News   Jul 18, 2024
 421     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 578     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 902     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Not sure if this is the right place to ask. But does anyone know what's going on at the train area? I just noticed they seem to be ripping out the tracks near spadina and front street

Not sure if this is the right place to ask. But does anyone know what's going on at the train area? I just noticed they seem to be ripping out the tracks near spadina and front street

You might have to page back a few pages but there was a discussion that I recall that seemed to indicate that they were "re-jigging" the area to store more trains and/or accomodate the new longer trains made possible by the new locomotives.

Maybe they're factoring in some job loss or telecommuting data that we don't know about. Or maybe there just isn't the money to do much expansion in service (despite the money that seems to be there for surface parking). Or maybe the Ontario and federal governments are afraid of investing money into our neglected-to-the-point-of-third-world rail system and all of the local transit infrastructure required for a successful local connection.

I like to think this all stems from our suburban geography, but that's just me.

Perhaps we'll never know... :rolleyes:

This is the first increase in the number of trains probably since I started taking the GO train. And it's only one more in the am, one more in the pm. The Milton line needs a lot more trains than that. Milton could easily support hourly service.

The Milton line needs a lot more trains than that. Milton could easily support hourly service.

You'd think so, eh? Seeing as the Lakeshore East Line which primarily serves Durham residents has hourly, all-day service (for which I am eternally grateful!).

Durham hasn't the serviceable population of the Milton Line.

Lakeshore Line....their crown jewel.

You can guess how I used to get to Pickering from Rexdale and back. (horrible, horrible....191 or 46 from Martin Grove, north of Albion to Kipling Station...then the bus whose route number I can't remember that goes to Long Branch Station..train from there)

So it looks like the extension will have four stations: Acton, Guelph, Breslau and Kitchener.
It seems that there was a PIC#3 on this this project on Tuesday March 24th in Baden. And the proposed layover site is now Nafziger Road in Baden, instead of Ira Needles in Kitchener, which was eliminated because they couldn't get consent from adjacent landowners (which I assume would be Hydro One, given they were going to build underneath the main powerlines coming out of the adjacent very large substation).

What is bizarre here, is that in the previous PIC #2 only a few weeks ago - http://steve.hostovsky.com/14877_PIC_2_kitchener.pdf, there was no PIC#2 in the schedule. Nor was Nafziger Road even under consideration as an alternative layover site! Then when you read the summary of the selection, they note that the Site is well removed from residential areas, even though the photograph of the site, shows new houses adjacent to the facility!

Very odd process. And it appears some local residents are not happy that the first they are heaing about this, their site has been selected, without any previous discussion!

Sometimes the PIC process can feel a lot like one of those TV cooking shows.

You watch with great interest while they appear to be baking a cake.....then they bend down, reach in to the oven and say "there really wasn't time to do this so we baked one in advance"

Yes - though the one they just pulled out seems to be half-baked! I'd think pulling a last-second switch, especially where they note that there is no residential nearby, with an attached airphoto where you can SEE there is brand-new suburb adjacent to the facility, would create the perfect grounds for any local resident to request a bump-up order to an individual EA, thus delaying the process by 2-3 years.

Yes - though the one they just pulled out seems to be half-baked! I'd think pulling a last-second switch, especially where they note that there is no residential nearby, with an attached airphoto where you can SEE there is brand-new suburb adjacent to the facility, would create the perfect grounds for any local resident to request a bump-up order to an individual EA, thus delaying the process by 2-3 years.

Under the regulations the Minister has a half-dozen other options in addition to demanding a full EA. I seriously doubt that it will happen, mainly for political reasons. One of the other options would be pursued before a full EA would ever come into play.

looks like the new stations will have ample parking...

The Kitchener station will have 1100 spots

Under the regulations the Minister has a half-dozen other options in addition to demanding a full EA. I seriously doubt that it will happen, mainly for political reasons. One of the other options would be pursued before a full EA would ever come into play.
Your likely correct - though I'd think if your scoring was faulty, as it appears here, and suddenly your best choice, was now tied with most of your other choices (and was furthest away from the end of the line), that you'd be putting the Ministry in a tough spot. And even if the Minister refused to do a bump-up, that you would be risking someone pushing it to judicial review.

All long-shots ... but I'd those running the process would be trying to close doors in these issues - not opening them.

Here's hoping for bike racks to go online on new routes and better inbound service for Georgetown in the afternoons...

Here's hoping for more trains...

looks like the new stations will have ample parking...

The Kitchener station will have 1100 spots
The interm downtown station (the current VIA Station) will only have 45 spots, of which all seem to be reserved for VIA from what happened at the PIC #2. The Bresleau station (what I would call the outer fringe of K-W) will have the 1100 spots.

I think designing networks where there are central stations with no/little parking combined with less-central stations with lots of parking is a great approach. Best of both worlds.

Back