News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 460     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Since this is 4 tracks in the first place, there is no reason why 2 tracks can't be in service while 2 bridges are move and adding the 3rd one. Since this is being done on the weekend, hour service will take place in place of the current 30 minute. Its possible only one platform for the 2 stations will be use for both direction.

The bridge work itself will take place during the night, with track work and other work being done during the day.

New 5 track signal mast will have to be install first and tested before the 5th track can be use.

What's the status on the Barrie line, have they resumed work yet?

The two major RFP's, for a) the double tracking and b) the Davenport overpass, were issued in Feb-April 2018 but had not been awarded when the writ dropped. A third tender, for work at King City to resolve the freight interference, was posted shortly before the election, haven't heard if it has been awarded.

So, absolutely no shovels in the ground on that line, other than for small projects eg a layover track at Bradford.

- Paul

Since this is 4 tracks in the first place, there is no reason why 2 tracks can't be in service while 2 bridges are move and adding the 3rd one. Since this is being done on the weekend, hour service will take place in place of the current 30 minute. Its possible only one platform for the 2 stations will be use for both direction.

The bridge work itself will take place during the night, with track work and other work being done during the day.

Well, I guess that solidifies Canpa's purpose being for Dufferin / Dunn / Dowling bridge replacements. Any leads on other works they could package with it while the closure is on? Any track and signal works? Anything in the Willowbrook area? Anything for structures at:
  • Royal York
  • Mimico Creek
  • Park Lawn
  • The Gardiner
  • Humber Loop
  • South Kingsway
  • Windermere
  • Ellis Ave
  • Colborne Lodge
  • Parkside
  • Sunnyside Ped Bridge
  • Strachan

Well, I guess that solidifies Canpa's purpose being for Dufferin / Dunn / Dowling bridge replacements. Any leads on other works they could package with it while the closure is on? Any track and signal works? Anything in the Willowbrook area? Anything for structures at:
  • Royal York
  • Mimico Creek
  • Park Lawn
  • The Gardiner
  • Humber Loop
  • South Kingsway
  • Windermere
  • Ellis Ave
  • Colborne Lodge
  • Parkside
  • Sunnyside Ped Bridge
  • Strachan

The notice that came in the mail (looked like a mass bulk mail distribution to affected neighbourhoods) only spoke to the Colborne Lodge to Ellis bridges as this fall's work program.

Wish I had saved it, but I assumed that it would be on the ML website somewhere.

- Paul

^No sooner did I post the above than this arrived in my mailbox. Clearly ML continues to plan for the Barrie line, but no tenders awarded as yet.

- Paul

Paul can you assist what this means "To further support service expansion, Metrolinx identified the need to include the following five proposed stations along the Barrie rail corridor which were not evaluated in the BRCE EPR: Spadina-Front GO Station in the City of Toronto; Bloor-Lansdowne GO Station in the City of Toronto; Kirby GO Station in the City of Vaughan; Mulock GO Station in the Town of Newmarket; Innisfil GO Station in the Town of Innisfil".

I don't really understand the process here. Is there anything new or that has changed?

So they're proceeding with Kirby even though the numbers don't support it?

^As I understand it - and this may be jaded - after ML redid its station analysis to "legitimise" (something sticking in my craw) the addition of Kirby station as driven by SDD, Verster and company actually stood behind that (re)analysis, so now it's the official plan. The stations within the city are legitimised through other ML plans, with Bloor-Lansdowne being one of the items offered to Davenport residents to mitigate the overpass proposal, and Spadina-Front being an RER item. We should find the original and rewritten reports to understand where the others came from.

- Paul

The two major RFP's, for a) the double tracking and b) the Davenport overpass, were issued in Feb-April 2018 but had not been awarded when the writ dropped. A third tender, for work at King City to resolve the freight interference, was posted shortly before the election, haven't heard if it has been awarded.

So, absolutely no shovels in the ground on that line, other than for small projects eg a layover track at Bradford.

- Paul
geeze the delay is just too huge. It's already august. So it's really going to be 2024.

It should be an interesting weekend on LSW as the work to replace bridges in the Humber-Swansea area begins. This weekend’s goal is the Humber River bridge. There is a 50 hour work window to replace spans. Workers are already on site renewing the piers that support the bridge, with temporary roadways now in place and lots of grubbing along the ROW.
From the detail of the abutments on land, nothing appears to be getting roughed in towards another track, although piers may be getting extended, possibly allowing for that if the tracks are shifted somewhat.
The work will take until October, and will remove some of the heavily tagged CN insignia from bygone days.

- Paul
I was by there today on foot with Big Black Lab, not cycling, so got a chance to talk with the on-site grunts. No work this weekend that they know of. "Sometime coming" was the answer. "Maybe a month or so, still buttress work to do". They will be running triple track, one span replaced at a time, and it will take "about a week" for each one for prep and redressing after. I didn't get a time for actual hoisting in/out.

I got some pics of the cycle path detour, and the ridiculous totally ambiguous signs Roads have installed on the EB Queensway to Gardiner ramp. The painted bike lanes are improved over prior, but even as a very experienced cyclist....I'd dismount before crossing that slip road. Some idiot, like about one in three motorists, will run right through a cyclists following the marked cycle lane east, and the cut-off itself, as posted, bars cyclists and pedestrians, even though it leads directly to the alternate trail! WTF?

I'll post the pics in the General Cycling string, and post a link back here.

Toronto Roads' left hand doesn't know what its left hand is doing, let alone its right.

Addendum: I don't know what ML have in mind for the two bridges in a very poor state immediately to the east of the Humber, one of them being the underpass/ramp road mentioned, and the one just tens of metres adjacent, but the Humber spans are in *far better shape* and obviously a much greater load rating. I have to question the logic of replacing the Humber spans, at least from cursory visual inspection. I can fully understand the need to underpin the buttresses, but compared to the two ancient structures to the east that are in pathetic shape....????

I thought to take pics, and then thought not to, but will go back and take some unless they are also due for replacement.

Perhaps with the Humber spans, replacements aren't as 'deep' and thus allow a much greater draft for boats passing underneath?

Addendum on the horrific lack of planning for the cycle path detour: (with pics and details)
https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...onto-bike-friendly.4842/page-218#post-1361858

Last edited:
@gweed123 @mdrejhon @innsertnamehere I was under the impression that there was going to be a forced transfer west harbour because Metrolinx was not sure that they would be able to maintain their schedule over the welland canal. That is a huge bridge which ships pass through. Correct me if I am wrong?

The plan was supposed to be a transfer at West Harbour for Niagara and Hamilton-Toronto based trains. A through train can only go to St.Catharines.
That's the www.niagarago.ca intent, to connect at a Hamilton station (either West Harbour or Confederation).

But Metrolinx hedges a lot on details like this.

They clearly are also evaluating non-transfer plans too, as Metrolinx hedged on that.

I was at the Niagara GO Extension PIC and at the very end, talked to a supervisor overseeing the LW extension (Pretty much "Lakeshore West 3" -- the leg between Aldershot and Niagara -- as mentioned in the 2011 Niagara ESR). I was able to glean a limited amount of new information.

My impression was the scenario (single seat ride) is that it can go either way depending on a Corridor Capacity Study. This is the same study that is quoted as "More work is currently underway with CN to undertake a capacity study." -- in page 11 of this Niagara GO document (2015).

They were pretty hedging on details but they revealed me additional details on West Harbour complications -- a lot of what I already wrote at www.raisethehammer.org/article/2720 a few years ago.

But another new detail revealed to me that I never really thought of: regrading the dirt (east of West Harbour) approximately 1-to-2 meters lower is necessary too above and beyond.

Commentary/Opinion below:

Ford probably wants a one-seat ride probably.
If by surprise, $750M is planned for a Welland grade separation -- then that makes the corridor a bright future (like Kitchener corridor) and we should begin to consider 200kph electrified semiexpress commuter trains with similar stopping plans as the existing Niagara train -- but with Hamilton stop added. The Grimsby corridor is a really straight arrow. Not now, but over a 20 year timeline.

Might even someday move more people than a mid-pennisula freeway -- with proper transit installed in Hamilton, StCat and Niagara.

Last edited:
That's the www.niagarago.ca intent, to connect at a Hamilton station (either West Harbour or Confederation).

But Metrolinx hedges a lot on details like this.

They clearly are also evaluating non-transfer plans too, as Metrolinx hedged on that.

I was at the Niagara GO Extension PIC and at the very end, talked to a supervisor overseeing the LW extension (Pretty much "Lakeshore West 3" -- the leg between Aldershot and Niagara -- as mentioned in the 2011 Niagara ESR). I was able to glean a limited amount of new information.

My impression was the scenario (single seat ride) is that it can go either way depending on a Corridor Capacity Study. This is the same study that is quoted as "More work is currently underway with CN to undertake a capacity study." -- in page 11 of this Niagara GO document (2015).

They were pretty hedging on details but they revealed me additional details on West Harbour complications -- a lot of what I already wrote at www.raisethehammer.org/article/2720 a few years ago.

But another new detail revealed to me that I never really thought of: regrading the dirt (east of West Harbour) approximately 1-to-2 meters lower is necessary too above and beyond. Ford probably wants a one-seat ride probably.

Commentary/Opinion below:

If by surprise, $750M is planned for a Welland grade separation -- then that makes the corridor a bright future (like Kitchener corridor) and we should begin to consider 200kph electrified semiexpress commuter trains with similar stopping plans as the existing Niagara train -- but with Hamilton stop added. The Grimsby corridor is a really straight arrow. Not now, but over a 20 year timeline.

Might even someday move more people than a mid-pennisula freeway -- with proper transit installed in Hamilton, StCat and Niagara.
I would think the transfer is the better option for now imo. And lets see what the ridership is right before spending $750m on the Welland Canal seperation, which will affect the ships as well.

My prediction:
- One seat ride for four peak trains. (Guaranteed Welland drawbridge slots)
- Transfer needed for the offpeak and weekend AD2W service

EDIT: except maybe summer weekends; much like the seasonal now.

For those that are interested here are a couple of links for bridge status on the Welland Canal. So everyone can understand how busy the canal is when the Seaway is not frozen over

http://www.greatlakes-seaway.com/R2/jsp/R2.jsp?language=E&loc=NiaBrdgStatus.jsp
http://www.greatlakes-seaway.com/en/navigating/map/index_wel.html

Reactions: rbt

Back