News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 564     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Why not? GO Transit should be used outside the GTHA more to provide local transportation. It's a lower operating cost that VIA (I would assume), why can't they take over local service (e.g. Stratford, Brantford, Port Hope, Belleville, Brockville) from VIA and make VIA express to major centres only (e.g. London, K-W, Aldershot, Toronto, Oshawa, Kingston, Ottawa)?

When did Oshawa get the status of "major"

When did Oshawa get the status of "major"

Why not? GO Transit should be used outside the GTHA more to provide local transportation. It's a lower operating cost that VIA (I would assume), why can't they take over local service (e.g. Stratford, Brantford, Port Hope, Belleville, Brockville) from VIA and make VIA express to major centres only (e.g. London, K-W, Aldershot, Toronto, Oshawa, Kingston, Ottawa)?

Agreed TO. Oshawa is a suburb.

which city/town on your list of "majors" is west GTA?

The study puts a dot on Aldershot. In an ideal world it would be in downtown Hamilton or Burlington, but remember that the 2011 HSR study proposed East and West GTA stations that had easy access to the highway system, as they expected many riders from these stations would be driving/driven.

The study puts a dot on Aldershot. In an ideal world it would be in downtown Hamilton or Burlington, but remember that the 2011 HSR study proposed East and West GTA stations that had easy access to the highway system, as they expected many riders from these stations would be driving/driven.

I am confused....because we are now (i thought) talking about the idea of where to place VIA service if GO took over the short run stuff....not HSR.

I am confused....because we are now (i thought) talking about the idea of where to place VIA service if GO took over the short run stuff....not HSR.

Well when is HSR gonna happen? I feel like we might just continue to study it to death. But I thought it was understood that VIA Corridor service would be replaced by HSR. And in fact, if we are talking about reducing stops that VIA serves, we are talking about reducing travel times and therefore a high(er) speed service. So I consider it all one discussion.

none of those were on the list discussed....but, strangely, Oshawa was a "major"

Only because you can catch the GO from Mississauga and Oakville to connect with your VIA train. Just as you should be able to catch the GO in Ajax to connect to VIA in Oshawa, or Burlington to Aldershot, or (as I proposed) Port Hope to Kingston, or Stratford to K-W.

As for Milton...what?! They don't even have VIA service. Getting more GO service there is just another can of worms.

Kingston mayoral candidate proposes GO extension to Kingston
http://www.thewhig.com/2014/08/28/downes-proposes-kingston-to-toronto-go-train
VIA from Kingston to Toronto is probably the best inter-city service in Canada. With most of the Montreal and Ottawa trains stopping there, there's about 10 departures a day from Kingston to Toronto, taking just over 2 hours. The one weekday train that does the milk run takes closer to 3 hours, and I'd think would be well over 3 hours if it started stopping places like Danforth and Rouge Hill.

I can't see the desire for those in Kingston to use GO over VIA.

VIA from Kingston to Toronto is probably the best inter-city service in Canada. With most of the Montreal and Ottawa trains stopping there, there's about 10 departures a day from Kingston to Toronto, taking just over 2 hours. The one weekday train that does the milk run takes closer to 3 hours, and I'd think would be well over 3 hours if it started stopping places like Danforth and Rouge Hill.

I can't see the desire for those in Kingston to use GO over VIA.

What about those living on the milk run (east of Oshawa) wanting to travel to Kingston for a lower price? Or vice-versa?

Only because you can catch the GO from Mississauga and Oakville to connect with your VIA train. Just as you should be able to catch the GO in Ajax to connect to VIA in Oshawa, or Burlington to Aldershot, or (as I proposed) Port Hope to Kingston, or Stratford to K-W.

As for Milton...what?! They don't even have VIA service. Getting more GO service there is just another can of worms.

Okay...sorry, I thought there was GO service to Oshawa.

What about those living on the milk run (east of Oshawa) wanting to travel to Kingston for a lower price? Or vice-versa?
People in places like Port Hope? Belleville?

Is there really the demand? When I've ridden the local stopping service to Kingston in PM peak (which I admit I haven't done in yeas), I've seen people getting off at these stops - but only a handful getting on. We're supposed to run an extra service like this, just to save people a few $?

It would be cheaper to subsidize VIA to reduce fares for these stations.

Back