News   Apr 18, 2024
 714     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6.7K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.5K     4 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Could this be related to the development considering the housing minister is showing up too ?

and this fiesta with Ben Spur...

Ben Spurr‏Verified account@BenSpurr
I went to introduce myself to the Minister Yakabuski after the presser. I have been requesting an interview with him for months. Without prompting, he told me I’m not going to get one because he doesn’t speak to “people who insult me on the internet.”

I asked him how I had insulted him. “I’ll let you figure that out,” he said

and this fiesta with Ben Spur...

I went to introduce myself to the Minister Yakabuski after the presser. I have been requesting an interview with him for months. Without prompting, he told me I’m not going to get one because he doesn’t speak to “people who insult me on the internet.”

I asked him how I had insulted him. “I’ll let you figure that out,” he said

I believe these are the tweets in question. I don’t believe they’re insulting to the minister.
DqWreFyWsAEBzBG.jpg

DqWreFyX0AEQnHb.jpg

6:22 AM - 25 Oct 2018 from Toronto, Ontario

https://twitter.com/BenSpurr/status/1055449415958360066

News Release

Ontario Partners with Business to Build New Etobicoke GO Station
October 25, 2018

Improving the transit experience and making life easier for Ontarians
TORONTO — Ontario's Government for the People is keeping its promise to build transit and make Ontario open for business by working with the private sector to build commuters a new, modern station at Mimico GO. This station is the product of a new kind of partnership. This project will optimize the use of government-owned land and increase transit ridership by building a new development along an existing transit line. We are improving the transit experience and making life easier for Ontarians.

Today John Yakabuski, Minister of Transportation, Steve Clark, Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing, Kinga Surma, Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Transportation, Christine Hogarth, MPP, Etobicoke-Lakeshore, and Phil Verster, President and CEO, Metrolinx, visited the Mimico GO Station to announce that Ontario had signed a non-binding Letter of Intent with Vandyk Group of Companies. Metrolinx and Vandyk will negotiate the construction of a new Mimico GO Station.

"We are making it easier for people commuting in the GTHA," said Minister Yakabuski. "The new station we are building at Mimico is part of our plan to improve service on the Lakeshore West line to every 15 minutes or better. By working with businesses to develop this site, we are delivering on our promise that Ontario is open for business, while we get this work done at a lower cost to the taxpayer."

The new Mimico GO Station will include a new, accessible station building, pedestrian tunnels and elevators, refurbished platforms and new entrances to the station and below grade parking. In exchange for the right to develop above Mimico GO Station, the developer will pay all construction costs for the main station building, new parking and Greenway at Mimico GO Station.

"We are very excited about the opportunity at Mimico GO Station," said Phil Verster. "Bringing a new station into a community at little or no cost to the taxpayer is something that has great potential. It also makes good business sense. Metrolinx continues to be open to innovative, joint approaches with the private sector that reduce the cost to taxpayers and also provide efficient, safe and affordable transportation options."

Allowing developers to build above transit stations in exchange for constructing new station facilities reduces the cost of transit expansion projects to taxpayers and creates mixed use communities at our stations.

"We are cutting red tape and working with businesses to build new transit," said Minister Clark. "Transit Oriented Development in major cities around the world are proven to increase ridership and make life easier for transit users by building vibrant communities around existing transit lines. This is one more way we are keeping our promise to open Ontario for business and increase housing in the GTHA."

^ Thanks for posting that. It portends what to expect from this present regime, and I favour involving the private sector, but have serious doubts as to the ability of this regime to act in the best interests "For the People".

That being said, many were hoodwinked by the Libs with their "Agreement in Principle" as per CN and the Freight Bypass.

This is more of the same, albeit with a possible twist the other way:
https://www.blaney.com/files/article-letters-of-intent.pdf

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-25_11-19-46.png
    upload_2018-10-25_11-19-46.png
    182.7 KB · Views: 469
  • upload_2018-10-25_11-21-10.png
    upload_2018-10-25_11-21-10.png
    159.5 KB · Views: 477
Last edited:
News Release

Ontario Partners with Business to Build New Etobicoke GO Station
October 25, 2018

Improving the transit experience and making life easier for Ontarians
TORONTO — Ontario's Government for the People is keeping its promise to build transit and make Ontario open for business by working with the private sector to build commuters a new, modern station at Mimico GO. This station is the product of a new kind of partnership. This project will optimize the use of government-owned land and increase transit ridership by building a new development along an existing transit line. We are improving the transit experience and making life easier for Ontarians.

Today John Yakabuski, Minister of Transportation, Steve Clark, Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing, Kinga Surma, Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Transportation, Christine Hogarth, MPP, Etobicoke-Lakeshore, and Phil Verster, President and CEO, Metrolinx, visited the Mimico GO Station to announce that Ontario had signed a non-binding Letter of Intent with Vandyk Group of Companies. Metrolinx and Vandyk will negotiate the construction of a new Mimico GO Station.

"We are making it easier for people commuting in the GTHA," said Minister Yakabuski. "The new station we are building at Mimico is part of our plan to improve service on the Lakeshore West line to every 15 minutes or better. By working with businesses to develop this site, we are delivering on our promise that Ontario is open for business, while we get this work done at a lower cost to the taxpayer."

The new Mimico GO Station will include a new, accessible station building, pedestrian tunnels and elevators, refurbished platforms and new entrances to the station and below grade parking. In exchange for the right to develop above Mimico GO Station, the developer will pay all construction costs for the main station building, new parking and Greenway at Mimico GO Station.

"We are very excited about the opportunity at Mimico GO Station," said Phil Verster. "Bringing a new station into a community at little or no cost to the taxpayer is something that has great potential. It also makes good business sense. Metrolinx continues to be open to innovative, joint approaches with the private sector that reduce the cost to taxpayers and also provide efficient, safe and affordable transportation options."

Allowing developers to build above transit stations in exchange for constructing new station facilities reduces the cost of transit expansion projects to taxpayers and creates mixed use communities at our stations.

"We are cutting red tape and working with businesses to build new transit," said Minister Clark. "Transit Oriented Development in major cities around the world are proven to increase ridership and make life easier for transit users by building vibrant communities around existing transit lines. This is one more way we are keeping our promise to open Ontario for business and increase housing in the GTHA."

they finally caught on to what many TAs in asia are doing. If done properly this is a win win win scenario for the TA, the the developers and for the general public.

ok, this sounds like more cuts are on the way....

Yakabuski says his government will eliminate Liberal inefficiencies, only pursue transit projects that make sense.

Interesting. I've gotta assume due to the timing that's a reference to Hamilton LRT. It was put on hold waiting for the outcome of the election, and now that a relatively pro-LRT council/mayor has been elected, they're going to kill it despite council instead of with council.

Few other projects are missing Conservative MPPs to support it and were impacted by the municipal election results.

they finally caught on to what many TAs in asia are doing. If done properly this is a win win win scenario for the TA, the the developers and for the general public.
Agreed. With caveats. This has worked very well in 'Western' nations too, Australia immediately coming to mind, but also the UK (with mixed results in the past mostly due to poor administration and oversight) and many EU nations.

My concern is that contrary to having an Attorney-General with ostensible legal acumen, this regime has displayed a profound ignorance of matters legal.

I have serious concerns not on the model, but who's involved.

Last edited:
Interesting. I've gotta assume due to the timing that's a reference to Hamilton LRT.
Exactly my thought too, albeit it's going to be more than just the Hamilton LRT.

I do note Yakker stating:
"The new station we are building at Mimico is part of our plan to improve service on the Lakeshore West line to every 15 minutes or better." But the more this regime states, the more slippery 'indications' become. (I was about to write 'assurances', but that would add undue weight to the believability of weasel words).

The dust-up between Spurr and Yakker bodes very badly for honest dialog.

Interesting. I've gotta assume due to the timing that's a reference to Hamilton LRT. It was put on hold waiting for the outcome of the election, and now that a relatively pro-LRT council/mayor has been elected, they're going to kill it despite council instead of with council.

Few other projects are missing Conservative MPPs to support it and were impacted by the municipal election results.
Waterloo LRT phase 2 is really low ridership from what I remember, I can't imagine that it will proceed.

I could see Hamilton staying, it has a half decent business case, local support, and is very advanced in planning (not that it stopped them from cancelling the new universities).

London BRT is good as dead considering the new mayor opposes it.

(not that it stopped them from cancelling the new universities).
And of course, the only reason offered for the cancellation is 'fiscal restraint'...no analysis of details or merit.
Merrilee Fullerton, Minister of Training, Colleges and Universities, said the government is no longer in a position to fund the three satellite campuses in Markham, Milton and Brampton owing to the province’s “new fiscal restraints.”
[...]
Ms. Fullerton cited a review of the province’s finances that found the deficit has more than doubled to $15-billion this year. During the provincial election campaign, Doug Ford, now Premier, also promised a line-by-line audit of government spending.

“Our government committed to restore accountability and trust in Ontario’s finances. This includes making difficult decisions about projects across the province,” Ms. Fullerton said in a news release issued late on Tuesday.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...cancels-funding-for-three-new-gta-university/

This is slash and burn based on whim, not evidence, and it sets a precedent for more reactionary 'punishment' to come.

Waterloo LRT phase 2 is really low ridership from what I remember, I can't imagine that it will proceed.

Interesting. I thought it was scheduled several years later than it actually is.

If ridership shows up, they'll still be able to get extension funding in 2022 or 2026 (election promises). The EA will still be valid and it's a relatively cheap promise for the region.

London BRT is good as dead considering the new mayor opposes it.

London died when Western demanded a limit on capacity that was nearly identical to today's capacity. It's really hard to build something when one of the primary beneficiaries prefers things the way they are now.

Last edited:

Back