News   Apr 24, 2024
 870     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 599     0 

GO Transit Fleet Equipment and other

^There is a report out there that one of the new locos was sent back to the factory for wotk.

- Paul

Anyone else find it odd that the new locomotive right behind the GEVOs? Aren't they usually in the middle or at the end of the train?

Um, no. Much more likely a deadheaded loco will be on the head end than mid consist. For several reasons - one, weight and train handling impacts; two, allows more TLC and security en route; three, braking compatibility and control.

- Paul

Always interesting to see Caltrains articles given the potential similarities with electrified GO Expansion.

Given that diesel FLIRTs are now operating in Texas here...Whats the chance we see something like this operating on GO in the future? Could be arranged very similar to how DD EMUs would be operated but wouldn't require the infrastructure. FLIRTs can also be fairly easily converted to pantograph operation.

I guess I am just curious if something like this (in 12 car sets) operating more frequently would be able to meet the demand on something like the LSE? You'd think the headway could be tighter given the fast accel and decel.
I'd say pretty good. But by Private Investment. And Private Investment infers 'consortium' and that infers sole contracting for rolling stock, which infers a company like Stadler (or Siemens or Alstom) being part of the consortium. As much as it appears to defeat the ostensible advantages of open sourcing, the latter is often a race to the bottom, not the top.

The FLIRTs have an excellent reputation. We'll know a lot more on 'the state of things' in a few months.

Addendum: The diesel powered one in that vid appears to be a laggard for acceleration. These are DEMUs of course, so with the electric module in place of the diesel one, performance is radically better.

Last edited:
I'd say pretty good. But by Private Investment. And Private Investment infers 'consortium' and that infers sole contracting for rolling stock, which infers a company like Stadler (or Siemens or Alstom) being part of the consortium. As much as it appears to defeat the ostensible advantages of open sourcing, the latter is often a race to the bottom, not the top.

The FLIRTs have an excellent reputation. We'll know a lot more on 'the state of things' in a few months.

Addendum: The diesel powered one in that vid appears to be a laggard for acceleration. These are DEMUs of course, so with the electric module in place of the diesel one, performance is radically better.

i read that only 3 of the bogies are actually powered. is that true for this set? that could explain the slow acceleration for diesel. In contrast, I remember the acceleration on the 28/32 powered bogie N700 EMUs were really quick for a 16 car formation.

Given that diesel FLIRTs are now operating in Texas here:

Whats the chance we see something like this operating on GO in the future? Could be arranged very similar to how DD EMUs would be operated but wouldn't require the infrastructure. FLIRTs can also be fairly easily converted to pantograph operation.

I guess I am just curious if something like this (in 12 car sets) operating more frequently would be able to meet the demand on something like the LSE? You'd think the headway could be tighter given the fast accel and decel.

Under the current operating sphere - not going to happen. The FLIRTs are operating under a waiver and can not be used in mixed traffic with other railway equipment. Operating them here would preclude the use of the tracks by VIA or freights.

i read that only 3 of the bogies are actually powered. is that true for this set? that could explain the slow acceleration for diesel. In contrast, I remember the acceleration on the 28/32 powered bogie N700 EMUs were really quick for a 16 car formation.

It's actually only 2 of the trucks - the outer two. The rest of the trucks are unpowered trailer trucks.

Dan

Under the current operating sphere - not going to happen. The FLIRTs are operating under a waiver and can not be used in mixed traffic with other railway equipment. Operating them here would preclude the use of the tracks by VIA or freights.

It's actually only 2 of the trucks - the outer two. The rest of the trucks are unpowered trailer trucks.

Dan

Really.....seems quite underwhelming to call a 2/8 powered bogie train a MU....one would expect at least 1/2 the bogies to be powered for MU

Given that diesel FLIRTs are now operating in Texas here:

Whats the chance we see something like this operating on GO in the future? Could be arranged very similar to how DD EMUs would be operated but wouldn't require the infrastructure. FLIRTs can also be fairly easily converted to pantograph operation.

Ive always said some DMU's on the Richmond Hill line would make sense for all day operation, since metrolinx doesnt want to electrify the line (the issue is the flood mitigation issues, but they could use a set of DMU's until that was resolved)

Ive always said some DMU's on the Richmond Hill line would make sense for all day operation, since metrolinx doesnt want to electrify the line (the issue is the flood mitigation issues, but they could use a set of DMU's until that was resolved)
Ive been wishing for this for a long time. Even hourly service during the day will add considerable ridership, especially now since they are building a grand central terminal at bloomington. If only they would have the spine to develop a station
on Eglinton that would be ideal.

Back