News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 429     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

^I am no fan of Doug Ford or a lot of guys in his government....but that is a pretty good answer IMO.

One of the problems we had with our previous government was they had this tendency to bigfoot GO/Metrolinx with their own announcements and timelines. So we got (personal peeve example warning) situations where a budget speach promised evening and weekend service on the KW corridor by March 31, 2017.....but GO/ML were nowhere near ready to implement that and it caused angst.

What you have above is the appropriate answer.....the gov't is committed to expanding GO service (to Niagara and other areas) but they will consult with GO on the hows and whens of the matter.

This is, as I said, as surprisingly good answer.
They didn't answer the question. That's not a good answer, and not the intention of Question Period. Not even close. It was and is complete obfuscation. I would encourage Burch to present a written question, and publish the answer in the local press for all to see.

Make no mistake, I am and was absolutely no fan of Il Duce, but anyone believing this is somehow an improvement and "Government for the People" and some kind of "draining the swamp" is naive to say the least.

This confirms many of our worst fears. This is governing by mime and mantra.

Last edited:
What concerns me more is how they are saying they commit to AD2W service to Niagara Kitchener and Bowmanville? Should I be worried that Barrie and Stouffville don't come up? And last time I checked Bowmanville is just going to be commuter service? Have they mentioned electrification at all? Maybe the member from Davenport should press that . . .
It's apparent that they're not even serious about addressing legitimate and crucial questions.

The apt answer would have been: "Mr Speaker, it's still very early in our mandate, and this special Summer session has us with few answers to the legitimate question of the honourable member, but we will look into getting an answer and supply it to the member and to this legislature. I ask the honourable member to submit the question to me in writing, I will respond in kind, and I'll have an update for the next sitting session for all members to hear."

But hey, those would be the words of someone who really cared...

They didn't answer the question. That's not a good answer, and not the intention of Question Period. Not even close. It was and is complete obfuscation. I would encourage Burch to present a written question, and publish the answer in the local press for all to see.

Make no mistake, I am and was absolutely no fan of Il Duce, but anyone believing this is somehow an improvement and "Government for the People" and some kind of "draining the swamp" is naive to say the least.

This confirms many of our worst fears. This is governing by mime and mantra.

It's still pretty early in the term of this government. I assume by now the Minister has been briefed in detail on GO RER and the "Extensions" (Niagara, Waterloo Region which includes the Bypass, Bowmanville). They are probably trying to figure out the fiscal situation and if they can proceed on exactly what the previous government promised. While they've said they support existing plans and more service to certain locations, they haven't said anything about technology or service levels. So expect answers like this for several months. It happens with any new government outside their urgent promises (cap and trade repeal, York Strike, killing the windfarm near Kingston).

It's still pretty early in the term of this government. I assume by now the Minister has been briefed in detail on GO RER and the "Extensions" (Niagara, Waterloo Region which includes the Bypass, Bowmanville). They are probably trying to figure out the fiscal situation and if they can proceed on exactly what the previous government promised. While they've said they support existing plans and more service to certain locations, they haven't said anything about technology or service levels. So expect answers like this for several months. It happens with any new government outside their urgent promises (cap and trade repeal, York Strike, killing the windfarm near Kingston).
You posted while my last post went up. I fully appreciate and agree with your points. What's truly disturbing is not whether they can proffer an answer or not, it's the blatant lack of proper legislative protocol and not making a promise to the legislature that an answer on specifics will be forthcoming.

Instead the response was pure bluster, and that's being kind. When does this regime get past their sales brochure? From what I'm reading of Hansard, it's all they have. If there was substance as you project, (and I agree on the probability of what you state as to being briefed) in respect to their claim of (gist) "doing it differently from the last regime" and "for the people" yada, yada, yada...not only were "The Folks" cheated on this obfuscation, so was the institution and sanctity of parliamentary representation and accountability.

My gut feeling? Slash time, and they're hiding behind weasel words. If it was otherwise, they *ostensibly* would have offered something rational and accountable in their reply.

I'm going to be scouring the Globe to see if 'brother' Yakabuski has any comments on the matter. I fully expect other journos will, including some in the Post, especially Coyne.

Yakabuski should have known better:
His late brother, Kim Yakabuski, was the life partner of former Liberal Attorney-General Ian Scott.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Yakabuski

Still, no place for individual initiative in this regime it seems. I wonder if Mulroney has been co-opted and assimilated by the 'collective' yet? Please...not her. Maybe Brian can have her rescued before it's too late?

Edit to Add: To establish my claim of Yakabuski "should have known better" above, I did some digging on QP Hansard, and at one time, the man expressed an intellect and awareness of his position and surroundings.

In Opposition:
[...]I quote standing order 14, which says, “Whenever the Speaker is of the opinion that a motion offered to the House is contrary to the rules and privileges of Parliament, the Speaker shall rule it out of order and may quote the rule or authority applicable.” I have quoted for you the rule on substantive motions, and I have shown how this motion breaches that rule. I would therefore ask that you rule this motion out of order at this time.
[...]
https://www.ola.org/en/legislative-...ts/parliament-39/session-2/2010-09-28/hansard

But then again, cults and gangs erase the ability of the individual to express their prior intellect...

Last edited:
Nitpick: GO RER never promised 2WAD to Bowmanville by 2021. The Del Duca commitment was 4-5 peak trains only, with eventual 2WAD by about 2030. And that was an adjunct to RER, not in the original RER business plan.

I doubt the Minister understood that subtlety, but I'm pleased that he understands the term 2WAD, and applying it to three lines is a pretty positive indication that the Ford regime is going ahead with GO generally.

Nice try by the Honorable Member to pin down to a date, but one would expect the Minister to duck that, even if he knew the date. Let ML make that commitment, and then he isn't painted into a corner. If the date slips, the Minister can express shock and disappointment and blame ML. Nothing sinister in that, every political party would do it that way. (But I do want someone to sign in blood on a date, somewhere)

- Paul

PS: The Minister didn't think to include Barrie in that list of three routes to get all day service. Maybe he thought three was enough. Or, maybe Barrie isn't on the priority list. Or, it's already too far along to be counted as a Ford initiative. Time will tell.

- Paul

Screenshot_2018-07-26-15-12-14.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-07-26-15-12-14.png
    Screenshot_2018-07-26-15-12-14.png
    202.4 KB · Views: 448
Yeah thats what I was saying, Bowmanville is peak commuter to begin.

I guess the question I would ask is with trains becoming more and more crowded on the Lakeshore and more service being added isn't electrification kind of a necessity?

It's a no-brainer, yes. But it's a pile of money. Never underestimate government's ability to get it wrong.

- Paul

...and applying it to three lines is a pretty positive indication that the Ford regime is going ahead with GO generally.
Not necessarily. Some contracts are already in play, and the costs of cancellation penalties would be too great, even for a Premier who's now lied to the legislature repeatedly on the Hydro One fiasco.

I don't see a problem with the answer the Minister gave. To make announcements that he may not be able to keep is irresponsible. The Liberals gave lots of announcements for purely political reasons and we know how the Liberals had a stellar record of bringing in everything late and over budget. How many times was the Spadina ext opening pushed back? What about the UPX that Wynne said would be electrified by 2017 to mute the lines many critics especially from those in Weston? What about Wynne's pushing back electrification by bringing in Hydrail which effectively puts construction on hold until a 'total review' is undertaken and it's not that I think Hydrail may not be a viable option but that's not why the Liberals proposed it.

Making announcements that you have no intention of keeping is, in my view, far worse than simply saying we are dedicated to a service but unsure of the timeframe.

PS: The Minister didn't think to include Barrie in that list of three routes to get all day service. Maybe he thought three was enough. Or, maybe Barrie isn't on the priority list. Or, it's already too far along to be counted as a Ford initiative. Time will tell.

- Paul
Barrie or Stoufville. This makes makes me thing Milton and Richmond hill will come in 2040 or 50 @Reecemartin @steveintoronto

July 07
Just got around to do this day of photos. Very hard to see Crosstown Caledonia Station and no work on the Barrie Line for doubling tracking and building the new GO Station to connect to the Crosstown station yet.
41816915590_e6434174b1_b.jpg

28737361907_1c94eb7b1a_b.jpg

41816918160_86cbc8df35_b.jpg

28737374587_b55e5ef93f_b.jpg

43624923471_c5ca142eca_b.jpg

Also, I noticed at Willowbrook Yard what look to be about 3 bridge girders located on the VIA side, and some transport trucks (I also saw them on a previous trip, sorry I couldn't get a shot). Also, there were three flatcars or four flatcars looking like they were going to be loaded int the future. They looked way to large and substantial to be for the CIBC Square Park. No idea what they could be for, maybe the forum cold shed some light on what they are. I'll try to get a shot on Saturday. Very strange, I wasn't aware of any bridge replacements in the near future.

Well, the Garrison Park bridge is going in this weekend - could it be for that?

- Paul

Well, the Garrison Park bridge is going in this weekend - could it be for that?

- Paul
Not for Garrison Point since that bridge is in one piece and is Stainless Steel from what I have heard.

Could be for the replacement of the CP Bridge over Eglinton that had to be removed for the road and Crosstown station there. Don't know all the bridges on Metrolinx lines, but having girders on flats would indicate there is an issue of getting them there by truck. Tomken Rd comes to mind for the new Weston Sub Bridge being built there.

Back