News   Apr 24, 2024
 198     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 2.2K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 613     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

^ In deference to the 'slow speed in the USRC'...others will know better on the specifics, but Yard Rules might be the basis of at least some of that, albeit IIRC, that had been upped slightly of late.

^ But if/when UPX moves to electrification wouldn't that make up for any extra time stopping at both stations?
Or keeping the present diesel UPX trains and terminals, and interspersing catenary powered EMUs in between on the same pathings but continued past the terminals at either end, either as run through east from their own platform at Union, and on further spurs off from the airport ones to a run-through GO hub ground level at Pearson, and continuing from there to Bramalea (poss to extend further west later). Open ticket transfers done at the new 'Airport GO hub'...which would also serve Mi-Way and Brampton Transit. Since the present DMUs would have fewer stops, the ability to inter-slot with much faster accelerating/decelerating EMUs would be possible. Max speed on the line is unlikely to change, and the ability to recover the already sizable costs of the UPX terminals maximized by leaving them 'as is'.

Needless to say, the present loco-hauled DDs wouldn't run through the new Airport GO hub, but transfer made at Bamalea from the north, and then they'd run express to Union south from there, possibility of a stop at Bloor.

Last edited:
Will the USRC track upgrades make much of a difference? I know most of the travel time savings from that project are supposed to be on the east end of the USRC.. but still.

Does anyone know what to expect in terms of travel time savings in general from that project? I always found the 7 minute Union-Exhibition travel time to be rather ridiculous given how short a distance it is.

The improvements will make a bit of a difference, shaving about 2 minutes off of the time to Ex, for instance - but most likely only on the outbound trains. (Inbound, they're likely to keep more-or-less the existing schedule but convert the additional time to padding.)

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Needless to say, the present loco-hauled DDs wouldn't run through the new Airport GO hub, but transfer made at Bamalea from the north, and then they'd run express to Union south from there, possibility of a stop at Bloor.

Why wouldn't they run through it? We don't know any of the details for this new hub that would preclude them running through it. IIRC, the concept sketches released last year even showed a bi-level going into the hub.

Until there is another rail connection to the airport, having a place where both GO ("rer" if you will) and UP stop so that passengers from "the west" can be encouraged to use rail to get to the airport.....the further east you make that overlap/connection point the less likely it is to be adopted as a way to the airport (increases the area that is double traveled - east then west back to the airport and the way GO/UP currently does its fares increases the cost).....when Weston was first re-built was a proponent of it ceasing to be a UP station once Mt. Dennis opened.....now, not so much - at least until other issues are resolved.

Why wouldn't they run through it?
For a number of reasons. NB, passengers would just use the faster and more frequent options. Tunnels, can be considerably smaller with single decker vehicles. Curves and grades, can be far more severe with electric and shorter coaches. Air quality in tunnels.

What I'm proposing is far less fantastical than the 'tunnel' being promoted by the GTAA original document which is no longer being touted, btw.

What might be an option is that outside of peak, the 'AD2W' service to K/W is terminated at Bramalea or if accommodating, a shunt track at the airport. A lot of that is predicated on the assumption that the K/W corridor is never going to be electrified the full length.

We're going to be damn lucky to see even the Airport run electrified until another regime change at QP.

^ But if/when UPX moves to electrification wouldn't that make up for any extra time stopping at both stations?
EMUs certainly have better acceleration than diesel (or electric) locomotives. But how does the EMU acceleration compare to DMU acceleration? I thought UPE DMU acceleration was also better than diesel locomotives

But how does the EMU acceleration compare to DMU acceleration? I thought UPE DMU acceleration was also better than diesel locomotives

I would expect both DMU and EMU to be built toward the requirements (acceleration listed in the tender) rather than having a technical restriction; gearing might be a limit but traction certainly shouldn't be.

I would expect both DMU and EMU to be built toward the requirements (acceleration listed in the tender) rather than having a technical restriction; gearing might be a limit but traction certainly shouldn't be.
Actually *wheel traction* (or the antithesis: wheel slip) has a lot to do with limit of acceleration rate, besides thrust and weight.

The Nippon Sharyo DMUs are only driven on one bogie, and perhaps one wheelset. EMUs would have motors on each bogie driving all the wheelsets: "Distributed traction". I can guarantee any modern quality EMU will have greater acceleration and braking performance than the Nippons for the same overall weight. This is one of the many shortcomings of the excellent Cummins powerplant in this configuration. Same powerplant in DEMUs shows much greater performance overall.

And EMUs will show even greater still which ironically, is why they're used so widely. The motors are able to display multiples more torque over periods of acceleration than what a diesel prime motor rating would allow even in a DEMU situation. Electric motors, especially ones rated for 'peak overload' (compared to 'run rating'), and given a low impedance electric source, can produce multiples more torque for short periods than any other conventional traction source. Heat buildup in the motor is usually the limiting factor.

EMUs certainly have better acceleration than diesel (or electric) locomotives. But how does the EMU acceleration compare to DMU acceleration? I thought UPE DMU acceleration was also better than diesel locomotives

An EMU and a DMU - assuming all else being equal - will accelerate at the exact same rate until about 30 or 35mph, depending on gearing.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back