News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 449     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

A third track all the way means significant works on the several level crossings east of WH GO, surely? Possibly even pushing them into separation territory?

I have often suspected that Niagara Falls politicians would have bitterly opposed a phase 1 layover yard being at St Catharines, because of fear that the incremental cost of a tunnel to complete the service to Niagara would never be greenlighted.

Niagara Region already has bus service from St Kitts to Welland and Niagara. I would hope that any future change would include moving the bus terminal 2 km to the train station and adjusting the schedule so that everything is integrated.
St. Catharines bus terminal?
It is in downtown St. Catharines and much more useful to locals that a VIA station would be. The downtown of St. Kitts has been revitalized since the new hockey arena and arts centre were built.

Niagara Region already has bus service from St Kitts to Welland and Niagara. I would hope that any future change would include moving the bus terminal 2 km to the train station and adjusting the schedule so that everything is integrated.

Niagara Region Transit's 50/55 is kinda garbage. It doesn't run late, it doesn't run Sunday, and it doesn't run east of Dorchester Road, the west end of Niagara Falls.

Straying into Service thread discussion, but GO needs to re-do their service in Niagara Region, and take over NRT.

Niagara Region Transit's 50/55 is kinda garbage. It doesn't run late, it doesn't run Sunday, and it doesn't run east of Dorchester Road, the west end of Niagara Falls.

Straying into Service thread discussion, but GO needs to re-do their service in Niagara Region, and take over NRT.

The old 50/55 and 60/65 ran all the way to Niagara Falls' downtown terminal. The new connecting point -- in the middle of a big-box cluster -- isn't very useful.

What Niagara Region needs is fully integrated regional transit rather than the half-measure they have right now. It's mostly already there, with the local systems in Welland, Niagara Falls, and St. Catharines feeding downtown terminals, but they should be fully integrated. The regional buses need to connect those hubs properly, seven days a week, with a simpler fare structure (double the local fare to ride regional buses, but transfers from local buses count towards the regional fare - it's somewhat confusing right now).

There also should be a bus running several times a day (at the very least) along old Highway 8 between Downtown St. Catharines and Hamilton (terminating at Eastgate Square at least where there are frequent HSR connections) serving Jordan, Beamsville, and Grimsby where people actually live, rather than the park-and-ride lots that GO serves, serving the hospitals in St. Catharines and Grimsby.

It should be an interesting weekend on LSW as the work to replace bridges in the Humber-Swansea area begins. This weekend’s goal is the Humber River bridge. There is a 50 hour work window to replace spans. Workers are already on site renewing the piers that support the bridge, with temporary roadways now in place and lots of grubbing along the ROW.
From the detail of the abutments on land, nothing appears to be getting roughed in towards another track, although piers may be getting extended, possibly allowing for that if the tracks are shifted somewhat.
The work will take until October, and will remove some of the heavily tagged CN insignia from bygone days.

- Paul

27FB057C-5E00-4115-ADAA-50613BA7FD9B.jpeg
9CD8A6D1-1B68-4E6B-AC26-749D11AA7F94.jpeg
8055DC24-07EA-4F03-9458-8A788C653C03.jpeg
5BC740C3-48AB-4A42-AF54-827D62018C5F.jpeg
54AE8340-A710-4043-8FE4-44C85B0B1ACE.jpeg
20492A66-0B35-418B-967D-D6B91BC726B2.jpeg
F29C5CD8-EA2F-4A69-8925-46D552C3F6E1.jpeg

Attachments

• 27FB057C-5E00-4115-ADAA-50613BA7FD9B.jpeg
    27FB057C-5E00-4115-ADAA-50613BA7FD9B.jpeg
    177.4 KB · Views: 706
  • 9CD8A6D1-1B68-4E6B-AC26-749D11AA7F94.jpeg
    9CD8A6D1-1B68-4E6B-AC26-749D11AA7F94.jpeg
    182.3 KB · Views: 650
  • 8055DC24-07EA-4F03-9458-8A788C653C03.jpeg
    8055DC24-07EA-4F03-9458-8A788C653C03.jpeg
    145.2 KB · Views: 699
  • 5BC740C3-48AB-4A42-AF54-827D62018C5F.jpeg
    5BC740C3-48AB-4A42-AF54-827D62018C5F.jpeg
    281.4 KB · Views: 710
  • 54AE8340-A710-4043-8FE4-44C85B0B1ACE.jpeg
    54AE8340-A710-4043-8FE4-44C85B0B1ACE.jpeg
    183.7 KB · Views: 649
  • 20492A66-0B35-418B-967D-D6B91BC726B2.jpeg
    20492A66-0B35-418B-967D-D6B91BC726B2.jpeg
    135.5 KB · Views: 685
  • F29C5CD8-EA2F-4A69-8925-46D552C3F6E1.jpeg
    F29C5CD8-EA2F-4A69-8925-46D552C3F6E1.jpeg
    230.4 KB · Views: 691
Last edited:
It should be an interesting weekend on LSW as the work to replace bridges in the Humber-Swansea area begins. This weekend’s goal is the Humber River bridge. There is a 50 hour work window to replace spans. Workers are already on site renewing the piers that support the bridge, with temporary roadways now in place and lots of grubbing along the ROW.
From the detail of the abutments on land, nothing appears to be getting roughed in towards another track, although piers may be getting extended, possibly allowing for that if the tracks are shifted somewhat.
The work will take until October, and will remove some of the heavily tagged CN insignia from bygone days.

- Paul

View attachment 151940 View attachment 151941 View attachment 151942 View attachment 151943 View attachment 151944 View attachment 151945 View attachment 151946

Are there any service impacts from this? It would seem like a perfect opportunity to re-route LSW GO Trains via the recently upgraded Canpa Sub.

Also on the subject of the Canpa Sub, here is a picture (and another) of GO crews testing out the line for training from fall 2017.

Last edited:
@gweed123 @mdrejhon @innsertnamehere I was under the impression that there was going to be a forced transfer west harbour because Metrolinx was not sure that they would be able to maintain their schedule over the welland canal. That is a huge bridge which ships pass through. Correct me if I am wrong?

Still up for debate. Personally, I favour running Niagara trains to West Harbour, and running LSW trains to Confederation. That way you have a one station overlap, so those who are going from Niagara to Downtown Hamilton, and those going from Stoney Creek to Toronto don't have to transfer.

Are there any service impacts from this? It would seem like a perfect opportunity to re-route LSW GO Trains via the recently upgraded Canpa Sub.

Also on the subject of the Canpa Sub, here is a picture (and another) of GO crews testing out the line for training from fall 2017.

I agree. Running over the Canpa would make a lot of sense in this instance.

Still up for debate. Personally, I favour running Niagara trains to West Harbour, and running LSW trains to Confederation. That way you have a one station overlap, so those who are going from Niagara to Downtown Hamilton, and those going from Stoney Creek to Toronto don't have to transfer.

I agree. Running over the Canpa would make a lot of sense in this instance.
I love this idea, but will the train crews complain about the schedule. I would think they would have to pad if going union confederation.

Regardless of whether the Canpa sub is being used or not, there would be no service to Mimico or Exhibition, and that requires notice. And I haven't seen *anything* about it officially from Mx or VIA. Is it confirmed that LSW will have any impacts, or will work just pause when trains go by?

It's a perfectly terrible weekend to bypass Exhibition Station. I sure hope they can do this work one track at a time. Since each bridge has to be removed, more than a pause will be needed - at least one track will be out of service at any time. It looks from underneath that each track has its own bridge, so perhaps they do them one at a time.

ML sent a notice to our neighbourhood a few weeks ago, but it mostly cautioned about traffic diversions when each bridge was being worked on. And how the bike trail under the Humber bridge will be closed. Didn't say anything about the GO service. Might be something to tweet AMA about.

- Paul

Last edited:

Normally I'd discount this, even though it's in ML' bylaw/mandate, but in light of the unpredictability of the present QP regime, and the "uploading of subways"...you have to wonder. I suspect the Niagara Region is going to get next to nothing, but who knows what to expect? Conservative Mayors can't even get answers.

And how the bike trail under the Humber bridge will be closed.
Whoa! I hadn't thought about that, that would have taken me by surprise. It's been a couple of weeks since using that section, and no notice was posted. Just checked on-line, there are three areas that are noted for closure, but not there.

Anyone have official notice on this? That's a very important connection, albeit there used to be a bypass across the Queensway bridge (very dangerous in spots to unaware cyclists) and under the South Kingsway (IIRC) underpass.

Edit: Just confirmed the cycle path to bypass is still extant as described:
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/To...23555502ab4c477!8m2!3d43.653226!4d-79.3831843

Edit: Just confirmed the cycle path to bypass is still extant as described:
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/To...23555502ab4c477!8m2!3d43.653226!4d-79.3831843

Used it today. After last year's reconstruction of the Queensway bridge, the bicycle lanes on both sides of the Queensway are improved, and do connect on both sides with the path under the bridge. (The stretch under the Gardiner is downright spooky, IMHO, but it's there.)

When I was taking pictures today, a couple of construction workers approached me with a heads up that the bike path would be closed as of Friday night for the weekend. I didn't see any signage, but there were some "detour" signs here and there. South Kingsway is the obvious detour route, and it's not that far east of the Humber.

- Paul

Used it today. After last year's reconstruction of the Queensway bridge, the bicycle lanes on both sides of the Queensway are improved, and do connect on both sides with the path under the bridge. (The stretch under the Gardiner is downright spooky, IMHO, but it's there.)

When I was taking pictures today, a couple of construction workers approached me with a heads up that the bike path would be closed as of Friday night for the weekend. I didn't see any signage, but there were some "detour" signs here and there. South Kingsway is the obvious detour route, and it's not that far east of the Humber.

- Paul
You caught my concern completely save for the necessity for 'unseasoned' cyclists to stay on the sidewalk going over the Queensway Humber Bridge. Cars go at highway speed along Queensway there, and rarely ever signal if taking the slip road off to the EB Gardiner. Even if a cyclist also turns down the slip road to get to the path, you can easily be clipped. Best for those unfamiliar with it to stay on the sidewalk, something the City should post since technically it's illegal unless posted otherwise.

Yeah, it is 'creepy' flying down through there. I could hardly believe where I was when I first stumbled across it until remembering it was the initial route for the Humber bike path before the present alignment was put in to reach the 'new' arch bridge over the Humber. Walked my bike and dog through there westbound last year, only to find about five homeless people camped out under the bridges. Didn't scare me, but would some.

It's a perfectly terrible weekend to bypass Exhibition Station. I sure hope they can do this work one track at a time. Since each bridge has to be removed, more than a pause will be needed - at least one track will be out of service at any time. It looks from underneath that each track has its own bridge, so perhaps they do them one at a time.

ML sent a notice to our neighbourhood a few weeks ago, but it mostly cautioned about traffic diversions when each bridge was being worked on. And how the bike trail under the Humber bridge will be closed. Didn't say anything about the GO service. Might be something to tweet AMA about.

- Paul

Metrolinx seems unaware of any construction this weekend. Via AMA. Imagine if Metrolinx forgot to tell people of a detour? That would be chaos lol. We sure the bridge work is this weekend? I can't see how the line really could remain open if multiple spans are being replaced, due to staging requirements. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Metrolinx seems unaware of any construction this weekend. Via AMA. Imagine if Metrolinx forgot to tell people of a detour? That would be chaos lol. We sure the bridge work is this weekend? I can't see how the line really could remain open if multiple spans are being replaced, due to staging requirements. Maybe I'm wrong though.

I got this word of mouth from the construction workers, they will certainly be working but maybe it’s just preparatory work and not the actual span replacement. Clearly, it’s imminent. Will watch and see.

- Paul

Back