News   Jul 18, 2024
 391     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 540     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 884     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Well, it may also depend on where said people live--like, Burlington's a more viable option if you live in Westdale than if you live on the Mountain...

I'm curious to know the date of the image. I really want it to be an antiquated plan from 1983 or something like that. Something that has no bearing on today...

The sketch a few months old. It's part of a larger Multi-modal Transportation Terminal. The final plan is to relocate some bus stops from Gore Park to the GO Station and relocate the rest from Gore Park to the MacNab terminal after it's been renovated, suppose to happen this year.

Well, it may also depend on where said people live--like, Burlington's a more viable option if you live in Westdale than if you live on the Mountain...

It might, also, be due to the service differences!!! Hamilton is to Burlington (in GO terms) as Brampton is to Bramalea......not so far that the driive is horrible, the GO fare difference probably pays the cost of the slightly longer drive to the station, there is more "free parking"...and there is a higher degree of trip flexibility (ie. if I have to work late there will still be a train to get me to my car...not a train to a bus to my car).

To whittle it down to just "free parking" is way, way oversimplifying the issue....the life of a commuter does not come down to "where can I park for free".

Hamilton GO train service...

Everyone: I find it interesting that there are just 4 weekday round trips into Hamilton scheduled by GO Rail-I feel that more train trips will be used and needed-perhaps every 2 hours to start off hours.

I feel that Hamilton would definitely support increased Lakeshore GO train service. Providing the one-seat ride would be the key! LI MIKE

Everyone: I find it interesting that there are just 4 weekday round trips into Hamilton scheduled by GO Rail-I feel that more train trips will be used and needed-perhaps every 2 hours to start off hours.

I feel that Hamilton would definitely support increased Lakeshore GO train service. Providing the one-seat ride would be the key! LI MIKE

I don't think anyone disagrees with you. The barrier is Canadian Pacific Rail - the corridor owner.

There is currently not enough demand to have frequent service to Hamilton by train, especially since GO runs a bus every 20-30 minutes all day long which is generally much faster (upwards of 30minutes).

The very fact that there is a bus every 20 minutes screams demand. A train would be more cost effective than a bus, and by current schedules it would be an hour and 10 minutes for an express train and an hour and 20 minutes for a local. The bus is scheduled to take an hour (and it jumps to almost 2 hours in the rush), so it would never be upwards of 30 minutes faster. In fact, the train would be more consistent as it won't have to deal with traffic. Once you electrify the line as planned then we can potentially cut 15 minutes off of the travel time.

Last edited:
GO Transit is still on target to build the $3 million platform at James Street North this year. After that we should see a jump in the number of GO Trains to Hamilton.

New Method for GO Announcing service Improvements....

...on the broadcast of the World Baseball Classic game between USA and Canada, Just before Votto's home run Jamie Campbell told a heart warming story about the player riding the GO Train from Brampton into Toronto for today's game and urged people to greet him at the Brampton GO train station later today!!!!

It would be a lovely story if it were true. GO Train service to Brampton does not run on weekends.

He either:

1. Took a GO Bus (not likely)
2. Took a VIA train (also not likely as there is no obvious way back home)
3. Went down to Mississauga to take a GO Train (again, not likely as you can drive to SkyDome as fast as Port Credit on weekends).
4. Made the story up about the GO train and no one researched it (that is the one I am going with so will not be waiting at the Brampton GO Train station for his return).

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

It might, also, be due to the service differences!!! Hamilton is to Burlington (in GO terms) as Brampton is to Bramalea......not so far that the driive is horrible, the GO fare difference probably pays the cost of the slightly longer drive to the station, there is more "free parking"...and there is a higher degree of trip flexibility (ie. if I have to work late there will still be a train to get me to my car...not a train to a bus to my car).

To whittle it down to just "free parking" is way, way oversimplifying the issue....the life of a commuter does not come down to "where can I park for free".

That sort of builds upon my point, too.

GO adds two trains to Milton line
By: Jeff Wimbush

GO Transit is adding two new trains to the Milton line to help ease congestion on its third busiest corridor.

Currently, it is being serviced by six morning and six evening trains.

During peak periods, more than 80 per cent of the trains carry over 1,500 people. The two new trains are expected to be in service by June. The morning train will arrive at Union Station shortly after 9 a.m. The evening train will leave Toronto just after 5:30 p.m.

There are six Mississauga GO stations on the Milton line: Dixie, Cooksville, Erindale, Streetsville, Meadowvale and Lisgar. Each day, some 27,000 people use the route.

Source

GO adds two trains to Milton line
By: Jeff Wimbush

GO Transit is adding two new trains to the Milton line to help ease congestion on its third busiest corridor.

Currently, it is being serviced by six morning and six evening trains.

During peak periods, more than 80 per cent of the trains carry over 1,500 people. The two new trains are expected to be in service by June. The morning train will arrive at Union Station shortly after 9 a.m. The evening train will leave Toronto just after 5:30 p.m.

There are six Mississauga GO stations on the Milton line: Dixie, Cooksville, Erindale, Streetsville, Meadowvale and Lisgar. Each day, some 27,000 people use the route.

And it would be 2nd busiest corridor if you consider Lakeshore East and West one corridor.

Source

It's about time. And it's still not enough.

Maybe they're factoring in some job loss or telecommuting data that we don't know about. Or maybe there just isn't the money to do much expansion in service (despite the money that seems to be there for surface parking). Or maybe the Ontario and federal governments are afraid of investing money into our neglected-to-the-point-of-third-world rail system and all of the local transit infrastructure required for a successful local connection.

I like to think this all stems from our suburban geography, but that's just me.

Perhaps we'll never know... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Back