News   Apr 25, 2024
 25     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 326     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 635     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Some good progress on the 401/409 tunnel on the Kitchener Line:

5C7CBD82-DA85-4933-AD7C-304A045E3AF8.jpeg

8C29BEA8-E11A-4368-82F8-3AE5381E604D.jpeg

I was out walking today, as one is won't to do both when the weather is lovely and there isn't anything else to do anyway!

In the course of said walk, I spent some time on the Leaside Spur/Don Mills Trail, where it runs alongside the Bala Sub.

There was an ongoing project in the rail corridor, but I wasn't sure what.

Thought someone might know, @smallspy, @crs1026

1585517963897.png

Hard to get a clear shot of the area itself, lots of junk, equipment and vegetation in the way.

The mainline track looked untouched, but like there had been lots of clearing to its immediate west.

Last edited:
I was out walking today, as one is won't to do both when the weather is lovely and there isn't anything else to do anyway!

In the course of said walk, I spent some time on the Leaside Spur/Don Mills Trail, where it runs alongside the Bala Sub.

There was an ongoing project in the rail corridor, but I wasn't sure what.

Thought someone might know, @smallspy, @crs1026

View attachment 238702

Hard to get a clear shot of the area itself, lots of junk, equipment and vegetation in the way.

The mainline track looked untouched, but like there had been lots of clearing to its immediate west.

Not a specific program per se, but rather just the usual ongoing programme of tie changeouts as needed.

As the weather gets better in the late winter or early spring (or late spring, depending on where in Canada you are), the railroads have historically ramped up their tie and ballast changeout programmes in order to catch up on the the winter months, when it is much harder to do so due to frozen ballast.

As for the clearing, that may have to do with Transport Canada's new sightline guidelines, coupled with some TC roving inspectors hanging out in the Toronto area in the winter.

Dan

Not a specific program per se, but rather just the usual ongoing programme of tie changeouts as needed.

As the weather gets better in the late winter or early spring (or late spring, depending on where in Canada you are), the railroads have historically ramped up their tie and ballast changeout programmes in order to catch up on the the winter months, when it is much harder to do so due to frozen ballast.

As for the clearing, that may have to do with Transport Canada's new sightline guidelines, coupled with some TC roving inspectors hanging out in the Toronto area in the winter.

Dan

Thanks, Dan.

I was surprised the corridor was so wide there; though I guess it used to accommodate the Leaside Spur merging in.

Looks wide enough for at least 3 tracks, not including the space the rail trail is on.

Indeed you can see the footprint of 3 tracks on the north side of the bridge, and some spare room.

Thanks, Dan.

I was surprised the corridor was so wide there; though I guess it used to accommodate the Leaside Spur merging in.

Looks wide enough for at least 3 tracks, not including the space the rail trail is on.

Indeed you can see the footprint of 3 tracks on the north side of the bridge, and some spare room.

It used to be even wider than that.

Not only did you have the Leaside Spur branching off there, but there also used to be a little 4 or 5 track yard located there as well, located to the west of the Bala Sub. There was also a little station building to the east, immediately south of York Mills, until the late 1970s I think?

Quite a bit of the property occupied by the yard was sold off to the City at the same time as the sale of the Leaside Spur. CN still retained some of it, which is why that section seems to be so wide.

Dan

RFI-2020-RERD-052 - RFI-2020-RERD-052: Platform Warning System

Metrolinx is accepting Requests for Information (RFI) for Platform Warning System

Metrolinx is a crown agency of the Government of Ontario and oversees GO Transit, Union Pearson Express (UPE), Rapid Transit Implementation (RTI) and PRESTO . The organization’s goal is to create a transportation network that enhances the prosperity, sustainability and quality of life for the Greater Toronto and Hamilton areas.

GO Stations provides immediate, barrier free access to commuters boarding trains from the platform which comes with the risk of passengers coming into contact with moving rail equipment at stations.

The use of the on-train bell is currently mandated in Rule 13 of the Canadian Rail Operating Rules (CROR) by Transport Canada (TC). The purpose of the bell is to warn the public of trains passing at GO station platforms and other locations. As train traffic increases, other methods of warnings are needed to mitigate safety risk to the public.

If an equivalent alternative could be found, Metrolinx could consider requesting an exception from CROR Rule 13 at stations where the bell poses the noise issues to the local residents.

Metrolinx is seeking technology solutions for detecting and warning passengers of trains, especially high-speed trains, approaching station platforms. Metrolinx requires the warning to be both via visual and audible as per AODA requirements.

^ any examples of this in other jurisdictions?

It may not meet TC standards, but even the smallest station on UK rail lines have automated voice announcements that trigger whenever a train approaches the platform...whether the train is stopping, or not. I’m pretty sure I have seen similar in both Italy and France.

There are also plenty of level crossings in North America where the whistle is part of the crossing gate infrastructure, eliminating the need for trains to blow for crossings. This keeps the sound energy closer to the crossing (where it is most needed) and allows a quieter device than the train whistle. Same approach can be used at platforms, with something quieter than a crossing whistle.

- Paul

Finally got around to checking out the work Metrolinx has done along the "street running" section in Guelph on this sunny work free week day. Starting from railway @Yorkshire and heading east here are some photographs of the much needed upgrades. I did not walk along the railway if anyone is wondering! Seeing the improvements after GXER's neglect is very welcoming.

The last few are from the building just south of the station. Looks like renovations are going on with removal of bush and windows being boarded up. I personally think the building should be demolished. So a more usable (and modern) facility that aligns with the future 2nd platform can be built. Anyone have better details to share?
n%fqB3ezS+q27nfqQv1Pgw.jpg
G5yG41p5Q%mfaRfqFK1hKg.jpg
gLec6ryCQ2KKpTA5+IKsvw.jpg
4Ujsc07wTzmkLTTJlzTKoQ.jpg
sN78++MvQfu8lO9T+V8TWQ.jpg
IXegjhWORIaKgiUi3RQ7eg.jpg
A+ELiuGyQkyjznFAYuvQ3A.jpg
k8zIdj7TTOeZbEYJC+9bPA.jpg
c422Q3HIRAWqxGlNeBecyQ.jpg

Finally got around to checking out the work Metrolinx has done along the "street running" section in Guelph on this sunny work free week day. Starting from railway @Yorkshire and heading east here are some photographs of the much needed upgrades. I did not walk along the railway if anyone is wondering! Seeing the improvements after GXER's neglect is very welcoming.

The last few are from the building just south of the station. Looks like renovations are going on with removal of bush and windows being boarded up. I personally think the building should be demolished. So a more usable (and modern) facility that aligns with the future 2nd platform can be built. Anyone have better details to share?View attachment 239311View attachment 239312View attachment 239313View attachment 239314View attachment 239315View attachment 239316View attachment 239317View attachment 239318View attachment 239319

Great shots! Did you happen to get any of the new 2nd passing track at Guelph Central itself? I know they’ve been working hard on it the past few days.

Back