News   Jul 11, 2024
 5.1K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 766     5 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 730     1 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Ha! page was returned to its previous design now.

Darn. I should have got a screenshot. I liked the new design much better. I wonder why they changed it. Was it because it showed Kirby and that's a sensitive topic right now?

The Tannery mall is a depressing mall/medical office building thing on Davis in Newmarket, literally a couple of feet from the GO platform. You have to drive through its parking lot to get to the hidden and rather undersized newmarket GO lot in behind. The place is falling apart and depressing as hell.

The Tannery mall is a depressing mall/medical office building thing on Davis in Newmarket, literally a couple of feet from the GO platform. You have to drive through its parking lot to get to the hidden and rather undersized newmarket GO lot in behind. The place is falling apart and depressing as hell.
On top of that, the station is on a curb. There is enough room to double track the station with a new west side platform.

To me, the best thing is put it back where it used to be on the south side of Davis and buy the land on both side of the track for a new station and parking structure. You would need a wider bridge for the underpass so you can have platforms on it so the platforms are more straight than they are now. You will still have a curb to the south, but not as bad as it is today. I would use the old RR station as part of the new station. If you are going with shorter train compare to current ones, that south curb will not play a part in the new station.
33963314971_622d196b44_b.jpg

34052785126_891d97704d_b.jpg

33281953473_01570eb63f_b.jpg

There is an announcement at Ajax GO on Monday. I’m guessing this is construction/ expansion/ something RER-related?

Minister to Make an Announcement
October 13, 2017 3:00 P.M.
Ministry of Transportation

Steven Del Duca, Minister of Transportation and Joe Dickson, MPP for Ajax-Pickering, will make a transit announcement.

Date: Monday, Oct. 16, 2017

Time: 9 a.m.

100 Westney Rd. South
Ajax

There is an announcement at Ajax GO on Monday. I’m guessing this is construction/ expansion/ something RER-related?

Steven Del Duca, Minister of Transportation and Joe Dickson, MPP for Ajax-Pickering, will make a transit announcement.

100 Westney Rd. South
Ajax

Might have to do with the East Rail Maintenance Facility approaching completion. You know, then (if Liberals are still in) he'll have another one when it's really approaching completion, when it starts operating some services, when it's fully in use, and a retrospective a few months in.

Hate to be cynical, but I know Ajax station was one of the stations due to get a Tim Horton's trailer, maybe coffee is brewing on Tuesday.

It’s not being cynical when you are aware of the Minister’s proclivity for pointless photo ops promoting things like Timmy’s trailers. Who wants to bet that’s the reason this time as well?

100 Westney Rd. South
Ajax

Maybe related to the work on completing the pedestrian bridge?
http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/improve/projects/ajax/

A number of firms have been retained by ML to work on this particular line, or any/all within Toronto (gist) "to accelerate the electrification project". I didn't get exact details, or where the firm's CEO fits in the entire project, I'll ask more next week, and it includes architects in some capacity, and a pending errrr....'legal dispute' with the City. The gist of what I garnered was that "The Province has decided to put a rush on this, and are very short-staffed to do it in-house".

I really can't substantiate this with any way, albeit said CEO was hired, and we spoke at length on whether the Electricity Act would supplement the powers that Metrolinx already have in any dispute with the City. I briefly looked that up, and yes, as if the Metrolinx (and a couple associated) Act(s) don't have enough omnipotent (provincially) powers, any feeders at or over 115kV that ML might use also come under the Electricity Act with virtually untouchable powers.

I'd love to know what the dispute is about, but I suspect the press might get a leak on it. Evidently the number of firms retained is large.

My opinion is that York Univeristy station should be relocated a bit north against Steeles, and keep a stop at Steeles, with access from Steeles Ave and have a TTC bus stop there.

Only have RER trains stop there.

Use the pavement of the old York University station as a walkway (with a fence along the rail side to indicate its no longer a platform) to the existing entrance, if so someone wants to still use it.

Is Metrolinx keeping York U station after all? And what happened to Concord station? It's not on the map.

Back