News   Apr 25, 2024
 138     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

assuming all else being equal
I didn't state otherwise, that the 'Thrust to Weight Ratio' was the criteria to meet or beat. Now build a diesel all wheelset drive train to do that.

It could be nuclear powered too, or inflated balloons driving pneumatic pistons, or Hydrail. Match the achievable EMU distributed tractive effort and match the price to do it.

There's a reason that EMUs are the vehicle of choice for commuter service in many/most instances. Beyond catenary, it's obviously a different issue.
https://www.slideshare.net/alevin/caltrain-emu-dmu-comparison

Last edited:
Based an unscientific sample of YouTube videos, here's the rough acceleration comparison between our fleet and a European local-service EMU:

0 to 100 km/h:
Nederlandse Spoorwegen Bombardier SLT EMU: 46 seconds
UP Express Nippon Sharyo DMU: 80 seconds
GO Transit MPI MP40 + 6 Bilevels: 89 seconds
GO Transit MPI MP40 + 12 Bilevels: 1 million years (estimate)

I was at Weston station during the PM peak a couple weeks ago and there was definitely a heavy commuter flow coming off the UP Express. There seemed to be about 50 people getting off each UP train, versus about 10 people getting off each GO train. The 3-car trains were arriving with about a seated load, but 2-car trains were arriving with full standing loads, which suggests they may have been crush loaded at Bloor.

The 2-car UP trains would not be able to handle the commuter demand from both Weston and Mount Dennis, they're already struggling to handle the demand just from Weston. With a fully 3-car fleet it might be doable, but I don't think we'll be buying any more DMUs given that UP is first on the list for electrification. I think that the most politically viable option for the Mount Dennis station opening in 2021 would be to significantly increase Bramalea-Union local GO service at the same time that UP is relocated from Weston to Mount Dennis. Fortunately almost all the demand on UP at Weston is to/from Union, not Pearson, so more frequent GO service would do the same job anyway.

That swap would be kind of similar to the way off-peak service was eliminated from York U GO station simultaneously with the introduction of hourly off-peak Barrie Line service and the opening Downsview Park station on December 30 2017.

Last edited:
@reaperexpress What was the approximate breakdown for the UPX passengers in terms of the mode they used to leave the station? That is, how many were being picked up, how many parked in the nearby lots, live within walking distance, transfer to TTC, etc.

@reaperexpress What was the approximate breakdown for the UPX passengers in terms of the mode they used to leave the station? That is, how many were being picked up, how many parked in the nearby lots, live within walking distance, transfer to TTC, etc.

I couldn't really tell. I was outside the station for only one UP arrival and people swarmed off the platform in every direction. All I could clearly see is that there were about 6-7 cars in line to pick people up at the north entrance and one person left by bicycle, at which point there were 7 bikes remaining in the north parking area.

It's worth noting that I was observing over 200 people per hour getting off northbound UP Express trains alone, and the station's entire parking supply is only 250 spaces.

The 3-car trains were arriving with about a seated load, but 2-car trains were arriving with full standing loads, which suggests they may have been crush loaded at Bloor.
As someone who lives right at the Bloor Station, and often uses the UPX to transit (I avoid peak whenever possible though) I can assure that any load exiting at Weston didn't get on at Bloor, save for a few souls. There's a huge crush getting off at Bloor from Union. At Union, there's two lines formed by staff in peak, one for airport travellers, who load first, then the commuters, and often many have to wait for the next train. Unless they've started to recently, actual body counts aren't made, it's purely down to room left, and a lot of the load is standing.
The 2-car UP trains would not be able to handle the commuter demand from both Weston and Mount Dennis, they're already struggling to handle the demand just from Weston.
For peak, absolutely agreed. Which is why I'm so adamant that two separate services be run along the same present track pathings. Unless someone can indicate otherwise, I'm led to believe that the UPX have their paths signalled at a more intense rate than the the present third track used predominantly for diesel to Mt Pleasant mid-day, and peak in morning, or out evening.

Since I'm led to believe that intervals/headway can be as little as five minutes for the UPX paths (maybe even less) then twice as many emu commuter runs could be added in-between the present 15 min UPX service. These could/would not go to the UPX terminals which would remain as is, as would the DMU service to the airport, but would extend north from the airport spur, either to a GO hub in the airport, where direct 'open ticket' transfer could occur to GO buses (two routes now serve Pearson) and/or continue on to Bramalea, where a plethora of transfers is possible.

At the Union end, either terminating or through-running would occur to perhaps serve Richmond Hill or Unionville. The eastern loop would occur when the next phase of electrification would happen. A commuter service would use a platform in the main station, not the UPX one now used.

Electrification to Mt Pleasant would extend the emus there once the corridor widening would allow.

Since the UPX is the first touted service to be electrified, this concept is 'low hanging fruit' to be taken advantage of. The Georgetown Corridor is woefully underserviced, and yet the demand is clearly there already.

Last edited:
It's worth noting that I was observing over 200 people per hour getting off northbound UP Express trains alone, and the station's entire parking supply is only 250 spaces.

Not to mention many of the spaces are reserved (and gloriously empty) as I discovered earlier this year and had to use the nearby Green P. Surprised the Green P wasn't better used by UPX passengers given the demand (or just redeveloped to put more people within walking distance of the station.)

AMA on twitter alluded to another 15%-20% service upgrade in 2019 (she's referencing the need for more locomotives).
She's been wrong before. She talked about weekend service increases on Lakeshore back in August, but it turned out all they increased were weekday morning and very early afternoon service.

I don't claim to hae eyes on the GO system 24/7, but.... have any of the new locos completed breakin and are running on their own?

I have seen the prototype, 647, out there in revenue service.... but the new ones have escaped me. Mostly I see them on the "please fix me" track at Willowbrook.

- Paul

Back