News   Jul 29, 2024
 677     1 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 443     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 634     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

I think they've started to remove some shrubs and trees on the east side of the existing track. I might be out there in a few days so could take some pictures.
Lots of love here for the Barrie line double tracking, but I never hear/see pics of the Stouffville line double tracking. Is it just not far enough along?

Btw this whole double tracking ordeal takes way too long. I don't see electrification being done for 2025 at this pace.

I can as well in may.

Lots of love here for the Barrie line double tracking, but I never hear/see pics of the Stouffville line double tracking. Is it just not far enough along?

Btw this whole double tracking ordeal takes way too long. I don't see electrification being done for 2025 at this pace.

Don't have any pictures but I drive by there every day. They have basically 'carved' out the space for the second track (east side) between Steeles down to Sheppard). I believe they are adding walls to some of the sections as well. No sign of any tracks being laid yet.

And given that we averaged 75 mph (121 km/h) from Langstaff to Rivermede, this evidently confirms that they did indeed keep speed limit at 75 mph - the tight curves we saw near the Don River bridge were purely temporary during construction.
Whoa! I watched the vid, and besides the bleak terrain that time of year, I was amazed at the clip the train was moving at. My immediate thought: "Why would anyone want to sit on a subway from Richmond Hill (as is being projected) when RER gets you there this fast?". That track was very smooth and consistent too.
Also worth noting is the acceleration of this 6-car MP40 train: it does 0-100 km/h in about 60 seconds! The difference in performance between the 6-car trains and the 10- or 12-car trains is simply night and day.
I can believe it! One can also flip that around and imagine what's still left in the F59s dragging a three bi-level consist. I note a few comments as to (gist) "no sign of electrification"...and I watch the Georgetown Corridor out my window as I type...and can't help but think: You don't have to wait for electrification to get the Bramalea to Union leg of RER up and running". F59s, instead of retiring them, can be used to drag three car consists on a frequent basis with excellent acceleration and braking times. Use them until the electrification arrives...whenever.

That vid was inspiring...

Whoa! I watched the vid, and besides the bleak terrain that time of year, I was amazed at the clip the train was moving at. My immediate thought: "Why would anyone want to sit on a subway from Richmond Hill (as is being projected) when RER gets you there this fast?".

I often have the same thoughts about the Scarborough transit debate. The councillors are fighting so hard for a pitiful one-stop subway extension, meanwhile there are two GO lines and 8 stations in Scarborough that can get you downtown at twice the speed and comfort. It just needs a better fare system, but the best solution for Scarborough residents is right in front of us and they don't even realize it. It's so unfortunate.

just that part makes me smile.

Wife and I were up looking at a house in King City......she liked the house and said "but I guess living this far away in such a small town means poorer access to the city"......when I told here about the 10 return trips on a Sunday by train she really thought I was joking! Funny how trained we become to lack of service.

Indeed, GO Transit's marketing folks have their work cut out for them. I've even met industry professionals who didn't know about the Kitchener midday service or Barrie weekend service - they knew about the plan for all-day service on those lines (and Stouffville), but didn't know it had already started happening.

We don't have time to let people discover the new train services through word-of-mouth. With a Conservative government likely arriving in 2018 we need to get bums in seats as soon as possible.

We don't have time to let people discover the new train services through word-of-mouth.
They hyped the heck out of UPX, and it worked, the fare drop being the clincher, but it was far more than just "word of mouth". My first thought to your post was cynical: "It won't work"....except UPX proves the opposite.

With a Conservative government likely arriving in 2018 we need to get bums in seats as soon as possible.
Due to a confluence of a number of events, I'm actually now feeling that Wynne can defy the odds and win, but she's sure got her work cut out for her. If she plays her cards right, and the Infrastructure Bank will play a huge part on this, she can promise a whole new optimistic approach to accelerate the improvements already promised and more, albeit a good part of that will be the Missing Link. That's a Metrolinx lead project, and McCuaig is now the InfraBank's 'Transportation Advisor' (effectively a deputy CEO)...and if the batteries work on this thing...you can start connecting the dots. Wynne has a year to pull this off, the InfraBank should be functional in six months or so, it's going to be tight, but I think she has a good chance. Two weeks ago, I wouldn't have thought that.

She's has a hand to play that I'd still by cynical on, save that all she has to do to win is do something smart, the others are such unsavoury choices. And smart is Transit.

Last edited:
They hyped the heck out of UPX, and it worked, the fare drop being the clincher, but it was far more than just "word of mouth". My first thought to your post was cynical: "It won't work"....except UPX proves the opposite.

Due to a confluence of a number of events, I'm actually now feeling that Wynne can defy the odds and win, but she's sure got her work cut out for her. If she plays her cards right, and the Infrastructure Bank will play a huge part on this, she can promise a whole new optimistic approach to accelerate the improvements already promised and more, albeit a good part of that will be the Missing Link. That's a Metrolinx lead project, and McCuaig is now the InfraBank's 'Transportation Advisor' (effectively a deputy CEO)...and if the batteries work on this thing...you can start connecting the dots. Wynne has a year to pull this off, the InfraBank should be functional in six months or so, it's going to be tight, but I think she has a good chance. Two weeks ago, I wouldn't have thought that.

She's has a hand to play that I'd still by cynical on, save that all she has to do to win is do something smart, the others are such unsavoury choices. And smart is Transit.

It is no coincidence that the Liberals did all the unpopular stuff like sell Hydro One in the first 2 years of this term, and now they are suddenly listening to public for the remaining two years. They are counting on voters having short term memory. If they can actually balance their budget this year and next, they definitely should not be counted out. That, and neither the NDP or the PCs have been making much waves to gain the public's attention (a real failure on their part really).

The Stouffville Line double-tracking is a more complex project as the corridor is more constrained than the Barrie Line up to the north, and so there are more steps that need to be done. Right now they've got the sub-roadbed in place from Kennedy Rd. to Agincourt Station, and are in the process of installing the sound walls. To the south, all that has been done is grubbing the property - the real construction starts in the next couple of weeks or so. They've been working on getting the signalling system ready to install, but that's still a ways off.

Don't expect to see any real improvements in Stouffville service - except for some off-peak services - for a good couple of years.

I too am surprised at the slow pace, particularly of the work on the Barrie Line. I know that working along active rail corridors is tricky at the best of times, but it just seems to me that it should have progressed further along than it has (or frankly, should have been done by now).

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The Stouffville Line double-tracking is a more complex project as the corridor is more constrained than the Barrie Line up to the north, and so there are more steps that need to be done. Right now they've got the sub-roadbed in place from Kennedy Rd. to Agincourt Station, and are in the process of installing the sound walls. To the south, all that has been done is grubbing the property - the real construction starts in the next couple of weeks or so. They've been working on getting the signalling system ready to install, but that's still a ways off.

Don't expect to see any real improvements in Stouffville service - except for some off-peak services - for a good couple of years.

I too am surprised at the slow pace, particularly of the work on the Barrie Line. I know that working along active rail corridors is tricky at the best of times, but it just seems to me that it should have progressed further along than it has (or frankly, should have been done by now).

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
I see what you're talking about. Looks to be tight between Centennial and Mt Joy. I hope they finish Stouffville off peak before 2020.

I see what you're talking about. Looks to be tight between Centennial and Mt Joy. I hope they finish Stouffville off peak before 2020.

It's not just there - the whole of the corridor all the way down to Scarborough Junction is for the most part only about 35 feet wide or so. That means that if you want to have sound walls along it - as GO/Metrolinx does - you need to install them before you can go onto the next step of building track or re-aligning the one that is there already.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

It's not just there - the whole of the corridor all the way down to Scarborough Junction is for the most part only about 35 feet wide or so. That means that if you want to have sound walls along it - as GO/Metrolinx does - you need to install them before you can go onto the next step of building track or re-aligning the one that is there already.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
I'm guessing the sound walls were a request of markham residents.

Back