News   Jul 30, 2024
 50     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 710     1 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 529     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Has the ground cover on the north side been planted? Has there been any ground cover established? IIRC completion was fairly late in the season last year. That being the case, it probably looks pretty ugly right now, between spring thaw and runoff. One would expect some settling....so long as that's all it is, no need to worry. Gravity is our friend. Water below ground, on the other hand, is something that civil engineers don't trifle with.

- Paul

It looked like sod mats had been rolled down, but obviously hadn't had enough time to root.

I don't doubt this station will attract riders - people living in Aurora and elsewhere in northern York Region could choose to park here instead of at Newmarket or Aurora -- it's right off Highway 404, just like Gormley to the south -- but this is also on the Greenbelt and the Oak Ridges Moraine. Not the type of place where development is likely to follow, or at least should go,

It will forever be dependent on auto access, and maybe a few YRT or GO buses to points further north. It's an example of the worst of GO Transit's mentality.

April 07

I am going to go out on the limb and say that Metrolinx bought the lot on the North-East Corner of Main St and Nelson St E for a new Parking lot. It has been up for sales for a number of years with a condo proposed for the site, but never got off the ground like the other in the area. Its right across the street to the GO Station in Brampton.

Somebody explained the size. That explanation made sense. @Megaton327 was that you?

Bloomington? Yup. Will copy and paste here again--I think this might be the third time in this thread, somebody seems to discover and become outraged by Bloomington GO every month or two xD

"It's too big and fancy" was also my initial reaction but there is a very good reason for it: it's located right next to Highway 404. Long-term, the traffic on the 404 is just going to get worse as the northern areas along it become more populated, and as future extensions are built around Lake Simcoe.

I think that the government wants the station there so that rush hour commuters who get on the 404 up north get off it at Bloomington and switch to the train for the rest of their journey, releasing capacity for people further south on the highway into downtown. This is very forward-thinking and I think it will likely prove to have been a very wise decision somewhere approaching 2030.

The proof of this attitude is in those signs that were piloted on the QEW to try to entice people to get off at Burlington/Appleby/Bronte/Oakville instead of continuing downtown by car. I think you'll start to see planning and initiatives like this as our highways get expanded and the communities along them continue to grow and grow.

As for the cost, the station is almost entirely a parking garage, a massive one at that--those are expensive. Doing a very quick google search, Oakville's parking garage cost ~$41M completed in 2012, and according to the MTO Gormley GO station cost $22M having only a large surface lot and no garage. If you adjust the Oakville garage cost for inflation and consider that this is an entire station not just an add-on garage/compare it loosely to Gormley+Oakville, $70M seems almost exactly right, and reasonable for the scope of the project.

Why does there have to be a garage here instead of a surface lot only like Gormley? This site is constrained between the rail corridor, highway onramp, and geography of the area/site conditions, preventing a large sprawling surface lot. The garage allows ~750 spaces (vs ~250 in the surface lot next to the garage) to exist in the smaller space available, and more importantly, can be expanded in the future by adding more levels (GO has previously stated, e.g. at Burlington, that garages can be expanded upwards given future demand). Also, Covered garages/an indoor station accessed from the garage are also much more appealing in rain, and especially in snow, which is important if we want to entice people already driving in their nice, warm/cool, enclosed car on the highway to get off and take transit mid-route.

Regarding no all-day service, 1) as said above it's to take the load off the 404 at peak hours, 2) Aurora GO is currently hilariously over-capacity, I would imagine there are even a few hundred people who would take the train each day but have stopped bothering due to the lack of parking--my family is very near this point for rush hour travel, it's gotten to be more trouble than it's worth. Bloomington GO is situated at a location where a significant amount of Aurora GO's potential passengers can drive to Bloomington and have it take just slightly more time than driving to Aurora GO, counter-balanced by the ease of finding parking taking less time--so it could serve to free up desperately needed parking space in Aurora by the rush hour crowd, freeing it up for the people who want to use the midday trains rolling out soon. I used to take the GO bus to Union from Aurora midday sometimes and there simply isn't parking anymore after 7 AM, yet alone midday...if that continues, the midday trains won't get nearly as much ridership at Aurora as they would with available parking.

So it's a much bigger picture than it appears at first glance.

Extension of the RH does more for Markham than for downtown, I would think, since it makes it easier for people in Aurora-Newmarket to commute there. It's a shame that having VIA stop in that corridor (say at Richmond Hill GO) still seems a remote likelihood?

I don't doubt this station will attract riders - people living in Aurora and elsewhere in northern York Region could choose to park here instead of at Newmarket or Aurora -- it's right off Highway 404, just like Gormley to the south -- but this is also on the Greenbelt and the Oak Ridges Moraine. Not the type of place where development is likely to follow, or at least should go,

It will forever be dependent on auto access, and maybe a few YRT or GO buses to points further north. It's an example of the worst of GO Transit's mentality.
I don't doubt it either. But there are currently stations with substantial ridership that don' seem to warrant anything near as spectacular as this station. I'm speaking directly to the grand terminal building, and not the parking garage itself (which makes sense).

Some little tidbits I've gleaned lately;

- Probably been posted elsewhere before but in any case the East maintenance facility confirmed to be going "live" i.e. fully operational as of January 1, 2018.

- Bombardier has absolutely no intention of giving up the UP contract to TTC or anyone else for that matter. So all this talk about the TTC taking it over is just that, talk and nothing more.

- So far only one throttle class is confirmed for this year, we're going to need a lot more than that! But at least they are planning to hire 50 more CSA's.

- A new crew facility is planned for Willowbrook(about DAMN TIME!) Unfortunately the completion date is projected to be 2020, meaning it will really be finished in 2022 or 2023 :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Back