News   Apr 19, 2024
 30     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 397     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 640     1 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

@crs1026 Please re-read my post, I made edits of some accidental errors before you made your post.

I doublechecked my math, and had already made corrections.
Once rereading, please update your post (as my 30 feet error only peristed briefly).

Last edited:
@crs1026 Please re-read my post, I made edits of some accidental errors before you made your post.
I doublechecked my math, and had already made corrections. Once rereading, please update your post.

Duly noted, and I was relying on the “preferred” spec which is more generous than the minimum Plate spec which you cited. Both come from the same source document.

I’m not saying it can’t be done....but... those bilevels sway enough on gentle gradients. And, for the crew, they would be rolling blind into a tunnel with zero forward visibility with their train gaining momentum as it descends. That would require some careful train handling.

It’s a squeaker ;-)

- Paul

I think the Google Earth elevation gizmo shows a slight rise in elevation along that 729 feet. If that is real, it could make a difference.

To keep in mind....

The steepest track on the GO network in revenue service is the Flyunder west of Union about a shade over 2.1%. Until the F59s were introduced, 10-car trains were forbidden from stopping in it due to the inability for the train to get restarted on the grades.

Also: Scarborough Station is also on a grade, over 0.4% running downhill towards Danforth. This means that in those same 730-some-odd feet that Metrolinx is having the track for the Uxbridge Sub drop underneath, it is gaining 3 additional feet in elevation, which while is not a huge number does still help with the total clearance needed. If they move the station a little to the west and add another couple of feet of height to the Kingston Sub where the Uxbridge Sub crosses underneath, they may give them enough breathing room to not cause the trains to break a sweat.

Dan

Was reading Steve's blog today when he reminded me about the recent Metrolinx infrastructure report from a few pages back.

Interested in the Wellington level crossing specifically. I live around it, and it's a particularly nasty section of road: steep approach, narrow road (one each way plus turning lane), practically no right-of-way left on either side of the road. To make it worse, it's one of the main thoroughfares of the town. Looks like they're planning to flatten out the hill.

The detour route suggested during the work period is probably going to be continuously congested for the entirety of construction.

Also not very sure where they'll put the diversion track. It's a really narrow rail right-of-way as well, especially around the current level crossing. And they already need to put the second track in.

Last edited:
Saw that the 2nd tracks (non platform) next to Guelph Central have been dug up and the earth striped. Looks like Metrolinx is getting ready to relay the tracks in advance of the 2nd platform.
29470F1C-621E-4CDE-A5E9-29881E1D9C56.jpeg
B63117DE-B742-469C-9940-1ACB3146F3DD.jpeg

Saw that the 2nd tracks (non platform) next to Guelph Central have been dug up and the earth striped. Looks like Metrolinx is getting ready to relay the tracks in advance of the 2nd platform. View attachment 232305View attachment 232306

Part of the program planned for this year for the line is the rebuilding of the siding at the station into a full-blown second mainline, with signalized access to it at both ends. And yes, there will be platform access to both tracks.

Dan

Part of the program planned for this year for the line is the rebuilding of the siding at the station into a full-blown second mainline, with signalized access to it at both ends. And yes, there will be platform access to both tracks.

Dan
B51879FD-F3C8-47B8-8884-AB06897214E0.jpeg

(Photo credit to Disney overlords)

Will a second span be built over the Speed River? And 2 tracks to extend through the slow zone west of the station?

Last edited:
REALLY surprised nobody has posted this diagram of the Beach Layover mentioned at the Feb 5 Town Hall and released in one of the recent dumps! A big electrified yard just west of Burlington and East of the CN cut in!

Duly noted, but it's just at the TPAP stage. Prudent of ML to bank the land for whenever electrification takes off. It will be interesting to hear if there is more detail at the upcoming open houses.

The interesting thing is - count the number of tracks (14 plus a 2-track running repair facility) and measure the length of the tracks (A 12-car consist just fits).

Ten minute headways with an hour trip to Oshawa requires 6 trains an hour, so the yard would hold about two hours' worth of peak service trains if a peak service train is a 12-car EMU set. Quite sufficient, presuming there is similar capacity at the other end of the line to feed trains westward.

The stub tracks, and the lack of a heavy repair facility, suggests that this is just a high volume layover yard with some running repair capability.

- Paul

The picture in the Star article about the blockade also shows the latest from the third track addition to the Bayview Junction. Doesn't look like that much progress since previous pictures here.

1582644444580.png

The picture in the Star article about the blockade also shows the latest from the third track addition to the Bayview Junction. Doesn't look like that much progress since previous pictures here.

View attachment 233161
Time to charge these folks with trespassing. This is not their land since they gave it up. By the look of things, 13 people stopping a few hundred rides getting to from where they want to go by rail. Then there is the movement of goods. If any of use try this, we would be remove in matter of minutes or an hour.

Not in support of the pipe line, but this is out of hand now.

Without getting politically sidetracked; the persons in Hamilton, on that particular rail corridor are not protesting about; nor asserting any applicable land claim at that location.

The protest is specific to police action in Eastern Ontario removing the other blockade (enforcing a legal injunction).

The above really isn't in dispute, and therefore ought not to mire this thread in off-topic discussion.

I will avoid getting into the weeds on the broader subject.

Back