News   Apr 23, 2024
 947     2 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 429     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.1K     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

It is not really that hard to achieve a 15% increase in service (mathematically speaking) if you double the frequency of weekend service on the Lakeshore lines from every 30 minutes to every 15 minutes I bet you would not really have to do much on the other lines to bring in a 15% overall increase.

I don't claim to hae eyes on the GO system 24/7, but.... have any of the new locos completed breakin and are running on their own?

I have seen the prototype, 647, out there in revenue service.... but the new ones have escaped me. Mostly I see them on the "please fix me" track at Willowbrook.

- Paul

Yes. 667, 668 and 671 have all been out and about and in service. Although more often than not they have been used with another unit.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

^ Still relevant to service if it's now going to take longer to deliver the stations.

The reporter tried to post the actual letter but the website he used is giving him issues.

^
while "third party" partners for GO delivery is sought.
Beyond the initial litany of thoughts...note the use of the singular "is"...or did they mean "are"? (plural) My point is how wide open is this statement?

Edit:
BREAKING: GO SEVICE ON HOLD IN NIAGARA
3:56 PM
Jeff Yurek, Minister of Transportation has announced that Metrolinx has been asked to assess the status of transit projects and "determine the feasibility of applying a market driven approach to delivering transit infrastructure, starting with new GO stations."
This means that the current delivery process for new GO stations, including Grimsby GO proposed with the Lakeshore West corridor extension to Niagara, will be stopped.
And it will work with Metrolinx and development partners to determine if there are opportunities for third party investment to deliver them.
Yurek calls this "an exciting opportunity."
He says this approach can save tax dollars and exponentially grow transit ridership,
http://www.iheartradio.ca/610cktb/news/breaking-go-sevice-on-hold-in-niagara-1.8590404

Last edited:

Letter attached.
IMG_20181130_182111.jpg
IMG_20181130_182113.jpg

^ It's all doubletalk. And I'm by no means slagging the messenger, many thanks for this, but this is 'potentially dangerous' for what it doesn't state more than what it does.

This brings me back to a point I've been making for half a year: Time to discuss the implications of DBFOM, because the Cons are going to go beyond it. And I support P3, but only by organizations and administrations who know what they're doing. Which is exactly why they're being so nefarious and obtuse. They want Big Money to 'make us an offer...one we can't refuse'.

The present Cons haven't a clue. Exhibit A: Ford.

Interestingly, Hamilton LRT was already DBFOM with cuirrently 3 shortlisted bidders. There is already major TOD optimizations -- the 2-storey section of corridor is being upzoned to 6 stories. Lots of opportunities for developers that are aligned to either side of the aisle.

Now.... Reoptimizing the GO stations to being more TOD is the better edge of a double edged sword but who can do it correctly? That's the billion dollar question. This is a developing story that I'm watching closely; the relative tone on Niagara GO versus Hamilton LRT. The LRT is much more important initially, but the Niagara extension will eventually be important.

Finding an operator to run GO does not in any way require that current construction come to a stop. ML can keep building.... and it must retain title to the assets...otherwise GO becomes 407 2.0.
We’re going to find a third party who will negotiate CN to a better outcome for both construction and operation than ML has managed? More likely the third party will wink at CN, agree to CN’s price, and then add its own administrative fee.
- Paul

Ontario to tap private sector for new GO stations, admits strategy may delay projects
By BEN SPURRTransportation Reporter
Fri., Nov. 30, 2018
Metrolinx will rely on the private sector to fund the construction of new GO Transit stations, in a shift in strategy that could reduce public costs, but subject the timing and delivery of public transportation infrastructure to the vagaries of the real estate market.
A brief report that will be discussed at the provincial transit agency’s board meeting next Thursday recommends the board adopt a “market-driven strategy for the implementation of transit infrastructure.”
[...]
Woo said that any new transit development would be subject to municipal planning rules, which set out requirements for affordable housing.
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...tions-admits-strategy-may-delay-projects.html

I leave it to others to add in the missing parts I edited, but I left in the very last sentence since it's astounding in expecting anyone to believe it:
Woo said that any new transit development would be subject to municipal planning rules, which set out requirements for affordable housing.
After all the bad history in the previous regime on this, and now this regime, who run rampant over any municipal legislation, expect The People to believe them?

WTF? Speaking of whoppers...anyone have any electric jokes to share?

Back