
Maybe it's for the hardcore gamblers. We can call it the One Armed Bandit Express because of the ticket cost from The Falls to Union.

Jonny5

Member Bio
Reaction score
I doubt it's for tourists unless they're planning on seeing the falls freeze. The trains will likely serve students heading to McMaster, York U, and U of T (Maybe even those from UW, UG and WLU), people visiting family/friends, those going to Toronto for Shopping, and those going to the US via Rainbow Bridge (though, those will be very very few indeed).
McMaster is the odd one out here since those trains don't stop at Aldershot. I suppose you can get off at Burlington, then transfer to another train to get back to Aldershot and then transfer to the bus to McMaster, but, wow, is that ever a PITA of a transit trip, especially in the middle of winter when most will be needing to make that trip.

E•MO•TION

Member Bio
Reaction score
Kitchener schedule is up now...damn that's a lot of extra trips all the way to Kitchener!
I only had the chance to quickly glance at the schedule, but there appears to be a small, but welcome savings of five minutes end-to-end on the Kitchener Line. I wonder if VIA will follow suit?

raptor

Member Bio
Reaction score
I only had the chance to quickly glance at the schedule, but there appears to be a small, but welcome savings of five minutes end-to-end on the Kitchener Line. I wonder if VIA will follow suit?
The press release mentioned 20 min savings for the express trips from Kitchener.

crs1026

Member Bio
Reaction score
Say what you want about Doug Ford and his party, but this is a serious increase in GO train trips, which should be applauded.
My impression is that Ford is feeding ML measured amounts of money - less than the previous government promised, but more than the previous government delivered, and likely reliably so for the future. With both Barrie and Mount Joy expansion now confirmed, fourth track to Bramalea in progress, and some easing of CN's stance on the Halton evident (which may be due to changes in senior personnel at CN, rather than ML's efforts), it's clear that Ford is not playing Grim Reaper with the GO system. I would rather have $XM reliably delivered than (2x$XM) promised but never delivered.

I will still carp about the puffery and misleading numbers and the lack of transparency in all this: the new services mean lots of new seatmiles, which ML will include in its declarations about the % of expansion.....but lots of those seats may run empty, especially on the longer runs to Kitchener and Niagara. But that's only a partly empty glass. Those seats may fill with time.

Note the announcement that some trains may be shorter....I wonder if the latest railcar acquisitions has given GO the breathing room to create some short consists without impairing the number of 12-car trains needed - that may have some efficiencies.

- Paul

LNahid2000

Member Bio
Reaction score
The 610am trip from Kitchener is down to 1 hour, 46 minutes and the 6pm trip from Union is down to 1 hour, 47 minutes.

BTW, hi Carly Rae!

Krypto98

Member Bio
Reaction score
At first glance it appears that the new Bramalea trains are at rush hour, where the new off peak trains go to Mount Pleasant. Some of the Mount Pleasant runs now extend further west, as opposed to originating/terminating at MP.

The late evening timings to Guelph and Kitchener are certainly welcome. I just wonder if they depart too early for the evening show/sports event crowd.

We sure need those track upgrades to get a morning counterflow train to Kitchener.

- Paul
Is it just me or the existing bus trips to from union on the kitchener line still around?

innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
It appears to be entirely saved between Kitchener and Guelph, Guelph is still posting the same travel times. Travel time between Guelph and Kitchener on the 14:50 train from Union is now 25 minutes, down from 32. This is an improvement of average speed from 41km/h to 54km/h. Still a long way to go.