News   Jun 27, 2024
 441     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 749     1 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 469     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

I used that term to refer to the one DBFOM procurement that appeared to wrap in many capital and design decisions - electrification and hydrail be ing one example - which appeared to firewall critical decisions beyond either public oversight or accountability.

I have no objection to use of contractor operators to deliver GO operations.... or DBFOM in general. But ML and the Minister must earn their pay by building and managing an organization that has the skills and processes to plan and manage the system with appropriate separation of technical and political inputs.

I have heard whispers that the upcoming Treasury meeting may clip ML’s feathers, not because of any anti transit animus from the Ford camp.... but rather because there is a longer-standing consensus among key bureaucrats (Eg DM and ADM level types) that ML had been overresourced and overforgiven, solely as a source of photo ops for the Wynne party, and now that Wynne is gone the chickens are able to come home to roost.

If those rumours are true, and these bureaucrats are free to air some rational and deserving objections to ML’s rosy and arguably extravagant modus operandus, that’s a good thing. That exercise is aligned to Ford Nation values, to be sure, and will likely be welcomed at the political level..... it may cost us some promised fantasy projects, but it may be a step in the right direction.

- Paul

I've tried to find where I read that the RFQ date was pushed back to October 18th but haven't been able to locate it. I did however find @alexanderglista's post which quoted from a Metrolinx report stating they expected the RFQ to close at the end of September 2018:

https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...-metrolinx-various.9023/page-416#post-1373412

I've tried to find where I read that the RFQ date was pushed back to October 18th but haven't been able to locate it. I did however find @alexanderglista's post which quoted from a Metrolinx report stating they expected the RFQ to close at the end of September 2018:

https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...-metrolinx-various.9023/page-416#post-1373412

I don't have physical evidence, but yes the closing date was pushed back about a month (to October 18th). Probably because the bidders wanted more time, which isn't abnormal.

Utility relocation work has started around Rutherford GO station. This is not part of the main contract for the project, as it hasn't been awarded yet.

If I was metrolinx, I would release a new set of immediate projects to be completed every 6 months because people are getting restless.

And I would speed up the Lincolnville, Kitchener and Barrie lines. And I would do something about Milton just because it is the second busiest line. Make a real effort here.

If I was metrolinx, I would release a new set of immediate projects to be completed every 6 months because people are getting restless.

And I would speed up the Lincolnville, Kitchener and Barrie lines. And I would do something about Milton just because it is the second busiest line. Make a real effort here.
To be completely honest, how many people are getting restless? Just the few of us on this board?
I bet you the vast majority of GTA residents don't know what GO Expansion (previously known as RER) is, or don't care for it.

Doing so is like committing themselves to those projects. That is what Metrolinx is trying not to do.

To be completely honest, how many people are getting restless? Just the few of us on this board?
I bet you the vast majority of GTA residents don't know what GO Expansion (previously known as RER) is, or don't care for it.
Because they have no idea what it is and how it is relevant to their life. They will care if it really helps their commute, or be convinced that it does.

Because they have no idea what it is and how it is relevant to their life. They will care if it really helps their commute, or be convinced that it does.
Of course, but that's not the point. The point is that Metrolinx is not feeling any pressure from anyone to actually get on with expanding transit.

Back