News   Jul 17, 2024
 352     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 491     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1K     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

My forehead is already bruised from watching GO's snail's pace in ramping up the Mount Pleasant service.
They added 7 off-peak trains in each direction in September. Based on the April 2015 promises, they should be adding another 2 off-peak trains in each direction by end of the fiscal year (end of March) - presumably in January; along with another rush-hour train in each direction. And then 3 more weekday trains by March 2017 (I'd guess in September 2016 or January 2017), along with 14 weekend trains in each direction.

So there's hope.

A broken switch, I think east of Union, is causing chaos this morning. Almost all lines except Milton appear to be impacted. Lots of cancelled trips. Trains are even reversing direction to let people out at stations.

I am appalled at their excuse this morning over the radio that it was the annual cold weather that is the cause for the broken switches. Have they no
foresight or intelligence to do preventative maintenance or upgrades to ensure that the first cold snap like every year doesnt disable the most critical corridors of the network?
Seriously every year its been like this and they just give the same excuse. whoever is responsible for this (CN or Metrolinx) ought to be fired...but wait....theyre probably protected
by their union.

Word around the shop is that there will be 10 new jobs(for crews) in January and that service to St. Catherines will begin at that time.

St Catharines has been moved up ahead of the evening Mt Pleasant service? Now that is interesting.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

GO Train service to St. Catharines makes little sense at this point in time for several reasons:
  • The Route 12 bus service, connecting to the train at Burlington, is faster than an all-rail route to Toronto, especially since the train crawls through East Hamilton. The QEW moves relatively well there at most times, except when the Skyway is closed due to high winds, or when there's a collision.
  • Without the completion of the station at Confederation, and without the platform/track connection at West Harbour for trains to/from the east, important sub-markets are missed.
  • Other service improvements, such as early evening service and additional day/peak trains on the Kitchener Line, makes more sense.

Although there may be limited need for St.Catherines to Toronto trains, I do think there are a lot of commuters between SC and Hamilton that will take advantage of a new service.

Where? For example Rouge Hill is every 25-30 minutes from 7AM onwards.

You can't just arbitrarily pick a random station and declare that the service frequency. You have to look at the line as a whole, and the key stations that have the most service.

Pickering and Union on the line are the key stations where all trains operate from.

Pickerings morning run is:
06:46 07:06 07:21 07:23 07:36 07:49 07:55 08:05 08:14 08:25

And arriving at Union at:

07:38 07:50 08:08 08:05 08:18 08:42 08:33 08:43 09:10

Which means on the line during rush hour there are services available that are far better than every 30 minutes.

Not every station has the same service level and thats why we use the term "at least xx minutes" when dictating service levels because often times service is much better than that. Its the bare minimum.

With GO RER, we will have service of "at least" every 15 minutes, and at some stations, up to every 3 minutes during peak times.

The St. Catharines service is definitely interesting. I'm assuming those would just be an extension of trips that currently originate/terminate at West Harbour? Or trips that originate/terminate at Aldershot? Or would these be additional trips? It would be nice if a few of the trips that currently terminate at Aldershot could be extended to either West Harbour or Hamilton Centre, but I don't see Hamilton Centre happening anytime soon.

it would be new trips, as they are using new crews. I believe the Lewis yard is designed for 4 trains, so I would imagine 2 additional trips and moving the trains currently stored at West Harbour.

it would be new trips, as they are using new crews. I believe the Lewis yard is designed for 4 trains, so I would imagine 2 additional trips and moving the trains currently stored at West Harbour.

That's definitely good news then. Anybody in the know think that one or more of the current West Harbour trips will be shifted to Hamilton Centre instead, given that there will be a service boost to West Harbour and beyond (even out the increase in service I mean).

Anybody in the know think that one or more of the current West Harbour trips will be shifted to Hamilton Centre instead, given that there will be a service boost to West Harbour and beyond (even out the increase in service I mean).
How do they do that? There's only room to store 4 GO Trains at Hamilton Centre.

How do they do that? There's only room to store 4 GO Trains at Hamilton Centre.

Send the train back as a regular Lakeshore West train (to arrive at Union at either :10 or :40)? Not sure why it necessarily needs to be stored there after completing the trip.

Back