News   Jul 15, 2024
 210     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 412     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 541     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

^ I mentioned that in response to the comment that they've gone silent. I wasn't clear when you mentioned they've "gone completely silent on the matter" on if you're saying they (a) literally won't respond to your questions, or (b) when they do there is not enough specific information. If a written question is asked before the town hall and not responded to as part of the top 10 or from tweets/other online comments, they respond in writing to all questions afterwards which would at least deal with (a).

When was the last time you asked?

Last edited:
^ I mentioned that in response to the comment that they've gone silent. I wasn't clear when you mentioned they've "gone completely silent on the matter" on if you're saying they (a) literally won't respond to your questions, or (b) when they do there is not enough specific information. If a written question is asked before the town hall and not responded to as part of the top 10 or from the tweets, they respond in writing to all questions afterwards which would at least deal with (a).

When was the last time you asked?
Your response raises a certain ire in me because it indicates to me that their strategy of training us to their ways is working. You seem a bright fella but you seem to be very accepting that a) The only time we should pose questions to them are at town hall times (ie when they open their doors) and/or b) those town halls produce any meaningful answers.

on the first point, I have posed the question directly to Metrolinx 3 times in the last 4 weeks or so. Not so much as a "we'll get back to you on that" or a "we have referred/deferred your question to X"....just complete ignoring of the question. Given the size of their media and communications department this is just shockingly ignorant.

On the second point.....take this example from their last town hall. I posed a question...it was not chosen to be answered at the meeting (fair enough, there are a lot of questions although some of the ones they chose to answer bordered on trivial)....and, yes, after checking back over and over again to their "engage" site I did finally see the "answer" they gave to my question. Not only was it not an answer to the question I posed.....the answer they gave me was essentially a quote back to me from the preamble to my question.....they have, in fact, never answered the question that I actually posed (although their actions give a strong hint to the answer).

The communications group at Metrolinx is effective one thing and one thing only.....answering only the questions they want to answer (not the ones posed) and only when they want to.

Your response raises a certain ire in me because it indicates to me that their strategy of training us to their ways is working. You seem a bright fella but you seem to be very accepting that a) The only time we should pose questions to them are at town hall times (ie when they open their doors) and/or b) those town halls produce any meaningful answers.

on the first point, I have posed the question directly to Metrolinx 3 times in the last 4 weeks or so. Not so much as a "we'll get back to you on that" or a "we have referred/deferred your question to X"....just complete ignoring of the question. Given the size of their media and communications department this is just shockingly ignorant.

On the second point.....take this example from their last town hall. I posed a question...it was not chosen to be answered at the meeting (fair enough, there are a lot of questions although some of the ones they chose to answer bordered on trivial)....and, yes, after checking back over and over again to their "engage" site I did finally see the "answer" they gave to my question. Not only was it not an answer to the question I posed.....the answer they gave me was essentially a quote back to me from the preamble to my question.....they have, in fact, never answered the question that I actually posed (although their actions give a strong hint to the answer).

The communications group at Metrolinx is effective one thing and one thing only.....answering only the questions they want to answer (not the ones posed) and only when they want to.
I concur. As much as they scream COMMUNICATION, it's completely lacking at Metrolinx. They never give out direct answers, always hiding behind a veil.

Your response raises a certain ire in me because it indicates to me that their strategy of training us to their ways is working. You seem a bright fella

Thanks!

but you seem to be very accepting that a) The only time we should pose questions to them are at town hall times (ie when they open their doors) and/or b) those town halls produce any meaningful answers.

Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to suggest that we should only pose questions at town halls. I was merely noting the next one coming up. I totally agree it's only one of many ways they should receive and respond to questions, including by FOIs.

That's helpful additional information I wasn't aware of from your first comment, so that's helpful to know.

Same as above. Helpful additional context. In addition to @crs1026's comment about the zoning/demolition/municipal Site Plan Approval status (any way to tell from the City's website if they have a city plan application in?), other theories to explain your point about keeping the sites as rental properties could be that they don't typically manage residential rental properties and could be worried about any liabilities/operational cost challenges, or with the change in government maybe they are waiting for direction.

Same as above. Helpful additional context. In addition to @crs1026's comment about the zoning/demolition/municipal Site Plan Approval status (any way to tell from the City's website if they have a city plan application in?), other theories to explain your point about keeping the sites as rental properties could be that they don't typically manage residential rental properties and could be worried about any liabilities/operational cost challenges, or with the change in government maybe they are waiting for direction.
You see, my real theory is that we should not have to concoct or create or think of theories.......when they are asked what is going on with those boarded houses they should, you know, answer the question.

What is wrong with "we bought the houses under one government, out of respect we are awaiting the direction of the new government" or "We are awaiting city permission to demolish the houses " or " XXXXX" whatever the answer is.

Again, however, I have no way of knowing why/how they were able to demolish 3 of the residential properties but, somehow, the city would rather see the rest sit as vacant and boarded up properties like we are awaiting Lester Freamon to come in and discover the bodies behind the boarding ;)

What is wrong with "we bought the houses under one government, out of respect we are awaiting the direction of the new government" or "We are awaiting city permission to demolish the houses " or " XXXXX" whatever the answer is.

I certainly agree that the above would be a helpful response.

The answer may be nothing more than the project manager has more pressing things to attend to, and is saving the paperwork to hire the bulldozer and dumpster for a rainy day. That is a very businesslike answer. Unless there is a safety or security concern, I would rather they are working on tracks and underpasses.

Interim rental is attractive as a concept, yes, but could drag ML into a host of issues including verifying that the building meets codes, are free from mould asbestos etc, bringing it up to marketable condition, doing credit checks and rental agreements, etc etc. It may seem like money could be made, but the overhead costs of performing non-core activities by government agencies is often huge. Rather than put in all that effort, a few sheets of plywood is a pretty pragmatic solution.,

If you have serious reservations about squatters, potential crime, environmental issues, etc, then by all means call the police or the City building inspectors. As to lighting a fire under ML, I wouldn’t hold my breath.

But yeah, ML needs a huge attitude readjustment when it comes to openness.

- Paul

The answer may be nothing more than the project manager has more pressing things to attend to, and is saving the paperwork to hire the bulldozer and dumpster for a rainy day. That is a very businesslike answer. Unless there is a safety or security concern, I would rather they are working on tracks and underpasses.

Interim rental is attractive as a concept, yes, but could drag ML into a host of issues including verifying that the building meets codes, are free from mould asbestos etc, bringing it up to marketable condition, doing credit checks and rental agreements, etc etc. It may seem like money could be made, but the overhead costs of performing non-core activities by government agencies is often huge. Rather than put in all that effort, a few sheets of plywood is a pretty pragmatic solution.,

If you have serious reservations about squatters, potential crime, environmental issues, etc, then by all means call the police or the City building inspectors. As to lighting a fire under ML, I wouldn’t hold my breath.

But yeah, ML needs a huge attitude readjustment when it comes to openness.

- Paul
Those are all concerns that are easy to slough off if you don't live in the area (I don't live there) but the fact is for 2 years they have negatively impacted the look/feel of DT Brampton (something that would have seemed hard to do) and there appears to be no end in sight.

A legitimate concern is that those houses and buildings were only purchased by Metrolinx because they had been told/tipped that Ryerson was going to "choose" the main parking lot of the GO station as their location and that ML needed to do act on replacing that parking......and that now this is not the case, those houses may remain boarded up for a very long time.

Metrolinx delivered a presentation on Union ville GO station at Unionville Resident Association Monday. They made some casual comments on service increase but would not specify the amount of increase and timing, which is quite disappointing.

^ Speaking of Agincourt, latest email update received today (pictures included).

Stouffville Corridor Part I Newsletter
Thank you for signing up for Metrolinx's Scarborough-Markham e-newsletter for Part I (Sheppard to Steeles). Community engagement is important to us. Our goal is to keep you informed about our railway expansion program and its benefits and impacts to your community. We encourage you to share this information with your neighbours. Please forward us any questions you have about the work in your neighbourhood. Please forward us any questions you have about the work in your neighbourhood.

In this edition, our update includes:
  • Road closures this weekend at Huntingwood and Havendale
  • Agincourt and Milliken GO Station Update
  • Construction Update
  • Community Office Hours
E1_iPdZPwWt6nriUJtOKGDxX5zsfuWgArS8DdKtRWnRTNF6C9_oWd2kVsuzht3tFsn1hPxTQ3mG0_lVWjIKMe02twHLOPw3W2WrOr3SCu0edZvbRhmppJaMsXduTQMpWlO44P9XtWlHJQ7ux4x7hLXnxnjhg--lhH0c=s0-d-e1-ft

Road closures this weekend and next at Huntingwood and Havendale
As part of the our improvement to railway crossings, Metrolinx is undertaking Mainline Track Rehabilitation at the railway corridor at Havendale Road and Huntingwood Drive.

In order to safely complete this work, Metrolinx has coordinated with the City of Toronto to close Huntingwood Drive between Belgreen Avenue and Kittery Blvd, from Friday November 9th at 9:00pm, through to Monday November 12th, re-opening at 5:00am. This intersection will also be closed the following weekend at the same times, from Friday November 16th to Monday November 19th.

UloeY0INZO7xAIQwPLaauVI4zvJuf1swRIBcAhrIgZLH5kNmvEH0wkAY9V-uP5GnN5whK_myLN6PRnWsMRRLHiDXGC7FhyikPD2Uq9QlFUM0zaxCz45P6Pw4cYIlCF2lfAh40I-kzZmvHnDzw2DtJIPWxipZodQpU_o=s0-d-e1-ft

In addition, Havendale Road will be closed for one weekend, between Stainforth Drive and Belgreen Avenue from Friday November 16th, starting at 9:00pm, through to Monday November 19th, re-opening at 5:00am.

l91FWM5cKrQJq4BBaIPX9jyY2htdG9L55c28nng-g8lPZ-VG0MJRkDcMbkubWuyRwH1YLv8W2T24SLVWbroL6ko9Nxw1ysImY1gVoZcXG4pp61uHNhdBYkpbAiCcM-7dMHYMXWYlu665XAw-FR06GjdK0ntKiCtKhJQ=s0-d-e1-ft

1541799617688.png

Stations Work Update
Construction at Agincourt, Milliken, and Unionville GO Station's began on October 1, along with work on the Steeles Avenue Grade Separation.

This project is expected to last approximately two years in total, to the end of 2020 (early 2021 for Steeles Avenue Grade Separation).

At Agincourt, as of October 22, EllisDon began work in the former motel plot of land. This work is to prepare the location for temporary parking that will be used while EllisDon completes removals for the south portion of the platform that began on October 29. Construction crews will be isolated to this portion of land (former motel area) and will not be occupying the existing station footprint. EllisDon has indicated that a mini excavator and bobcat skid steer will be the equipment being used.

1541799663125.png

Construction Update (Non-station work)

Work Performed/Construction activities:
  • Removed soft soil from the subgrade area (portion right below surface) as well as sub-excavated soft soil below subgrade
  • The sub-excavated area is being backfilled with sub-ballast material
  • Installing pandrol clips (used to fasten rail tracks ad secure them) with ties and rails of south track from Huntingwood to Finch Avenue crossing
  • Installing Bell 360 ducts in the trench along the west property line in between Huntingwood and Finch Avenue crossings
  • Installing fast fences along the west property line in between McNicoll spur to Passmore Avenue crossing
  • Approving competent subgrade

zPmbhubIj6gLm2a2l-6rYPpbbVEAoBaSABr1C_--fIm2Xj1aw5QTSUA0pqQbBGaNncK7RPif7HgNRwZbtr5sT-egmBZDNGdegVhilqAN6Lnvbv3xdXTjfCwwMZQ3UP70zcY8M0zumXn2sZGCqdHgdD1uqiQnShUP9VU=s0-d-e1-ft

Work scheduled for weekdays work:
  • Dewatering (When required)
  • Grading subgrade for south track from Cascade spur to Finch Avenue crossing (progressing)
  • Extra removal of poor subgrade (when required)
  • Concrete ties and rail distribution from Marilyn Finch Avenue crossing (complete)
  • Huntingwood Avenue north track (weekend work)
  • Installing Bell 360 duct in between Finch and Huntingwood crossing
FgG4-FXVtvxyIJK962F-95x_gjNEA_rDgjnY3gK7YMcjcapoHeEZNBd9fqFuEf1xhU6T5pATvDDu0_CG_8uQNxt5b7Da1PRl6pbe-2hre79WAlCrunAy8eiC157zN4KRUdCPjDngOV1w9klWC1hPIX8r0SMxOLROovc=s0-d-e1-ft

Glad to see work proceeding. Can't wait to see centenary and quiet electric trains on the GO network, something my little town in Eastern Europe had 30 years ago. Long, long overdue change for GO.

Two notes from Bramalea area:

1. There's a massive hole in the west end of the north lot for the new pedestrian access to the west tunnel. There was a backhoe and dumptruck moving earth around yesterday morning as I passed through.
2. Tracks have been laid (may not be in final configuration) on the new bridges at Torbram road. Still nothing up to the bridge apart from graded ballast on either side, but it's a start.

Back