News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 765     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Really? And what about concrete, since it is also associated with roadways? Granite blocks? Paint?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

It's not just that it's associated with roadways. It's a generic material with a plain surface and colour that doesn't look good after the initial couple of years when it's fresh, like poured concrete. Granite is a fine paving material with a variety of colours, tones, textures and sheens. Asphalt has none of that to offer.

It's a material associated with roadways and therefore makes for inferior public spaces.

This is all part of the cheapening effect we see with many things done in Toronto and our region as a whole. We always go for the cheapest option for available. If asphalt is so superior, I wonder why we didn't just pave the new Canada square and ontario square with it...That would have made them look even way better than they are..

Stations in Germany have these types of platforms while we have to put up with asphalt crap. Asphalt is for roads and we should leave it there..

S-Bahn-Station_Frankfurt_Stadion.jpg

Compare this to the crap asphalt platforms we have..

Shots from my 2012 trip and does show we are behind the times considering this was not on my do list to research.

Hamburg Germany
8174351818_7cd78d5c0b_b.jpg

Geneva Central Station
8124281933_c8f7734d6a_b.jpg

Berlin
8193982177_465b223a83_b.jpg

Stadt Bernau Bei Berlin Germany
8203761452_00b114b8fa_b.jpg

Frankfurt am Main Germany
8351030399_80c0b157cc_b.jpg

Copenhagen Denmark
8158171233_9f78863a68_b.jpg

Amsterdam
8143855780_9db5c55178_b.jpg

Wien Austria
8256208299_e76b2f4b25_b.jpg

Barcelona Spain before being rebuilt
8009637767_e791469115_b.jpg

Sweden
8158425692_4d544c62d1_b.jpg

Malian Italy
8046519706_c30e8cf8ef_b.jpg

Roma Italy
8055503287_5f33a0cf1c_b.jpg

Prague
8202991291_10151d7c6d_b.jpg

Glasgow Scotland
7527159208_319ea72d3b_b.jpg

No offence drum but several of those photos are of large, central stations are they not? Seems like an unfair comparison considering only Union and a couple other stations in the GO network would actually be deserving of such. Honestly I'd be far happier if GO used the cost-savings involved with using asphalt to cover all their stations and make them weather-proof, at 7AM I don't care what I'm walking on, just that I have to stand in snow/rain/whatever shit Mother Nature is throwing at me this morning.

I think the lack of flair at GO stations is also emblamatic of how GO views itself. It still sees it's service as a type of milk run, picking people up along the way and dropping them off at Union in the morning and the reverse in the afternoon. There is a lack of 'place making' (if I may steal a buzz word) in and around these stations in part because the majority of the passengers are only there for a few minutes while waiting for the train and most if not all drive to the station. Why bother with these sorts of aesthetic elements when people using the space are really just there waiting to get out.

It is analogous to a public restroom. Walk into most and you will find a porcelain john, basic sink, and towels/dryer, all of which are as basic as basic can be. Why? Because the owner is not interested in impressing the guest. I realize this analogy is a bit stretched but if you think about it, it works.

Unless and until GO changes it's policies and it's view on what kind of services it is offering the basic design will remain. If they had all day service and a constant/consistent flow of passengers; plus an integration with the surrounding communities I think you will see greater focus on the design and appeal of the stations.

Unless and until GO changes it's policies and it's view on what kind of services it is offering the basic design will remain. If they had all day service and a constant/consistent flow of passengers; plus an integration with the surrounding communities I think you will see greater focus on the design and appeal of the stations.

That's a good point. The way they see the role of the station in the community will have to change with the introduction of all-day services on lines and transit-oriented development. The station will be one of the focal points for transit-oriented neighbourhoods, for instance, so more investment in design will be a more pressing issue. But even now, the experience of waiting at a GO station could be improved through architecture and art. Spending 10 minutes waiting in a good environment with engaging architecture and art pieces in view seems somehow better than 10 minutes in an environment of generic banality. The commute could be one of the more colourful and enjoyable parts of your day, which for many people consists of spending 7+ hours a day in a boring cubicle or warehouse.

Spending 10 minutes waiting in a good environment with engaging architecture and art pieces in view seems somehow better than 10 minutes in an environment of generic banality. The commute could be one of the more colourful and enjoyable parts of your day, which for many people consists of spending 7+ hours a day in a boring cubicle or warehouse.

I'm not so sure about that. We don't need our commuter stations to become art exhibits, we just need them to not look grungy. Besides most people who wait today would be too preoccupied either with their smart phones or too busy socializing with others if they came in a group to really pay attention to their immediate surroundings. Seems like a waste of money to cater to the minority who have a deeper appreciation of art.

Last edited:
No offence drum but several of those photos are of large, central stations are they not? Seems like an unfair comparison considering only Union and a couple other stations in the GO network would actually be deserving of such. Honestly I'd be far happier if GO used the cost-savings involved with using asphalt to cover all their stations and make them weather-proof, at 7AM I don't care what I'm walking on, just that I have to stand in snow/rain/whatever shit Mother Nature is throwing at me this morning.

Since I wasn't doing research on platform material on my trip, this is some photos I do have that were mainly main terminal.

There are some shot of platforms outside of the main terminal, but don't have the time to look for them and some are only on videos.

There is a cost to upgrade these platforms, but at what cost to the system over all??

Personally, make do different to me if they are asphalt since that is the quickies way to fix or replace problem areas without too much disruption to riders. Can be done in a day depending on what is to place where concrete to pavers can take days

Stations in smaller European cities (Civitavecchia for example), look a lot more like standard GO Stations.

FS_Class_E464-160_at_Civitavecchia%2C_2008.JPG

That's a good point. The way they see the role of the station in the community will have to change with the introduction of all-day services on lines and transit-oriented development. The station will be one of the focal points for transit-oriented neighbourhoods, for instance, so more investment in design will be a more pressing issue. But even now, the experience of waiting at a GO station could be improved through architecture and art. Spending 10 minutes waiting in a good environment with engaging architecture and art pieces in view seems somehow better than 10 minutes in an environment of generic banality. The commute could be one of the more colourful and enjoyable parts of your day, which for many people consists of spending 7+ hours a day in a boring cubicle or warehouse.

How completely naive and ignorant.

"BOO HOO my train platform is so horrible if only it was concrete blocks my dreary cubicle commuting existence would be tolerable."

Here's some advice. Get out of your little bubble. If you want to claim that this crap matters to people, move to Oshawa, and commute downtown for three years. You'll find how trivial a fucking train platform really is and maybe you'll drop your condescending and ignorant narrative.

"BOO HOO my train platform is so horrible if only it was concrete blocks my dreary cubicle commuting existence would be tolerable."

Here's some advice. Get out of your little bubble. If you want to claim that this crap matters to people, move to Oshawa, and commute downtown for three years. You'll find how trivial a fucking train platform really is and maybe you'll drop your condescending and ignorant narrative.
How is it naive and ignorant to demand better from public services instead of settling for mediocrity?

This is why most of the city looks terrible and run down with rusted hydro poles all over the city. Look at the mess the recent bike lanes on Sherbourne are compared to what others are doing elsewhere. Why can't we learn from others? We don't live in a bubble. Instead of demanding better, people just there and act like it's not important. GO Transit is terrible from the service to the stations when we compare it to what other cities are doing. When we see what others are doing, we are justified in demanding that we get the same service where we live. It's not even the asphalt platforms, its how most of the overall stations look and how they look there wasn't any thought given into how they look. They are terrible.

I've worked those jobs and endured long commutes through ugly stations. What can a person do? Have a good social life, live in a great city and find the job you want in time. No one needs more problems like poor transit and ugly stations in their city. These things matter to people, so I'm not going to let them slide. Stations and service matter.

Skilled and talented workers live around the GTA, and if my city is going to be strong, they need to be able to get to work quickly and enjoy their lives in a great city. This is about getting the greatest amount of happiness--not putting a couple of extra trains on the tracks and buses on the roads but a system so functional and refined that it improves the way we live and satisfies our desire for happiness. That's what I want for my city and why I take an interest in this issue.

I'm really not that picky about how the stations look, as long as they are well-maintained. People talk about how things here don't look pretty. Take a look at some of the rail stations in Poland and how a lot of the infrastructure there is outdated and crumbling. Not to mention graffitied to hell. Compared to here, there it looks like a warzone. Taking the overnight train there was surreal. I wish I'd taken some pictures.

Neither service nor stations will be neglected in a great transit system. It's not just about a having a system that's better than the worst. I won't be satisfied until greatness is achieved.

Back