News   Jul 30, 2024
 50     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 710     1 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 528     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Some little tidbits I've gleaned lately;

- Probably been posted elsewhere before but in any case the East maintenance facility confirmed to be going "live" i.e. fully operational as of January 1, 2018.

- Bombardier has absolutely no intention of giving up the UP contract to TTC or anyone else for that matter. So all this talk about the TTC taking it over is just that, talk and nothing more.

- So far only one throttle class is confirmed for this year, we're going to need a lot more than that! But at least they are planning to hire 50 more CSA's.

- A new crew facility is planned for Willowbrook(about DAMN TIME!) Unfortunately the completion date is projected to be 2020, meaning it will really be finished in 2022 or 2023 :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Thank you Vegeta!

With luck, The next GO board service change for May or June along with Burlington Transit, will see buses returning to the south side new bus loop for Burlington GO Station. All the concrete has been pour with a small section of the parking lot waiting paving.

As when the east entrance can open depends on the insulation of the missing section of steel roof. The east entrance could open for the AM morning service and close until crews go home and reopen then.

The one thing I just have learn, when the new west section open, someone forgot to install the computer system and some electrical service and why customer service didn't move then.

Well photographing the station, I was asked by various people if I knew when the station would open and said it looks like June to the point they started laughing. "We been waiting 4 years already and will believe the open date once they see it open was their reply". I was talking to a representative of Metrolinx in Oakville about Burlington after stating I just came from it who wanted to know how long was it being under construction as well an opening date. He laugh when I told how long it was, as well when it may open. He said it may the the employees of Metrolinx look bad and held in poor standards over these types of projects when they have no control over them in the first place.

As a note: Condo tower one at 20 story next door is top off as well the 10 story one and working on the 5th floor of tower 2. This project started about 18 months after Burlington GO station started. Go figure.

Pedestrian tunnel concrete forms have arrived at Maple Station. Will be going in in two weeks.

IMG_20170408_170101.jpg
IMG_20170408_170108.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170408_170101.jpg
    IMG_20170408_170101.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 280
  • IMG_20170408_170108.jpg
    IMG_20170408_170108.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 313
- So far only one throttle class is confirmed for this year, we're going to need a lot more than that! But at least they are planning to hire 50 more CSA's.

They're already half-way through the second class of 10, so if nothing else they seem to be well along the way in meeting this goal.

There does seem to be a LOT of overtime available of late, however.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Was up in Newmarket today and surprise to see that curve platform for the first time. Have only seen a few other elsewhere like this.

The fresh battery in the video camera decided not to work, that I miss catching the southbound train that was 10 minutes late. F59PH 562 was on point of the short train.

If or when time comes to double track the line, there are 3 option for the station. One, you use a side platform for the west side; 2, you use a centre platform. Both cases will require buying property for it.

The 3rd option is move it to where the old train station is using a centre platform, but you will have a small curve to the south. It will require buying the lot east of the station to build a parking structure and the entrance/exit would line up with the existing traffic lights there.

Seeing the new Gormley GO station for the first time, this station really show how bad Burlington is. They have built this new station from empty lands and open it in a shorter time frame compare to Burlington.

Talk about a station being out in the boondocks is a understatement, as there is only farm land around it.

Photos to follow.

Slight Barrie Line double-tracking update: Here's a shot looking out the window from a weekend GO train southbound from Rutherford to Rivermede. Unfortunately my camera died before we reached the part I was actually trying to film - the 407 bridge and Snider overpass that you can't see from public areas. Anyway, those parts still had a ways to go, there were some tracks sitting around, but not much installed yet.

Also worth noting is the acceleration of this 6-car MP40 train: it does 0-100 km/h in about 60 seconds! The difference in performance between the 6-car trains and the 10- or 12-car trains is simply night and day. And given that we averaged 75 mph (121 km/h) from Langstaff to Rivermede, this evidently confirms that they did indeed keep speed limit at 75 mph - the tight curves we saw near the Don River bridge were purely temporary during construction.

Also, pedestrian tunnel parts waiting to be installed at Maple Station:
DSC_0561.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0561.JPG
    DSC_0561.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 274
Last edited:
Was up in Newmarket today and surprise to see that curve platform for the first time. Have only seen a few other elsewhere like this.

The fresh battery in the video camera decided not to work, that I miss catching the southbound train that was 10 minutes late. F59PH 562 was on point of the short train.

If or when time comes to double track the line, there are 3 option for the station. One, you use a side platform for the west side; 2, you use a centre platform. Both cases will require buying property for it.

The 3rd option is move it to where the old train station is using a centre platform, but you will have a small curve to the south. It will require buying the lot east of the station to build a parking structure and the entrance/exit would line up with the existing traffic lights there.

Seeing the new Gormley GO station for the first time, this station really show how bad Burlington is. They have built this new station from empty lands and open it in a shorter time frame compare to Burlington.

Talk about a station being out in the boondocks is a understatement, as there is only farm land around it.

Photos to follow.
What do you think will happen with Newmarket station? Looks like just hourly service for now.

Here's a shot looking out the window from weekend GO train

just that part makes me smile.

Wife and I were up looking at a house in King City......she liked the house and said "but I guess living this far away in such a small town means poorer access to the city"......when I told here about the 10 return trips on a Sunday by train she really thought I was joking! Funny how trained we become to lack of service.

What do you think will happen with Newmarket station? Looks like just hourly service for now.
If its to see 60 minute service, you leave it as is, but will it remain that way in the long run??

I would go with option 3 even for hourly, as it will deal with the issue of sight line on the platform that takes place today. You can fix the existing station up built in 1899 as a GO station

If its to see 60 minute service, you leave it as is, but will it remain that way in the long run??

I would go with option 3 even for hourly, as it will deal with the issue of sight line on the platform that takes place today. You can fix the existing station up built in 1899 as a GO station
That place used to have a second track as well. I think they should go back to 1/2 hourly at Newmarket, imo.

Slight Barrie Line double-tracking update: Here's a shot looking out the window from weekend GO train southbound from Rutherford to Rivermede. Unfortunately my camera died before we reached the part I was actually trying to film - the 407 bridge and Snider overpass that you can't see from public areas. Anyway, those parts still had a ways to go, there were some tracks sitting around, but not much installed yet.

I'm not sure why, but other than the level crossing at Rivermede they are waiting for the majority of the signalling equipment to be installed before finishing up what's left of the trackwork. (I say other than Rivermede, because none of my contacts at PNR seem to have any idea why it hasn't been done yet.) The three interlocking plants - Steeles, Snider North and Concord - should all be almost completely installed by the end of May. The trackwork can then be completed, and they're looking at having the track in service for the beginning of September.

Also worth noting is the acceleration of this 6-car MP40 train: it does 0-100 km/h in about 60 seconds! The difference in performance between the 6-car trains and the 10- or 12-car trains is simply night and day. And given that we averaged 75 mph (121 km/h) from Langstaff to Rivermede, this evidently confirms that they did indeed keep speed limit at 75 mph - the tight curves we saw near the Don River bridge were purely temporary during construction.

In fairness, the line is also downhill from Rutherford to almost the 407. I don't have an exact profile/gradient, but my older maps show a drop of 38 feet from Langstaff Rd. to Highway 7 - about a mile and a quarter.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Lots of love here for the Barrie line double tracking, but I never hear/see pics of the Stouffville line double tracking. Is it just not far enough along?

Btw this whole double tracking ordeal takes way too long. I don't see electrification being done for 2025 at this pace.

I think they've started to remove some shrubs and trees on the east side of the existing track. I might be out there in a few days so could take some pictures.

Back