News   Jul 11, 2024
 5.2K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 803     5 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 773     1 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

The Tannery mall is a depressing mall/medical office building thing on Davis in Newmarket, literally a couple of feet from the GO platform. You have to drive through it's parking lot to get to the hidden and rather undersized newmarket GO lot in behind. The place is falling apart and depressing as hell.
On top of that, the station is on a curb. There is enough room to double track the station with a new west side platform.

To me, the best thing is put it back where it used to be on the south side of Davis and buy the land on both side of the track for a new station and parking structure. You would need a wider bridge for the underpass so you can have platforms on it so the platforms are more straight than they are now. You will still have a curb to the south, but not as bad as it is today. I would use the old RR station as part of the new station. If you are going with shorter train compare to current ones, that south curb will not play a part in the new station.
33963314971_622d196b44_b.jpg

34052785126_891d97704d_b.jpg

33281953473_01570eb63f_b.jpg
This is what I was thinking as well. Another option is to buy the parking lot on the west side of the tracks and just extended the double track up to East Gwillimbury.

This is what I was thinking as well. Another option is to buy the parking lot on the west side of the tracks and just extended the double track up to East Gwillimbury.

Look at the EA. The ultimate goal is to have double-track all the way to Barrie.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

"The beautiful pedestrian bridge at #Ajax GO is now open. After a long list of improvements, all work at Ajax GO is now complete! #RER" https://twitter.com/StevenDelDuca/status/919916077865320449

There is an announcement at Ajax GO on Monday. I’m guessing this is construction/ expansion/ something RER-related?

Minister to Make an Announcement
October 13, 2017 3:00 P.M.
Ministry of Transportation

Steven Del Duca, Minister of Transportation and Joe Dickson, MPP for Ajax-Pickering, will make a transit announcement.

Date: Monday, Oct. 16, 2017

Time: 9 a.m.

100 Westney Rd. South
Ajax

My opinion is that eventually the Newmarket station will close in favour of just operating out of East Gwillimbury and Mulock. I understand GO has had a rocky relationship with the owner of the Tannery Mall.
What a terrible idea. Close the station that is surrounded by people, jobs, is zoned for density, and which is connected to a brand new Rapidway? And instead only operate the station that is currently surrounded by nothing but parking, and is due to be surrounded by nothing but more low density subdivisions.

What a terrible idea. Close the station that is surrounded by people, jobs, is zoned for density, and which is connected to a brand new Rapidway? And instead only operate the station that is currently surrounded by nothing but parking, and is due to be surrounded by nothing but more low density subdivisions.
Yes, this is logical. Grade separate Davis, add a second platform with a pedestrian bridge/tunnel, close East Gwillimbury, and don’t build Mulock. Then build a Vivastation under/above the station with stairs and elevator(s) to the platform. I have no ideal why Metrolinx want to close Newmarket GO, just buy than land around the station and build a parking structure.

Bridge to Earlscourt Park & South Extension of Davenport Diamond Multi-Use Trail to be Included in Bloor-Lansdowne GO Station EA

I am pleased to share the good news that Metrolinx has agreed to the community's request to include the bridge to Earlscourt Park and southward extension of the Davenport Diamond multi-use trail trail to the West Toronto Railpath as part of the environmental assessment for the Bloor-Lansdowne GO RER Station.

I look forward to continuing to work with community members and other elected officials to advocate for the community requirements that we established together to ensure our community benefits from this project. I look forward to sharing more information with you as it becomes available.

Yes, this is logical. Grade separate Davis, add a second platform with a pedestrian bridge/tunnel, close East Gwillimbury, and don’t build Mulock. Then build a Vivastation under/above the station with stairs and elevator(s) to the platform. I have no ideal why Metrolinx want to close Newmarket GO, just buy than land around the station and build a parking structure.

Isn't East Gwillimbury's ridership vastly higher than Newmarket's? Aren't an estimated significant percentage of Aurora GO's riders people who drive down from Newmarket who are predicted to use Mulock GO if it's built, relieving pressure at Aurora GO which is way over parking capacity? What possible sense does it make to close a very well-used GO station, not build another that's projected to have good ridership and allow more riders to use Aurora, force tons of people into cars and put them on the 404/DVP/Toronto local streets, and create tons of added GHG emissions, all for some improvements to a barely-used station?

I agree that they should expropriate the Tannery Mall, build a parking structure, and potentially not build Mulock, since a parking structure at Newmarket will take care of most of the reasons Mulock is desirable and Mulock's site is constrained by several physical size constraints and environmental factors. East Gwillimbury absolutely cannot be closed.

Bridge to Earlscourt Park & South Extension of Davenport Diamond Multi-Use Trail to be Included in Bloor-Lansdowne GO Station EA

I am pleased to share the good news that Metrolinx has agreed to the community's request to include the bridge to Earlscourt Park and southward extension of the Davenport Diamond multi-use trail trail to the West Toronto Railpath as part of the environmental assessment for the Bloor-Lansdowne GO RER Station.

I look forward to continuing to work with community members and other elected officials to advocate for the community requirements that we established together to ensure our community benefits from this project. I look forward to sharing more information with you as it becomes available.

I assume that's from the local Councillor or MPP?

Isn't East Gwillimbury's ridership vastly higher than Newmarket's? Aren't an estimated significant percentage of Aurora GO's riders people who drive down from Newmarket who are predicted to use Mulock GO if it's built, relieving pressure at Aurora GO which is way over parking capacity? What possible sense does it make to close a very well-used GO station, not build another that's projected to have good ridership and allow more riders to use Aurora, force tons of people into cars and put them on the 404/DVP/Toronto local streets, and create tons of added GHG emissions, all for some improvements to a barely-used station?

I agree that they should expropriate the Tannery Mall, build a parking structure, and potentially not build Mulock, since a parking structure at Newmarket will take care of most of the reasons Mulock is desirable and Mulock's site is constrained by several physical size constraints and environmental factors. East Gwillimbury absolutely cannot be closed.
I agree. I do not believe that EG should be closed. It will continue to serve that area very well, including future subdivisions being built in Queensville and whatever comes along Green Lane.

As you mentioned, Newmarket GO's ridership is currently constrained by the parking. Lots of current riders simply drive to Aurora or EG instead. Metrolinx should look at expropriating the Tannery Mall (and perhaps the land to the west of the tracks), or entering into some type of partnership, which will net them a parking garage and maybe some commercial/retail/residential development if they're creative (similar to plans at Port Credit).

Back